Spaghetti Western and Western Thread

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
Any other fans here? If so any recommendations? Also do you buy them semi regularly?

Should we use this thread for recommendations to one another and post hauls ?

If a Spaghetti Western is on I will gladly watch it . I don't own any other than Django Unchained .

One that I do rate although not a Spaghetti Western is Silverardo the casting is fantastic as is the pace of storytelling .

@Wreck

Great thread sweetheart :) .

Reactions: Wreck
My two favourite westerns have to be the original Django and Once Upon a Time in the West (which i still need to get on Blu-ray)

Not seen the Dollars Trilogy for so long now (but did get the remastered BD set recently) so i need to revist them

Reactions: Wreck
If a Spaghetti Western is on I will gladly watch it . I don't own any other than Django Unchained .

One that I do rate although not a Spaghetti Western is Silverardo the casting is fantastic as is the pace of storytelling .

@Wreck

Great thread sweetheart :) .

Yes Silverado is a good flick. I own that in a digibook.

My two favourite westerns have to be the original Django and Once Upon a Time in the West (which i still need to get on Blu-ray)

Not seen the Dollars Trilogy for so long now (but did get the remastered BD set recently) so i need to revist them

I still need to watch the original Django. Once upon a time had a great transfer least the US version I bought some years ago. I dont know why but I'm finding so much charm lately in older westerns. Maybe its cause its a genre and period that I have seen very little on. All the modern or westerns from last 20 years or so I've seen. Least the big blockbuster ones. Really digging the older flicks (on blu only; im a snob) cause I'm looking at the movies and appreciating the film for more then just the acting and story. The scenery, sets, landscape etc.

I'm really stoked for Hateful Eight because of this. QT bringing back the long lost art form. So far cant find a cinema near me doing the 70mm. I may literally try and travel a few hours if I can find a theater. I wonder if there will end up being a list posted online of all the theaters that will have it. I guess any theater supposedly showing it on Christmas tho would have 70mm since the later release date is for digital.

Watching it at the New Beverly would be pretty damn cool ... eh? @Marina Blue

Reactions: Marina Blue
Franco Nero is the dogs bollocks in Django. Incredibly awesome!

Now Is The Time To Buy The Original Django On Blu-Ray.jpg

Our local independent cinema in London (The Prince Charles) has just purchased a 70mm projector so looking forward to seeing The Hateful 8 with @cooey

Reactions: cooey
Yes Silverado is a good flick. I own that in a digibook.

I still need to watch the original Django. Once upon a time had a great transfer least the US version I bought some years ago. I dont know why but I'm finding so much charm lately in older westerns. Maybe its cause its a genre and period that I have seen very little on. All the modern or westerns from last 20 years or so I've seen. Least the big blockbuster ones. Really digging the older flicks (on blu only; im a snob) cause I'm looking at the movies and appreciating the film for more then just the acting and story. The scenery, sets, landscape etc.

I'm really stoked for Hateful Eight because of this. QT bringing back the long lost art form. So far cant find a cinema near me doing the 70mm. I may literally try and travel a few hours if I can find a theater. I wonder if there will end up being a list posted online of all the theaters that will have it. I guess any theater supposedly showing it on Christmas tho would have 70mm since the later release date is for digital.

Watching it at the New Beverly would be pretty damn cool ... eh? @Marina Blue

I'm sure there will be a list of theaters that will be exhibiting Hateful Eight in 70mm. The New Bev is too small to project it, but Arclight Cinema's Cinerama Theater will most likely have it in LA.

The Chinese Theater might be another possibility for 70mm. There are other large theaters in LA that could host it.

After the initial 70mm run, prints and projectors could be spread out throughout the US and Internationally. QT wants as many people as possible to see it in it's original format.

Arclight.JPG

00-00-00-14-24-85-142485_2140173.jpg

@Marina Blue

I contacted a manager at Warren Theatres via the website and he was under the impression they werent getting but they have some of the NICEST theaters there are. Also huge IMAX screens in Wichita, KS and Moore OK

http://www.warrentheatres.com/index.asp
Wreck, they also have to have the 70mm film projectors and the hardware... reels, etc. This is film and most theaters scrapped their (35mm) film projectors long ago, most never had 70mm (film projectors). There are still a few in LA.

