Sony BDP-S6500 Blu-ray Player: Confused about DVD upscale setting

Jan 3, 2016
UK
I have this Sony BDP in my bedroom, hooked up to a Philips 19" HD TV.

In the manual it has settings for DVD upscaling as follows:

[DVD-ROM 24p Output]
[Auto]: Outputs 1920 × 1080p/24 Hz
video signals only when connecting a
1080/24p-compatible TV using the
HDMI OUT jack.
[Off]: Select this when your TV is not
compatible with 1080/24p video signals.

The underlined "Off" is what the manual refers to as the typical (default) setting. Surely this is a mistake in the manual?

Why would you NOT want the player to upscale DVD content to 1080/24p if you have a HD TV?

If you have a HD TV, I believe this does the up scaling as well...So the Blu-ray player's setting can be off.
This is true. (But double check that the Tv Does upscale)
I always leave my Sony Blu-ray player setting on auto and it's fine....
Also note: the Blu ray player will decode the surround sound before it gets to the receiver unless you tell it not to.
(Most Home theater owners prefer to have that setting off and let the receiver do the surround decoding because that is what they were built for). If you are just going straight to the TV don't worry about it.

This is true. (But double check that the Tv Does upscale)
I always leave my Sony Blu-ray player setting on auto and it's fine....
Also note: the Blu ray player will decode the surround sound before it gets to the receiver unless you tell it not to.
(Most Home theater owners prefer to have that setting off and let the receiver do the surround decoding because that is what they were built for). If you are just going straight to the TV don't worry about it.

Thanks. Yes, in this case the BDP is only connected to the TV
It's just an option setting for an SD TV. set it to AUTO and don't worry about it!;):thumbs:
(I have the same model, and the upconvert for DVDs is fine. Just set it to AUTO.)

As you have the same model, can you confirm something for me? Along the top panel of mine there is what appears to be (although I cannot be 100% certain) two removable film strips - a long one directly above the tray and a smaller one above the buttons to the right of the front panel. Does/did yours have these? I've been tempted to remove them but I'm not sure if they can be easily removed or it's part of the finish (although I doubt it because I can see what look like air bubbles underneath). I want to be certain as I don't want to wreck the finish!

Reactions: C.C. 95
Thanks. Yes, in this case the BDP is only connected to the TV

As you have the same model, can you confirm something for me? Along the top panel of mine there is what appears to be (although I cannot be 100% certain) two removable film strips - a long one directly above the tray and a smaller one above the buttons to the right of the front panel. Does/did yours have these? I've been tempted to remove them but I'm not sure if they can be easily removed or it's part of the finish (although I doubt it because I can see what look like air bubbles underneath). I want to be certain as I don't want to wreck the finish!
I can't remember about that...but you are familiar with the film strips that are along the bezels of HDTVs? Probably the same thing. (Especially of you notice air bubbles below the film). If it doesn't bother you, you can leave it alone!
But unless it is obviously serving a purpose, it is probably just protective film. I had that film on the outside of one of the bezels of one of my HDTVs for a year and half before i really noticed it!
Your call!

• Helpful Post
Reactions: kipper15