Steelbook releases are stagnating. Discuss.

andy01652

Premium Supporter
Mar 3, 2014
I love movies and have ~250 titles in my steelbook collection, but especially in the last year or so it seems that releases of both smaller new titles and older titles have dropped off dramatically in favour of the umpteenth re-release/cash in of blockbusters; be it 4K or premium editions. Don't get me wrong- I love premium editions and 4K is more than welcome, but it seems to have been at the dramatic expense of diversity. How many copies of Guardians Of The Galaxy or Alien or Seven do you actually need? Most retailers seem to be taking the safe option of big hits and neglecting older/smaller titles completely. I appreciate this probably makes business sense and there's always the odd exception (Ring, Annihilation to name a couple of recent ones) but I'm equally sure there's a bigger market for smaller movies too. Things just seem to be getting boring. I won't start listing stuff here as there's already a wishlist thread, but.... any thoughts?

Reactions: dfoles
Digital is the future. At least that’s what the sales people are telling us. With the onset of Netflix, the younger generation, in general, would rather watch a movie on their cellphone than a big screen. Will steelbooks die out? Of course they will. But I will keep collecting for as long as I can. But I’m 51, I am most certainly not the marketers target demographic.