Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (4K+2D Blu-ray Complete Box Set) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: April 20, 2020 - April 29, 2024 (Re-release)
Purchase link: Amazon UK (Sold Out) - Zavvi - HMV
Price: £199.99 (Amazon) - £229.99 (Zavvi - HMV)
Notes: Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga Box Set - Limited Edition (27 discs) featuring all 9 Saga movies on 4K UHD, Blu-ray and Bonus discs (Blu-ray) for every movie in a special collector's set

Was previously a Amazon UK exclusive

05.jpg
06.jpg07.jpg01.jpg
02.jpg03.jpg04.jpg

Last edited:
I will probably put in an order when it becomes available in Canada although I will probably cancel it lol. I would like to have that 4K set just because it's a Star Wars set but I will likely never upgrade to 4K and it's $329 in Canada.

I still have the 3 "Letterboxed" VHS tapes of the original unaltered trilogy, as well as the 3 Special Edition VHS tapes.

I have the 4 DVD box set but I have never watched them. I have 2 different sets of the 9 Blu-ray disc Star Wars Saga. One of them is used and opened the other with Vader on the front is new and sealed and I have never watched any of those either lol.

I have seen all of the movies in the theatre except for the new one. I have only ever watched them at home on VHS, never on DVD or Blu-ray except for The Force Awakens on Blu-ray just before going to see The Last Jedi in the theatre.
I plan to watch VII and VIII on Blu-ray in the next couple of days before seeing the new one.

But I guess I keep buying these sets because it's Star Wars.

Of course I have all of the steelbooks as well. Still sealed of course.

I know I need help. :LOL:
As crazy as all that probably sounds to most people, I understand it completely, because I'm similar lol. I buy anything and everything Star Wars, or at least I used to... I've cut down a lot now, although not really out of choice, but because I no longer have the funds or space for it all.

Still got all my VHS tapes of which I have multiple different sets like yourself. Would love to get them all out someday and have a shelf (or five) dedicated to just Star Wars.

Do you own the fan made Despecialized blus at all? I've been tempted to pick them up a few times, but was hoping Disney would release the original cuts eventually... that's not looking very likely now though unfortunately.

Can't actually remember the last time I saw the original cuts, but I must've been fairly young, as I honestly can't remember all the differences now. I watch the blus (of the prequel trilogy) every year though.

Think I'll finally take the plunge and pick up those Despecialized versions this year, once Disney officially confirm these new sets are the same edited cuts we've seen re-release after re-release for.

The whole point of a boxset (for the consumer at least) is to make a bulk purchase cheaper though, the Iron Man 4k releases are £20 each and I paid £33 for the trilogy box. Even the usual price of that box is a reasonable £40.

Only reason this is a limited edition is to get people to panic buy an overpriced product.

Before anyone mentions the number of discs, a company the size of Disney is paying pennies per disc to include those bonuses.

Well it stands to reason with these being disney releases that the rest of the films will more than likely be £25 each upon release. Based on that assumption you will save around £40 buying these in a set as opposed to separately.

If disney are paying pennies on the disks and that's your mindset how could you justify spending anything over a couple of quid on this set once packaging is factored in.

Aside from the disk count and the fact it's limited edition we don't know exactly what the set will a, look like and b, contain so to bash its price without all the relevant info is abit unfair

• Helpful Post
Reactions: hoppusdelonge
Well it stands to reason with these being disney releases that the rest of the films will more than likely be £25 each upon release. Based on that assumption you will save around £40 buying these in a set as opposed to separately.

If disney are paying pennies on the disks and that's your mindset how could you justify spending anything over a couple of quid on this set once packaging is factored in.

Aside from the disk count and the fact it's limited edition we don't know exactly what the set will a, look like and b, contain so to bash its price without all the relevant info is abit unfair
I work out the value to me per film, then any special packaging, added physical content and finally number of discs unless it's a small company like Arrow that don't get the same price per disc benefits due to smaller print runs. When looking at number of discs I also consider the fact that a lot of times these added discs are unsold stock that they're only adding to get rid of, not to please the consumer. If this ends up including a ton of new bonus features, or they confirmed that the BDs were new discs from a new scan then the perceived value for me would change. 18 disc BD set is £65, I don't see £115 worth of added content here.

