Sony to market PS3 as a 'total entertainment solution'

Apr 17, 2009
San Diego, CA
Sony has revealed that the platform holder intends to reposition the PlayStation 3 as an all-in-one entertainment device via a brand new marketing onslaught ahead of the launch of PS3 Slim.

“We have been a game company for years and we would never walk away from that, but research confirmed there is a larger proposition under our nose," SCEA’s Peter Dille told the LA Times. “We wanted to reposition as a total entertainment solution. We felt like we can really own entertainment."

While the console maker will still target the PS3 at hardcore gamers with the likes of future releases such as Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, the new ad push aims to attract "moms and families" too.

Having already launched in North America, one advertisement describes the system as "the greatest gaming, Blu-ray playing, move downloading system around,” while a second ad focuses on a teenager complaining about his grandmother utilizing his PS3 for watching movies.

PS3 Slim will retail for $299 USD and goes on sale during the first week of September.

bout time

geeze... Maybe should have thought of this during the format war? Not like it made a difference but I'm sure it could have shaved down the timeframe a little bit.

it only does everything.

good slogan if you ask me. the money is in the cohorts of people who know little of gaming. you should always buy a console for its games if you are cool like us :cool:, but most people aren't. they want a console that does the most stuff. the ps3 certainly has a lot of arguments for that. good ad

good slogan if you ask me. the money is in the cohorts of people who know little of gaming. you should always buy a console for its games if you are cool like us :cool:, but most people aren't. they want a console that does the most stuff. the ps3 certainly has a lot of arguments for that. good ad

im loving the add camping and the new slogan and the new logo and all the new stuff and they doing it with comedy instead of weird people going down the street on bikes yelling this is living.