Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
Release date: August 3, 2020
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre-order on May 21, around 9 AM for Red Carpet , at 12 PM general sale - UK time)
Price: £29.99
Note: 3 discs

12584863-1924769381743461.jpg

12584863-1244769382074100.jpg 12584863-1434769381918943.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Checkout this post from someone over at Reddit. It appears their 2 ESB have slightly different coloring/vibrancy. One is definitely more bright blue
View attachment 481365

unfortunately this is normal.

I've had two of the same steel in front of me countless times and you can always see a small difference in colour. Sometimes they are brighter and more vivid and sometimes not so much.

Colour-wise, me too. But if we're talking art and cohesion as a set I still prefer with the magnet. Can't stand that floating head "artwork" :wtf:

Yeah sorry I meant tonally. I’d pick that art over floaty head art any day but the floaty head art isn’t as bad as thought it would be

Reactions: Mickle_89
I reached out to Scanavo direct regarding this, considering Zavvis useless waiting game, to see what their angle is on the situation, i sent a few sample pics of the issues, and this is the response i received this morning.....
------------------------------------------------------->
Hi
First of all, many thanks for the support and interest in our SteelBook® brand.

Yes we are aware of the situation and are looking into this as we speak.

Please note, that after we have produced the SteelBook® cases they travel on a little journey before the end up at the retailers. We do a quality check before sending out the SteelBook® cases to make sure everything is alright with the products before shipment. However, the scratches may have happened at the replicator or during transportation. Nevertheless, this should of course have been noticed before shipment to the end-consumers so I’m sorry to hear that this isn’t the case in this situation.

In regards to getting a new edition without scratches, please reach out to Zavvi in this regard, but yes if all the SteelBook® cases have been damaged I assume a reprint will the solution here.

Thanks again for the note. I hope you receive a new and unscratched edition asap.

Best regards,

Jullie

Med venlig hilsen / Best regards,

Jullie Huus

International Project Manager –
SteelBook ® Division
I can't see how the scratches might have occurred during transportation, unless they are transported 'naked' at some point before the j-card is attached and they are shrink-wrapped...

I can't see how the scratches might have occurred during transportation, unless they are transported 'naked' at some point before the j-card is attached and they are shrink-wrapped...
Scanavo only make the steelbook these often can be just shipped to the distributors in a box not protected inside

The distributor when they get delivery then put the discs inside and attaches Jcard and shrink wraps

The retailer then waits for delivery

The scratches are under the gloss finish so only could of have happened when Scanavo was making the steelbooks

Reactions: St4rlord
Scanavo only make the steelbook these often can be just shipped to the distributors in a box not protected inside

The distributor when they get delivery then put the discs inside and attaches Jcard and shrink wraps

The scratches are under the gloss finish so only could of have happened when Scanavo was making the steelbooks
Exactly - that's the point I was trying to make - this would not (and could not) have happened during transportation.

Reactions: paulboland
Got the steel with the same marks.
Zavvi just gave me a full refund.
I can live with that.

Nice, so they give overseas customers a no quibble (full) refund and you still get to keep the item, but yet others (UK at least I know of) are being made to wait and fobbed off with generic "we have raised this with warehouse..." blah blah :rolleyes: I followed up with them last night after my initial email with pictures, and just received today "as soon as we have an update from our supplier we will let you know a suitable solution...". W@nkers :cautious:

I think it’s clear these marks were a manufacturing issue on the machines when they roll through. Don’t know what Scanavo are on about in transit. This is clear because of the multitude and duplication of marks on each steel it was 100% a manufacturing issue. 100% not in transit to the retailer.

The fact they even say if all steels are damaged they assume a reprint will be in order confirms to me they know exactly what’s happened but for some odd reason won’t admit their fault. Maybe they are arranging all this behind the scenes with Zavvi and can’t Let that info out yet. Maybe if it’s agreed that a reprint will happen the info has to come from Zavvi. And I think Zavvi are just waiting for as many people to contact them hence the copy and paste “we have contacted the warehouse”

they are even encouraging people on social media to contact them about ESB and TRoJ if they have received damaged copies with the marks on the front of empire and spine slashes or other issues with Jedi. I think they are collating all the numbers together (some haven’t even received this yet and some people who have, have only just contacted them like myself) and for the ones that want a refund or partial refund they can sort that out there and then

Last edited:
Reactions: Punker76

This.

Reactions: a_o
Nice, so they give overseas customers a no quibble (full) refund and you still get to keep the item, but yet others (UK at least I know of) are being made to wait and fobbed off with generic "we have raised this with warehouse..." blah blah :rolleyes: I followed up with them last night after my initial email with pictures, and just received today "as soon as we have an update from our supplier we will let you know a suitable solution...". W@nkers :cautious:
I think it dependents 100% on what employee you get in the chat

I'm an overseas customer too and I've been told to wait on what Bob, the warehouse manager, thinks of the situation. He's asking Rob, the security guard... but he's on a break ATM. Rob will then pass the message on to Shelly next weekend when she's on a night shift, she's their QC expert, and she'll then confirm with Tim the lorry driver, just to make sure he didn't cause this back at the Scanavo plant that he's never been to.

I'm an overseas customer too and I've been told to wait on what Bob, the warehouse manager, thinks of the situation. He's asking Rob, the security guard... but he's on a break ATM. Rob will then pass the message on to Shelly next weekend when she's on a night shift, she's their QC expert, and she'll then confirm with Tim the lorry driver, just to make sure he didn't cause this back at the Scanavo plant that he's never been to.
What?! :wacky:
silly rant.gif

:LOL::naughty:

• Haha
Reactions: Noodles
Snapped some photos of my copy today to send off to Zavvi... must admit they were quite tricky to pick up on camera, but I managed it eventually.

Requested a 50% refund since that's apparently the most they've given out so far and I think it's only fair everyone else receives the same. Keep pressuring them if not!

My photos in case anyone's interested...

View attachment 481353
Photoshopped.. called it :D

• Wow
Reactions: Noodles
Well each company involved probably won't want to take responsibility for it, so there will be plenty of negotiations and investigations etc. it might be a while before we get any resolution.