Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
Release date: August 3, 2020
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre-order on May 21, around 9 AM for Red Carpet , at 12 PM general sale - UK time)
Price: £29.99
Note: 3 discs

12584863-1924769381743461.jpg

12584863-1244769382074100.jpg 12584863-1434769381918943.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am truly sorry that it's so hard to be certain that your steelbook is damaged. I'm sure if you just keep looking at it, it will eventually prove itself to be as imperfect as you want it to be. ;) Don't give up!

Imagine being annoyed that other members of this forum want the premium product they've purchased to not arrive damaged.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MM3 and Leafs17
I received a response regarding, my complaint, that zavvi offered a partial refund, and when i accepted, they then turned around and refused to abide by it, and they also refused to issue a returns note to return for full refund citing the issue is under investigation. I have now informed Zavvi that they are acting illegally under the consumer rights act 2015 and also distance selling regulations, by denying my legal rights as a consumer to a refund for faulty goods. We will see what they come back with.

On a side note, can I advise that if you are a UK consumer, you can report zavvi to trading standards via the link here... Reporting to Trading Standards

and selecting the 'Report a business to Trading Standards' form, you can fill this in to log your complaint (theres also a phone number). The site is also a goldmine to your legal rights info, I think @zavvi should read this as they clearly are acting outside the law, by refusing to accept returns for faulty goods.

I've also cancelled all remaining pre-orders with zavvi for the Star Wars range, not going to have any more hassle with these....

Snapped some photos of my copy today to send off to Zavvi... must admit they were quite tricky to pick up on camera, but I managed it eventually.

Requested a 50% refund since that's apparently the most they've given out so far and I think it's only fair everyone else receives the same. Keep pressuring them if not!

My photos in case anyone's interested...

View attachment 481353
Wtf you stole my copie you sonofabutcher :giggle:
20200817_205714_copy_1396x1861.jpg

I received a response regarding, my complaint, that zavvi offered a partial refund, and when i accepted, they then turned around and refused to abide by it, and they also refused to issue a returns note to return for full refund citing the issue is under investigation. I have now informed Zavvi that they are acting illegally under the consumer rights act 2015 and also distance selling regulations, by denying my legal rights as a consumer to a refund for faulty goods. We will see what they come back with.

On a side note, can I advise that if you are a UK consumer, you can report zavvi to trading standards via the link here... Reporting to Trading Standards

and selecting the 'Report a business to Trading Standards' form, you can fill this in to log your complaint (theres also a phone number). The site is also a goldmine to your legal rights info, I think @zavvi should read this as they clearly are acting outside the law, by refusing to accept returns for faulty goods.

I've also cancelled all remaining pre-orders with zavvi for the Star Wars range, not going to have any more hassle with these....

FYI - The Distance Selling Regulations no longer apply in UK law. The Consumer Contracts Regulations - which came into force in the UK in June 2014 - now apply when buying online:

Anyway, the relevant section you want is this:

Returning faulty goods
If you receive faulty goods and wish to return them, the Regulations are in addition to your other legal rights.

So, if your goods are faulty and don’t do what they're supposed to, or don’t match the description given, you have the same consumer rights under the Consumer Rights Act (which replaces the Sale of Goods Act from 1 October 2015) as you have when buying in store.

Any terms and conditions that say you must cover the cost of returning an item wouldn’t apply where the goods being returned are faulty.

• Informative
Reactions: Punker76
I assume they will have rights to not offer any resolution until they have had a response from the manufacturer. It's only once they have investigated fully that if they refuse returns/refunds they will be acting outside of the law, surely. I don't really feel that bothered by it now I have a great looking magnet. A partial refund will resolve the issue for me. Seriously considering cancelling the sequel trilogy though. I don't have the passion for those films to get me through dealing with any issues with them.

In fairness to Zavvi, they can't really do anything until they get a resolution, whilst dealing with multiple different company's. Going to Trading Standards at this point seems a bit OTT. Surely its better to see what they come up with.