There may not be more than 50 locations in the US.

I plan on going somewhere to see it in 70. If I have to fly, I'll probably go to LA. :)

Link for 70mm theaters in the US.
www.redballoon.net/current70mmus.html

Last edited:
Reactions: C.C. 95
gettyimages-459387118.jpg

http://fortune.com/2015/06/09/quentin-tarantino-70mm-projectors-hateful-eight/
Movie theaters could get special equipment for Quentin Tarantino's next film.

June 9, 2015, 5:18 PM EDT

Tarantino is all about 70mm film

A handful of movie theaters across the U.S. might be outfitted with special film projectors for film director Quentin Tarantino’s next project. The Pulp Fiction director shot his latest epic, a Western titled The Hateful Eight, using 70-millimeter film — a large, high-resolution format that predates the current filmmaking standard of digital video.
The only problem? Not that many movie theaters are equipped with projectors wide enough to accommodate the film, which used to be more prevalent among Hollywood directors who used it to make such classic films as 1959’s Ben Hur and 1966′ Khartoum. Today, most movies are shot on digital cameras and theaters project them digitally. Tarantino is unabashedly against digital filmmaking, as the director frequently makes clear in heated rants such as one last year at the Cannes Film Festival when he proclaimed that “digital projection is the death of cinema.”
While many theaters still have 35mm projectors (Tarantino’s earlier works are shot on 35mm film), very few carry 70mm projectors. While film equipment company Panavision has yet to confirm any retrofitting plan, The Hollywood Reporter reports that there are plans in the works to outfit as many as 50 theaters in the U.S. with the 70mm projectors.
Last year, director Christopher Nolan encouraged moviegoers to see his sci-fi epic Interstellar in IMAX theaters, as parts of the film were filmed for the larger format. THR also reports that the first planned Star Wars spinoff, Star Wars Anthology: Rogue One, will be shot in the 70mm format.

One I have been wanting to see forever is THE GREAT SILENCE. It is supposed to be a masterpiece that not many have seen. I know that a score by Morricone makes it an automatic must see on it it's own! I know it was remastered a few years back for DVD- but I don't think there has been a Blu ray yet.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Never seen or heard of The Great Silence, will have to look it up.
A big fan of Tombstone, Open Range, Silverado to name a few also enjoyed the recent Jesse James with Brad Pit.
Not enough westerns nowadays.
I agree with everything you just said! Check out the wesetern THE SALVATION with Mads Mikkelson and Jeffrey Dean Morgan. Both of those guys were born to be in westerns! Also Lawrence Kasdan's WYATT EARP, APPALOOSA with Ed Harris & Viggo Mortensen.
You Want a really neat one that is waaaayyy off the radar- saw this in 1990 in the theater! Two great actors going at it. It's like a western Creepshow or Trick or Treat anthology movie!
FI8jk7Hf7cxOah_4_a.jpg

(Sorry to divert the thread from Spaghetti westerns! Back to that!)

Last edited:
Another great western is Robert Altman's McCabe & Mrs. Miller.
I first saw it in a hotel room in the late 80's, and the cinematography and Leonard Cohen soundtrack just sucked me in. There is no other western like it. And Vilmos Zsigmond's cinematography is just epic. There are volumes written about how he shot that. (Like putting pinholes in the negative to punch up the snow effect). Not for every taste (I usually don't like Altman's style of filmmaking- but this one I love.) but it has atmosphere in spades. You feel like you are transported to that time and place.
McCabe-Mrs.-Miller-Event-Image.jpg

Not seen M&MM. (lazy), for a long time. I remember it as not the usual western for the times. Wasn't Beatty like a hobo or drunk?. Another to look up.
Thanks for mentioning it.
McCabe is a Gambler who comes to a mining town and starts a brothel (and the townsfolk believe him to be a gunfighter). Mrs. Miller is a british woman who comes to town and becomes his business partner in the brothel because she makes it more profitable (since she knows how to make the Prostitutes happy).
Eventually, the mining company wants to buy out McCabe and Mrs. Miller when they see how much money they are pulling in. When McCabe refuses, the Mining company sends 3 bounty hunters...etc, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: halliwell