Sound format help

psychoscot

Crazy Ninja 88
Premium Supporter
Oct 13, 2013
Solihull UK
Recently I have ugraded some of the stuff in my lounge, so now have spare equipment to set up in the bedroom.

Previously I used a PS3 as my bluray player with an optical cable running to an older Denon 3200 Dolby Digital receiver. The PS3 was set to bitstream/mix and my receiver was able to still play dts blurays in 5.1 Dolby, even though the receiver had no dts capabilities.

My question is that now I am going to buy a new bluray player that will be connected to the same older receiver what will I need to continue getting 5.1 sound. I have noticed that the cheaper players only have 2.0 dts output while the better players have dts master audio outpit.I will still be using the optical socket for connection purposes.

The player I'm currently looking at is the Samsung BD-F7500 which comes with both dolby/dts 7.1 output with dts HD bitsteam output. Will this machine work in the same way with my receiver and play back discs in 5.1 or is this something that only certain machines like the Ps3 are capable of doing?

Sorry I'm not the most tech savy when it comes to bluray, I stopped reading Home Cinema mags before bluray came out. Any help would be greatly appreciated before I go out and buy a machine and end up with 2 channel stereo lol

:)

It seems that receiver doesn't support 5.1/7.1 HD Audio. You can get that Samsung player and connect it with the Optical cable and get 5.1 Dolby Digital and DTS but No HD Audio.

Hiya mate, yeah getting HD audio is not going to be possibility due to the amp being only Doldby 5.1 which isn't a problem. I just feared it might only send 2.0 sound to the receiver as thats what happened when my parents bought a cheaper bluray machine with only DTS 2.0 and hooked it up to an older satalite speaker system with Dolby 5.1 amp. Whatever happened along the way their little amp/processor only seemed to pick up 2.0 from what the bluray player was sending it.

Most discs are DTS master audio which my amps still reads as dolby and plays them in 5.1

If you connect up up via optical cable and ensure the settings on the BD reflect this, it should automatically default to the lossy track. All Dolby TrueHD titles have a separate Dolby Digital 5.1 audio track and DTS-MA tracks default to the core 1.5 Mbps track (the MA bit is an extension that the BD player unzips to get get lossless, a bit like a windows ZIP folder or RAR file)

If you get any issues, feel free to PM me

Optical cable will definitely get you 5.1 Dolby Digital even on blu rays. It's weird that the receiver was sending put 2.0 maybe a setting was changed? I know most receivers have more settings to adjust a 2.0 audio and mix it to 5.1/6.1/7.1 or reversed audio like 5.1 to stereo or Mono. Check the settings on your receiver and makes sure it's either Pure audio or Direct audio, this will eliminate any other audio mixing.

Reactions: psychoscot
If you connect up up via optical cable and ensure the settings on the BD reflect this, it should automatically default to the lossy track. All Dolby TrueHD titles have a separate Dolby Digital 5.1 audio track and DTS-MA tracks default to the core 1.5 Mbps track (the MA bit is an extension that the BD player unzips to get get lossless, a bit like a windows ZIP folder or RAR file)

If you get any issues, feel free to PM me

Thanks for the info dude.

Yeah around 85% of my blurays are all DTS discs yet they still happily play in 5.1 on a Dolby only receiver lol. If indeed the discs have underlying sound decoding for non HD routes that the BD player will send to that amp same as a PS3 that suits me. The Samsung seems to have every sound option covered and an optical output socket so looks like a good bet. Many of the other machines I looked at no longer have optical sockets just HDMI only. Samsung also comes with 7.1 old fashion analogue connectors on the back which is extremely rare but will work well with my receiver as my laserdisc player has finally died on me recently too.