Reactions: Flloydo and virkia
anyone cancelling the rest of their preorders is stupid. If they decide to reprint this and everyone gets a minty fresh version you now will be paying 3x the cost to get the rest probably to now complete the set.

Regardless of who is at fault the customer should not be liable and waiting around for zavvi to point the finger. Regardless of any legalities, if zavvi had any real concern for their customers they wouldn't be handing out variable refunds whilst having others waiting around for some miraculous resolve that will provide a satisfactory conclusion. Regardless of who ends up at fault zavvi should have sorted this swiftly imo. It's very typical of them as a company to act like this though.

Regardless of who ends up at fault zavvi should have sorted this swiftly imo. It's very typical of them as a company to act like this though.
Don't know how difficult it is to understand that the matter is under investigation so it seems to me that a bit of patience is what's required.
After all, this is an issue that most likely involves not just the manufacturer but also the replicator or assembler where the discs are put in etc. and then sealed under shrinkwrap.

The manufacturer recently replied to my enquiry:
" After we have produced the SteelBook® cases, they travel on a little journey before the end up at the retailers. We do a quality check before sending out the SteelBook® cases to make sure everything is alright with the product before shipment. However, the scratches may have happened at the replicator or during transportation. Nevertheless, this should of course have been noticed before shipment to the end-consumers. "

Obviously I have no proof of where lies the blame but put a gun to my head I'd be inclined to blame the replicator as it would be unreasonable to expect a reputable company like Scanavo to send out ESB in this condition.

Last edited:
I assume they will have rights to not offer any resolution until they have had a response from the manufacturer. It's only once they have investigated fully that if they refuse returns/refunds they will be acting outside of the law, surely. I don't really feel that bothered by it now I have a great looking magnet. A partial refund will resolve the issue for me. Seriously considering cancelling the sequel trilogy though. I don't have the passion for those films to get me through dealing with any issues with them.
The consumer still has the right to return damaged goods for a full refund if they so wish, whatever the circumstances - Zavvi cannot legally refuse that request.

However, you are then foregoing any resolution such as receiving a partial refund and/or free replacement with, say a reprinted version. You would have to make a new purchase which, of course, might prove difficult if there are none left to put back up for general sale.

anyone cancelling the rest of their preorders is stupid. If they decide to reprint this and everyone gets a minty fresh version you now will be paying 3x the cost to get the rest probably to now complete the set.
That's assuming that those that have cancelled end up changing their minds and decide that they want them again!

I already have the Skywalker Saga Boxset and was in two minds about this collection in the first place. So personally I'm not bothered.

Reactions: ethnosax
Imagine if you bought a TV only to find scratches on the screen when it gets delivered to your house. You contact the shop and they tell you oh yes we're aware it's a problem with a number of those models, we've had a lot of complaints. Please bear with us while we investigate......

Rubbish.

Its an insult to that customer to string them along. Any retailer would sort out the complaint immediately.

If there's a problem with the supplier or their warehouse, its sorted out in house without involving the customer.

Don't know how difficult it is to understand that the matter is under investigation so it seems to me that a bit of patience is what's required.
After all, this is an issue that most likely involves not just the manufacturer but also the replicator or assembler where the discs are put in etc. and then sealed under shrinkwrap.

The manufacturer recently replied to my enquiry:
" After we have produced the SteelBook® cases, they travel on a little journey before the end up at the retailers. We do a quality check before sending out the SteelBook® cases to make sure everything is alright with the product before shipment. However, the scratches may have happened at the replicator or during transportation. Nevertheless, this should of course have been noticed before shipment to the end-consumers. "

Obviously I have no proof of where lies the blame but put a gun to my head I'd be inclined to blame the replicator as it would be unreasonable to expect a reputable company like Scanavo to send out ESB in this condition.

The scratches are under the paint so that gives us a bit of a clue as to what stage of the process.

Reactions: MM3