I agree with your last point to some degree, my opinion right now is based on the info available to us which obviously is not fully revealed, I made a comment further up that it's underwhelming if all we get is what BB is showing.

I work out the value to me per film, then any special packaging, added physical content and finally number of discs unless it's a small company like Arrow that don't get the same price per disc benefits due to smaller print runs. When looking at number of discs I also consider the fact that a lot of times these added discs are unsold stock that they're only adding to get rid of, not to please the consumer. If this ends up including a ton of new bonus features, or they confirmed that the BDs were new discs from a new scan then the perceived value for me would change. 18 disc BD set is £65, I don't see £115 worth of added content here.

I agree with your last point to some degree, my opinion right now is based on the info available to us which obviously is not fully revealed, I made a comment further up that it's underwhelming if all we get is what BB is showing.
Disney prices are usually £20 to £25 for UHD Amaray releases
New releases are most times £25
If you was to purchase these film separate on UHD
9 x £20 would be £180.00
9x £25 would be £225

You have 27 discs in this release
9 x UHD (films)
9 x Blu-ray (Films + Extras)
9 x Bonus Blu-ray (Extras)
There will be extras on 9 x Bonus Blu-ray Discs

A lot more extras than previous Star Wars Box set releases and will include new extras

Star Wars Rise of Skywalker 4K UHD Amaray price is £25.00

£180 is decent price for 27 Discs
8 films that not had 4K UHD release before
If you was to purchase 9 x 4K Amaray releases separately it would cost you £180.00 to £225

First time getting a release on 4K UHD these would be considered new releases and would very likely be priced £25 each when released separately
Phantom Menace
Attack Of The Clones
Revenge Of The Sith
A New Hope
The Empire Strikes Back
Return Of The Jedi
The Force Awakens
Rise of Skywalker

Only The Last Jedi previously had a 4K UHD release

Disney prices are usually £20 to £25 for UHD Amaray releases
New releases are most times £25
If you was to purchase these film separate on UHD
9 x £20 would be £180.00
9x £25 would be £225

You have 27 discs in this release
9 x UHD (films)
9 x Blu-ray (Films + Extras)
9 x Bonus Blu-ray (Extras)
There will be extras on 9 x Bonus Blu-ray Discs

A lot more extras than previous Star Wars Box set releases and will include new extras

Star Wars Rise of Skywalker 4K UHD Amaray price is £25.00

£180 is decent price for 27 Discs
8 films that not had 4K UHD release before
If you was to purchase 9 x 4K Amaray releases separately it would cost you £180.00 to £225

First time getting a release on 4K UHD these would be considered new releases and would very likely be priced £25 each when released separately
Phantom Menace
Attack Of The Clones
Revenge Of The Sith
A New Hope
The Empire Strikes Back
Return Of The Jedi
The Force Awakens
Rise of Skywalker

Only The Last Jedi previously had a 4K UHD release
Difference between a new individual amaray release of BD and UHD is £5-£10 so the studios are valuing a UHD disc at that price giving us a value of £45-£90 for the UHDs in this set. Add the £65 that the 18 BD set is listed as and they could be selling this at £110-£150 and still be raking in massive profits. Disney would obviously go for the higher price, so from what we've seen so far it's essentially £30 for packaging. The book packaging (if that's what we get in the UK) is worthless to me, all it's good for is scratching discs and studios should have learned this as far back as the first DVD releases of Buffy.

Then you need to factor in that it's a pretty safe assumption that most people are only interested in the original trilogy, this is only a limited edition so that people don't wait for a price drop IMO.

I wouldn't buy 9 4K amarays for £180-£225, I rarely pay more than £10-£12 for a non steelbook 4K release and have never paid more than £15. If Disney don't create a false panic then you don't need to buy it day one.

