Subbed vs Dubbed

Simply put, What way would you rather watch a movie, Subbed or Dubbed?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Subbed, always! First time I saw Battle Royale was with dubbing and I ended up hating the film... wasn't until some years later when I watched it with subs instead that I realised the reason I hated it was because the dubbing is just soooo bad. Similar case for The Raid... love the film, but then I rewatched it with a mate who insisted on watching it dubbed and it was horrendous lol. Only non-English films I don't mind watching dubbed is Studio Ghibli, since they really put in the effort to perfect it.

I love my Chan & Sammo movies, but I'm that guy who watches them with a classic English dub whenever possible.
I lean towards subs for drama or movies with a more serious tone but for my Kung Fu classics the dubbing is all part of the charm.
Luckily we've entered a new golden age of martial arts releases here in the UK which cater for both sub and dub fans.
I guess it depends how I first watch a film, for example I've seen Oldboy many times over the years but when Arrow released the blu-ray I thought I would try out the dubbed version as that was not available in the UK on DVD, I had to chnage back to the subs very quickly as the dub wasn't how I was used to watching the movie.

Subbed for anything live action. Subbed for animated shows I watched growing up.

Dubbed for most of the newer funimation shows I've been watching the last few years :thumbs:

It depends on the film . Most of the time subtitles . But if it's a classic Godzilla or Gamera flick I'll strongly consider the English dub .

I am more inclined to listen to the dub if the "official" foreign language track is also a dub .

Joe Dante owns a dubbed release print of 8 1/2 , he says it's superior to the current subtitled versions as the dubbers translated all the background dialogue as well , giving a more immersive experience .

Subbed for anything live action. Subbed for animated shows I watched growing up.

Dubbed for most of the newer funimation shows I've been watching the last few years :thumbs:
Chinese Gandalf will smite you!
Who Hurt You Chibichan GIF by zoefannet

• Haha
Reactions: davhyl
I used to think, that I can watch anime series dubbed, since I don't know the voice actors anyway - that was around the year 2000, when I turned to anime in search for more cyberpunk.
But soon after I've compared a couple episodes of Hellsing, the original series, and even though English dub wasn't as bad, as on some other shows I later checked, the powerful voice acting of what would become my favorite character of Integra Helsing, was so much better in original Japanese, that it convinced me to never watch even animated stuff dubbed.