Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope OST (Limited Edition Gold Vinyl)

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Released: June 3, 2016.
Purchase:
Amazon UK - £21.99
Amazon DE - €23.99
3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Noodles
Very nice! Shame the "gold" vinyl actually looks brown though. No movement on my Amazon order yet... :yawn:

Gold and silver colored vinyl are next to picture discs the ones with the baddest sound. So be glad that's not that glittery and more brownish. The sound is what we're are here for :thumbs:

Gold and silver colored vinyl are next to picture discs the ones with the baddest sound. So be glad that's not that glittery and more brownish. The sound is what we're are here for :thumbs:
Do certain colours really affect the sound? That's news to me... I genuinely didn't know that :bag: lol.

• Thanks
Reactions: Flloydo and dan8885
Do certain colours really affect the sound? That's news to me... I genuinely didn't know that :bag: lol.

Yes. I also thought it's BS but I read some weeks ago an article about it. Would love to send it to you but it's in german. The purest form of vinyl is clear. Black is also 'colored'. Vinyl comes as granules like rice. There's 10-15 colors on the market of those granules. And using this colors there's a higher chance of 'non fills' in the grooves where the needle scratches and the sound get worse. The colored granules also is sometimes very low quality but they improved it a little in the last two years. Especially metallic gold and silver is bad. Marble-, Splatter- and Split got also a higher chance of those 'non fills'. Picture Discs are the worst of the worst and it shouldn't even called a vinyl because the picture is glued as a foil on the vinyl and the groove is pressed into this foil and not into the vinyl itself. And there's another problem with colored vinyl. Normally the press is adjusted on black vinyl with temperature and pressure and the press runs 24 hours. For colored granules they need to stop the machine, clean the machine, the machine gets cold and then they start running it again. This abets unbalanced spreading in the machine of the material and goes unbalanced into the vinyl what makes another not wanted noise on the record. If you want the best sound pick always black. Sorry if any English words are wrong, I hope you get most of it :p

Yes. I also thought it's BS but I read some weeks ago an article about it. Would love to send it to you but it's in german. The purest form of vinyl is clear. Black is also 'colored'. Vinyl comes as granules like rice. There's 10-15 colors on the market of those granules. And using this colors there's a higher chance of 'non fills' in the grooves where the needle scratches and the sound get worse. The colored granules also is sometimes very low quality but they improved it a little in the last two years. Especially metallic gold and silver is bad. Marble-, Splatter- and Split got also a higher chance of those 'non fills'. Picture Discs are the worst of the worst and it shouldn't even called a vinyl because the picture is glued as a foil on the vinyl and the groove is pressed into this foil and not into the vinyl itself. And there's another problem with colored vinyl. Normally the press is adjusted on black vinyl with temperature and pressure and the press runs 24 hours. For colored granules they need to stop the machine, clean the machine, the machine gets cold and then they start running it again. This abets unbalanced spreading in the machine of the material and goes unbalanced into the vinyl what makes another not wanted noise on the record. If you want the best sound pick always black. Sorry if any English words are wrong, I hope you get most of it :p
Very interesting and informative... thanks for posting! Thankfully I don't own any picture discs as I'm not a big fan of them, although I have always wondered how they were made... now I know. :p

• Thanks
Reactions: Flloydo and dan8885

Very interesting, I did not know that.
Luckily a lot nowadays come with digital downloads too just in case

• Thanks