Do you own the fan made Despecialized blus at all? I've been tempted to pick them up a few times, but was hoping Disney would release the original cuts eventually... that's not looking very likely now though unfortunately.

I'm not familiar with them. Is there somewhere I can read about them?

Remember the Pre-order price is not always the final price or the price you will pay, Amazon sometimes do price drops for short periods of time on pre-orders, the Marvel Phase 3 Part 2 4K box set was £95 to pre-order and for a couple hours on one day they lowered it to £55 which was a 14 disc set and it included the new Spiderman far from home which was still on pre-order at the time for £25, the set has not been this low again from its release and anyone that pre-ordered it before the price drop would have got it at the lower price.

The price of this and 4K not being massively popular yet as many are still happy with Blu-ray they might not get that many pre-orders on this and drop the price to get some orders in but as it's Disney and Star Wars after it's released it could stay at the high price for sometime.

Man! I so want this but I'll have to wait because it's just too expensive right now. Hopefully it drops somewhat in price. I'm actually hoping that Amazon US gets this so I can buy stateside rather than import it.

I'm not familiar with them. Is there somewhere I can read about them?
They've been around for a while now bud, so lots of info out there... just Google it. ;)

But to sum up... some talented fans used multiple sources to recreate HD versions of the original cuts.

I've never seen the fan-edits myself, so can't really comment on the overall quality, but I know a lot of folks go nuts for it!

This "documentary" I just came across may explain everything you need to know actually...

If I was set up for 4K I might consider this as though it's not all that fancy a packaging, they've crammed a heeluva lot into that box.
I do see Premiums for the OT and Prequels coming sometime down the road though so I can wait.

They've been around for a while now bud, so lots of info out there... just Google it. ;)

But to sum up... some talented fans used multiple sources to recreate HD versions of the original cuts.

I've never seen the fan-edits myself, so can't really comment on the overall quality, but I know a lot of folks go nuts for it!

This "documentary" I just came across may explain everything you need to know actually...

WOW! Just finished watching that video. The last time I watched episodes IV-VI was when the "Special Editions" were released in theatres before the release of The Phantom Menace. I didn't realize that Lucas continued to make changes after that with the DVD and Blu-ray releases and that they changed colour, sound effects and everything else apparently making it worse.

Like you, I wonder if the 4K discs will look any better.

Those Despecialized scenes look great! I'm afraid to watch my Blu-rays now. :ohno:

WOW! Just finished watching that video. The last time I watched episodes IV-VI was when the "Special Editions" were released in theatres before the release of The Phantom Menace. I didn't realize that Lucas continued to make changes after that with the DVD and Blu-ray releases and that they changed colour, sound effects and everything else apparently making it worse.

Like you, I wonder if the 4K discs will look any better.

Those Despecialized scenes look great! I'm afraid to watch my Blu-rays now. :ohno:
There are also a few small adjustments to the 4K streaming releases on Disney+ that will most likely be carried over to the discs.

Reactions: Stygian
There are also a few small adjustments to the 4K streaming releases on Disney+ that will most likely be carried over to the discs.

This is probably the most important change mentioned in that article and might make some 4K viewers happy.

4K scans

This is low-key the most important change to the original trilogy. The new 4K versions found on Disney Plus are seemingly new scans, which make slight corrections to contrast, picture quality, and colour throughout each movie.

This is probably the most important change mentioned in that article and might make some 4K viewers happy.

4K scans

This is low-key the most important change to the original trilogy. The new 4K versions found on Disney Plus are seemingly new scans, which make slight corrections to contrast, picture quality, and colour throughout each movie.
Definitely, the new colour grading looks great from the few screenshots I've seen.

Reactions: Stygian
Note Third Party Sellers selling the Despecialized editions is not allowed by the creator Harmy

Fanedits and preservations must not be bought or sold.

The Despecialized torrent files was created for fans to download for free to burn to Blu-ray Discs or other format of their choice themselves and not for the purpose of creating Blu-ray Discs for selling

There is a good few listings that have appeared on Ebay in the last few weeks/days
These are not allowed

Reactions: FN-2187