On Air Star Trek: Discovery (Season 5) [Paramount+]

SteelCollz

Premium Supporter
May 25, 2015
Germany
Premiering in January 2017, CBS is developing a new series for the popular Star Trek franchise and will also be globally distributing. More info to follow.

"The brand-new Star Trek will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966."

As announced here: New Star Trek Series Premieres January 2017

Executive Producers: Alex Kurtzman, Heather Kadin
Alex Kurtzman will serve as executive producer for the new Star Trek TV series. Kurtzman co-wrote and produced the blockbuster films Star Trek (2009) with Roberto Orci, and Star Trek Into Darkness (2013) with Orci and Damon Lindelof. Both films were produced and directed by J.J. Abrams.

The new series will be produced by CBS Television Studios in association with Kurtzman’s Secret Hideout. Kurtzman and Heather Kadin will serve as executive producers. Kurtzman is also an executive producer for the hit CBS television series Scorpion and Limitless, along with Kadin and Orci, and for Hawaii Five-0 with Orci. (Source: startrek.com)

discovery.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It would have been really good to have the film cast be in the series like the original concept that would have been really cool. I would have loved to have seen Pine and Quinto's Kirk and Spock on a more frequent basis

It's been made clear that the rights to the films and tv show are owned by totally different companies so there is no chance of the films being involved. Personally I'm glad as I loathe those recent films and pretend they don't exist. But each to their own!

It's been made clear that the rights to the films and tv show are owned by totally different companies so there is no chance of the films being involved. Personally I'm glad as I loathe those recent films and pretend they don't exist. But each to their own!

I know that, I was just saying I would have liked that :thumbs:

Why is the fact that the Captain is female odd? I mean has already been an awesome female Captain in the Star Trek universe in Voyager.

I do however agree I just know that it's going to PC crazy which I find a shame things should just be and not have to be a set anything.
Oh ,don't get me wrong i love captain janeway as much as the next guy but i think their motives for choosing a female lead are not on the up and up.

Star Trek has always had amazing captains both male and female black and white but this seems like a politically motivated move.Can you imagine if they had a white male captain? They would be off the air in three episodes.I just think it's so obvious to what crowd they are pandering too instead of making another amazing Star Trek show.

Why is the fact that the Captain is female odd? I mean has already been an awesome female Captain in the Star Trek universe in Voyager.

I do however agree I just know that it's going to PC crazy which I find a shame things should just be and not have to be a set anything.
Its not the fact that it is a female. We readily accept a female character when it is just organic.
But, recently (in these PC times), the female character is created to force a "point" or an "overt sociopolitical statement".
Ripley was just Ripley. Sarah Connor was just Sarah Connor. Furiosa was just Furiosa.
Roles like Vanessa Helsing, and Wynonna Earp are created for PC reasons, not organic. They are there for reasons outside the fiction. ("Because it is time" is not a good reason change genders in a story.)
I disliked Janeway mostly because I can't stand Kate Mulgrew as an actress. But over the years, Trek kept shoehorning in so many women in powerful positions in Starfleet, that it felt completely unrealistic.
Overcompensating, as it were.(It felt like every freakin Admiral was a woman).
As long as something is organic to the story and the universe, it will be fine.
But when the 21st Century comes barging its political head in the door, it kind of blows the illusion.
"Oh, it's a woman because Paramount/CBS is a strong Women's Rights company" rather than "Oh, it's a Woman because (the story)".

But, recently (in these PC times), the female character is created to force a "point" or an "overt sociopolitical statement".
Ripley was just Ripley. Sarah Connor was just Sarah Connor. Furiosa was just Furiosa.
Roles like Vanessa Helsing, and Wynonna Earp are created for PC reasons, not organic. They are there for reasons outside the fiction. ("Because it is time" is not a good reason change genders in a story.)

Know what you mean. I can think of at least 2 shows I used to love that have been hijacked by the PC brigade to such a degree they are now unwatchable.
No my idea of The Next Generation 25 years on would have been the best idea as it's the most popular of all the Star Trek franchises and would have the best chance of success... But sadly it does seem as if Political correctness will be the main running theme in this new show.

The new Star Trek TV series has a captain.
468043117-Jason-Isaacs-1.jpg

CBS announced today that the Harry Potter actor Jason Isaacs has signed on to play Captain Lorca, Captain of the Starship Discovery in the upcoming TV series Star Trek: Discovery.

Didn't like that at all. Didn't look or feel like Star Trek but more like the recent film series. Not what I wanted at all... But what do i know?. Why do CBS and the recent film makers hate fans of the original Star Trek so much. What did we do to piss them off?

Last edited:
What a great start to this series. Loved every second of it despite minor flaws. Cast, CGI and the Fuller-esque mythology questioning were an absolute treat to see. Can't wait for the next episodes! :hungry:

• Thanks
Reactions: kaw
What a great start to this series. Loved every second of it despite minor flaws. Cast, CGI and the Fuller-esque mythology questioning were an absolute treat to see. Can't wait for the next episodes! :hungry:

For sure! Very curious where it is going and I like that it is serialized rather then procedural (or maybe that will change after a few episodes in?).
I was also impressed with the quality of the show. It could pass for a feature film a lot of the time.

How is it being shown over there?
Here in Canada it is being broadcasted on SPACE and they showed the first 2 episodes last night. In the USA you have to subscribe to CBS All Access.
I heard that for the rest of the world Netflix will be getting it? Is that true?

• Thanks
Reactions: SteelCollz
Yep it's Netflix in the UK and I don't use it. So I won't be seeing it any time soon.... And since these deals tend to tie up the show for years, I don't think it'll be on any free for view channel for years. Look at Battlestar for example. Only way to see it here is DVD or blu-ray. Never been on a free for view channel in the UK.

I enjoyed the first 2 episodes a lot but it doesn't feel like Star Trek, it doesn't have that feel of exploration or boldly going where no man has gone before, and partly because instead of being a show about exploration in the 23rd century it's a show about identity politics in the 21st Century. That's an ok subject to touch on here and there but it's not what Trek is about.

It feels like a great companion piece to the rebooted universe and it tonaly matches it perfectly, so I guess my generations Star Trek died and the new universe rose from its Ashes.