Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
Release date: August 3, 2020
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre-order on May 21, around 9 AM for Red Carpet , at 12 PM general sale - UK time)
Price: £29.99
Note: 3 discs

12584863-1924769381743461.jpg

12584863-1244769382074100.jpg 12584863-1434769381918943.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Why this poster was used rather than one of the more famous ones I don't know, but as disappointing as that is, you really can't blame Zavvi or the way they are handling it. What does anyone expect them to say? Yes, this is what it'll look like (pretty obvious really), we'll try to change it (good luck with that), buy it or don't buy it, we don't care (no chance). Zavvi aren't going to speak out against Disney no matter what.

I too consider steelbooks to be a premium product. You can be paying £10 extra or more for a shiny tin to hold your otherwise cheaply produced disc. Be honest, how many times have we complained about the finish being substandard or the amaray art being superior? Hundreds? Thousands? Yet here we are still keeping the industry going.

There are many examples of franchises not matching, but only Zavvi keeps getting grief over it. Some include (not all Zavvi but all UK versions)...

War for the Planet of the Apes - no title on spine
The Force Awakens - no title on spine
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 - no title on spine
First release MCU titles - just all over the place
Batman Forever - poster on front, logo on back - opposite of the other 3

So on and so forth.

Reactions: Stygian
One things for sure, the art is pretty unpopular. If ANH had been available at this long after going live, I’d have a copy on pre-order and since Empire is almost universally considered the best SW movie, it’s clear That the problem is the art. I’m just going to hold out and hope this comes to Best Buy (and maybe we’ll get lucky and get the good art for Empire too.

I think I said this earlier, but it’s worth noting that ANH’s art is subject to change, while Empire‘s page does not say that. For everyone who got a copy of ANH, I hope they don’t change it on you.

Last edited:
that rumored print run of 3500 for the ANH steelbook seems laughable. there were like 10,000 order numbers between mine this morning.

• Haha
Reactions: djjez83
You can’t stick up for them ignoring questions on social media and not doing their job by providing a customer service. You can’t. It’s bad customers service regardless if they are known for that anyway. I’ve worked in customer service for my last few jobs over the past decade and no other retailer company would simply ignore that many questions. Even if they just answered one of the “will you be changing the art to keep in line with the other 2” with the truth that they can’t and it’s out of their hands. But for some reason zavvi in particular don’t like to be honest in those situations. They’d rather hide behind a rock and pretend they can’t see the comments and reviews. They’d rather not answer to make more sales. I know drug dealers that are more honest with better customer service!!! Lol

Okay they will get sh!t for it online but at least it gives some clarity on the issue with the art and where they stand with it. Even if they are trying to get it changed behind the scenes which they might be then say it. It’s terrible customer service, terrible communication and even worse when they are ignoring hundreds of social media posts but answering the odd “when is this out” “how many discs” questions. If they were honest and just addressed the situation then the constant questions about the art would die down. They do NOT make it easy for themselves

it’s embarrassing. Makes them look so small and unprofessional

that rumored print run of 3500 for the ANH steelbook seems laughable. there were like 10,000 order numbers between mine this morning.
Zavvi get thousands of orders each week they sell lots of different products not just steelbooks :naughty:

A new hope sold out fast because it's a 3,500 print run and was a high demand release.

3,500 to 4,000 is standard print run anyway in UK for back catalogue steelbook releases
Some can be even lower 2,000 etc

Last edited:
Still not sold out. So much for all the cretins saying demand will be the same as for "A New Hope".. this has killed interest for at least some of the community
If it takes a day or a few weeks/months to sell out it's the same end result

If this is sold out before release date it dont matter how quick it took to sell out

Reactions: jonnybobbytimmy
Zavvi sell lots of items covering a wide range of products
They dont just sell steelbooks :rofl:
:shipped: obviously, dude.
A new hope sold out fast because it's a 3,500 print run and was a high demand release.
but how many were they manufacturing for this one after that initial artwork backlash? if they arent move as many in a day as quickly as they did in a few hours on the last film, wouldn't they call it a wash and mark it as sold out to keep up appearances, as people claim they do? (until people cancel their orders over the next few weeks, and it shows up as back in stock again briefly before release date, etc.)

:shipped: obviously, dude.

but how many were they manufacturing for this one after that initial artwork backlash? if they arent move as many in a day as quickly as they did in a few hours on the last film, wouldn't they call it a wash and mark it as sold out to keep up appearances, as people claim they do? (until people cancel their orders over the next few weeks, and it shows up as back in stock again briefly before release date, etc.)
It does not matter if it takes a few days or a few weeks to sell out