Space Jam: A New Legacy - In theaters July 16, 2021

Lin, Andrew Dodge and Alfredo Botello are writing the script for the follow-up to the 1996 original starring Michael Jordan.

Justin Lin, Andrew Dodge and Alfredo Botello are ready to shoot some intergalactic hoops with LeBron James.

The Fast & Furious 6 and Star Trek Beyond helmer is co-writing, with Dodge and Botello, Warner Bros.' Space Jam 2. Lin is also looking to direct and produce via his Perfect Storm Entertainment, and sources say he will be thoroughly involved in the creative development of the project.

Source

Big fan of the first film (still hoping for a steelbook release), mainly because MJ was my hero back in the day, so I'm interested in seeing how this turns out... not getting my hopes up though. Would be cool to see Bill Murray make an appearance again!

Big fan of the first film (still hoping for a steelbook release), mainly because MJ was my hero back in the day, so I'm interested in seeing how this turns out... not getting my hopes up though. Would be cool to see Bill Murray make an appearance again!
One of the first movies I remember watching in my younger days. And I loved it. Like yourself, I'm hoping for a steelbook :thumbs:
I just hope they don't mess this up.

One of the first movies I remember watching in my younger days. And I loved it. Like yourself, I'm hoping for a steelbook :thumbs:
I remember going to some sort of summer camp when I was a kid and they showed Space Jam in the theatre there... it was literally packed with hundreds of kids, and they were all silent throughout the entire movie... apart from the times when we were laughing our heads off, of course. :D

We haven't even had a standard blu-ray for it in the UK, but I definitely think it deserves some sort of special edition. It's actually the film's 20th anniversary at the end of this year I believe, so it'd be cool to see something released around then. :)

Whaaaat? Space Jam 2! Great news but I hope it's a decent script

In the same boat, so want a steelbook for space jam

HUGE fan of the 1st film! :woot: :cool: (in my opinion) I don't think this sequel is necessary :stop:. But it would be great if MJ did a cameo :thumbs:
@AlienKing @bluray hunter

This isn't a steelbook, but it's still pretty cool... check out @Snollygoster's awesome Criterion mock-up.

That's an awesome mock-up :notworthy: Hopefully a new bluray edition is released when part 2 is out in theaters ;)

LeBron James Sets 'Black Panther's' Ryan Coogler to Produce 'Space Jam' Sequel

via The Hollywood Reporter

In his first project since directing the record-breaking Black Panther, Ryan Coogler is teaming with LeBron James on the long-anticipated follow-up to the Michael Jordan-Bugs Bunny hit Space Jam,The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Coogler will produce the new Space Jammovie and Terence Nance, who created HBO’s Random Acts of Flyness and directed the experimental film The Oversimplification of Her Beauty, will direct. Production on the Warner Bros. film is tentatively slated for 2019, during the NBA off-season. It will be James’ first starring role after a successful turn as a supporting character in the 2015 Amy Schumer comedy Trainwreck.

Getting Coogler, whose credits also include Creed and Fruitvale Station, is a coup. The director is among the industry’s most sought-after artists. Not only did Black Panther break ground as a superhero movie from a black perspective with a black cast, but it has set a number of box-office benchmarks on its way to grossing $1.34 billion worldwide, including becoming the highest-grossing film ever by a black director.

“I loved his vision” for Black Panther, James tells The Hollywood Reporter, noting that when he was a kid growing up in Akron, Ohio, there were no black superheroes. "So for Ryan to be able to bring that to kids, it’s amazing.”

Space Jam has been long-rumored, with various directors and writers attached to the project over the years, including at one point Justin Lin, the action auteur behind the Fast & Furious movies. (Lin remains an executive producer.) The movement on the project coincides with James' recent surge in Hollywood film and TV projects as a producer. Just last week, NBC and The CW announced separate shows in development with James' SpringHill Entertainment.

The subtext of a James-headlined Space Jam sequel is the raging GOAT debate between James (who still has years left in the NBA) and Jordan (who has six NBA championships), players with pronounced personality differences. Jordan was a global superstar and endorsement king when he made the original 1996 film, which pulled in about $250 million worldwide and is still the highest-grossing basketball movie of all time. Space Jam was chock-full of cameos from NBA players (and Warner Bros.' Looney Toons). So it’s safe to assume the new iteration will include a plethora of basketball’s biggest stars, especially given James’ stature in the league. It's unclear at this point, however, if Jordan will be among those featured.

“The Space Jam collaboration is so much more than just me and the Looney Tunes getting together and doing this movie,” says James, “It's so much bigger. I'd just love for kids to understand how empowered they can feel and how empowered they can be if they don't just give up on their dreams. And I think Ryan did that for a lot of people.”

Woah my hype level increased tenfold for Space Jam 2 as WB are going all out for this with leaked photos showing that not only is it going to be all about the Looney Tunes this time but also The Joker, Pennywise, Jim Carrey’s The Mask, The Wicked Witch from the West making appearances. Which makes me wonder who else is going to make guest appearances and what other characters are going to be let out of the WB vault as I never thought we would see Jim Carrey’s The Mask in any shape or form again.

257C7DDC-C7D9-48D9-9E0A-67E6D8F006EB.jpeg

411A84D8-AEDA-40A6-B069-4064D796E1E6.jpeg

AEBED714-9D30-4588-B1AD-AFE82D7C734D.jpeg

598B1EEF-198D-4AF7-A8A5-6AAC0025B8D7.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: Noodles and Flloydo
Woah my hype level increased tenfold for Space Jam 2 as WB are going all out for this with leaked photos showing that not only is it going to be all about the Looney Tunes this time but also The Joker, Pennywise, Jim Carrey’s The Mask, The Wicked Witch from the West making appearances. Which makes me wonder who else is going to make guest appearances and what other characters are going to be let out of the WB vault as I never thought we would see Jim Carrey’s The Mask in any shape or form again.

View attachment 464273
View attachment 464274
View attachment 464275
View attachment 464276

apparently he will be a referee at one of the games which I now believe seeing the shirt hes wearing. I would say the others will be referees too but they are in their normal getup in those pics. Although the mask can change which is his thing so maybe they will be refs. Or in the crowd, or on the bench etc

apparently the mask is CGI and Carrey is doing the voice again. But there’s also been a lot of chat about him coming back for a sequel which he seems to be up for if the script is right. There’s also chat of a female mask reboot

Last edited:

View attachment 464273
View attachment 464274
View attachment 464275
View attachment 464276
apparently he will be a referee at one of the games which I now believe seeing the shirt hes wearing. I would say the others will be referees too but they are in their normal getup in those pics. Although the mask can change which is his thing so maybe they will be refs. Or in the crowd, or on the bench etc

apparently the mask is CGI and Carrey is doing the voice again. But there’s also been a lot of chat about him coming back for a sequel which he seems to be up for if the script is right. There’s also chat of a female mask reboot
First time I'm hearing of this, but that's awesome! Maybe they'll be the opposing team? The Mask as the ref is perfect lol.

First time I'm hearing of this, but that's awesome! Maybe they'll be the opposing team? The Mask as the ref is perfect lol.

Yeah I was impressed when I heard about the mask. Very fitting. I didn’t know about the others though until those pics. Joker and pennywise look a tad odd but the mask and witch are bang on

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database