4K-USA Star Trek: The Motion Picture - The Director’s Edition (4K + Blu-ray Bonus Disc + Digital) [USA]

Space Cadet

[Far above the moon]
Premium Supporter
Nov 26, 2017
Finland
Release date: September 6, 2022
Purchase link: Amazon
Price: $30.99

81VUFOWIwoL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thanks
Reactions: el barto
I'll reserve judgement until I see the full specs but having suffered those dire recent films and Discovery It'll be a pleasure to watch this whatever they give us.

I have no idea what this is.
The Director's cut had new special effects that were rendered in Standard Definition.
The only way this could be made high def is to redo all of those special effects from scratch in HD.
The only thing I can think of - is that all the DC additions are going to be SD upconverts.
(I highly doubt they got the money to rerender all those special effects (a la STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION blu rays)).
And 4K with 480 SD upconverted scenes would be awful.

*fingers crossed, though - I love ST:TMP

According to the studio, the upcoming 4K Blu-ray release will feature brand new DOLBY VISION/HDR GRADE AND DOLBY ATMOS TRACK as well as extensive new bonus content, plus legacy bonus content. :thumbs:

According to the studio, the upcoming 4K Blu-ray release will feature brand new DOLBY VISION/HDR GRADE AND DOLBY ATMOS TRACK as well as extensive new bonus content, plus legacy bonus content. :thumbs:
Will be interesting to see the special effects upgrades and the late Robert Wise wanted a lot of them

Reactions: C.C. 95
They basically needed the recreate all the SFX that were exclusive to the Standard Definition Director's Cut.
looking forward to seeing that. It is a minor miracle that they are doing this at all. (Conventional wisdom would have suggested that they would just "live with" an upconvert for those scenes (Instead of spending $$ for the new effects)).

They basically needed the recreate all the SFX that were exclusive to the Standard Definition Director's Cut.
looking forward to seeing that. It is a minor miracle that they are doing this at all. (Conventional wisdom would have suggested that they would just "live with" an upconvert for those scenes (Instead of spending $$ for the new effects)).

By Bill Hunt at The Digital Bits:

In 2001, director Robert Wise revisited the film to refine the edit and enhance the visual effects. His updated vision was released on DVD in standard definition and embraced by fans but has never been available in higher definition until now. Meticulously assembled and restored by producer David C. Fein with preservationist Mike Matessino, both of whom originally collaborated with Wise, the film has been prepared for presentation in 4K Ultra HD with Dolby Vision high dynamic range (HDR) and a new powerful and immersive Dolby Atmos soundtrack. Fein and Matessino assembled a team of special effects experts, led by returning visual effects supervisor Daren Dochterman, and utilized the extensive resources in the Paramount Archives to recreate the effects not just in HD, but in Ultra HD. After more than six months of painstaking work, the updated movie looks and sounds better than ever while staying true to Wise’s original intention.

The Star Trek: The Motion Picture – Director’s Edition is now official for Paramount+ on 4/5 & 4K Ultra HD in September

Sounds like they're going to do it right, if that statement's accurate :thanks:

Reactions: C.C. 95

Retail sources in Europe have begun dropping pre-order listings for Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, and the Star Trek: The Motion Picture – Director’s Edition in 4K Ultra HD. The Director’s Edition we already knew was coming in September as announced by Paramount when it debuted on Paramount+.

The European listings suggest that each title will arrive at retail individually, V on 9/12 (which would be 9/13 here in the States), VI on 9/19 (9/20 in the States), and finally The Director’s Edition on 9/26 (9/27 here). Those dates seem entirely consistent with what we would expect here on this side of the Atlantic.

Note
In regards to the USA release
This is director's cut on 4K UHD

The Blu-ray disc is a extras disc

Digital Code will have both Theatrical Cut and Director's Cut