Success Of 'Wolverine' Paves Way For Sequels, Spin-Offs

Apr 2, 2009
http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1610597/story.jhtml

Over the weekend, "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" sliced its way through piracy leaks, bad reviews, swine flu and other obstacles to grab nearly $90 million at the box office. Now a sequel is all but guaranteed.

At the film's premiere last week, we asked Jackman — using a scale of 1 to 10 — to guess the likelihood of Wolverine returning. "10 is you'll never see him again?" he repeated. "Then a 2. I'd like to do it. I love the character. A lot will depend on what happens this weekend. We'll see if people want to see the story."

As the box-office results poured in, a one-word answer to Jackman's question emerged: "Duh!" Now, the new question is which of several possible sequels we'll see next:

"X-Men: First Class": One of the most tantalizing scenes in "Origins" depicts dozens of young mutants, including Cyclops, fleeing William Stryker and encountering Professor Charles Xavier (Patrick Stewart) for the first time. "Class" would focus on him, Jean Grey, Beast, Iceman and others as they depict the early days of Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters. The current front-runner for the next "X-Men" film out of the gate, we already know that Gambit won't be in it — but will Wolverine make an appearance? "I don't know. You're asking good questions, you've done your research," Jackman said with a grin when we pressed him. "I've got nothing to do with that movie. They don't need me as a producer. I haven't even read the script, but we'll see."

"X-Men Origins: Magneto": Years ago, news of the "Wolverine" and "Magneto" spin-offs broke at the same time and were nearly always mentioned together. Writer/director David Goyer said recently that the future of the magnetized villain would be contingent on the success of "Wolverine" — and now, it seems, a spin-off focusing on young Eric Lensherr and Charles Xavier could be full-steam ahead.

"X-Men Origins: Wolverine 2": Yep, you can safely bet it won't be called that. But Jackman's already got the ball rolling on a sequel with an amnesia-ridden Logan searching for himself in Japan. "Look, I won't lie to you — I've been talking to writers," the star/producer told us. "I'm a big fan of the Japanese saga [as seen] in the comic book ... I love the idea of this anarchic character — the outsider — being in this world. I can see it aesthetically, too, full of honor and tradition and customs, and someone who's really anti all of that, trying to negotiate his way."

"Untitled Gambit Movie": After a decade of waiting, "X-Men" fans finally got to see Gambit on the big screen this past weekend. Now the card-carrying mutant is one of two breakout "Origins" characters who might get his own film, and actor Taylor Kitsch wants to shoot it on location in the Big Easy. "If we were to do Gambit on his own ... I'd go to New Orleans, man, and just shoot in there, because that's another character in the movie on its own," he explained to us recently, saying he imagines a darker tale that could bring Anna Paquin back from the original films to explore the comic's romantic story line with her character. "She's such a great actor. I'd love to work with her, and that would be cool to see Gambit and Rogue."

"Untitled Deadpool Movie": Like Kitsch, Ryan Reynolds signed on to "Origins" with hopes of a spin-off, and the series' producer has already expressed hope that "X-Men" and "X2" director Bryan Singer will return for one of them. "I don't know if it would be an origin story, but it would definitely have to be something that encompasses the past, present and future of Deadpool," explained Reynolds, who would like to introduce the character's super-strong, machine-aided partner, Cable, as well. "I'm thinking musical; a rated-R musical. It hasn't been done. Deadpool singing, dancing — maybe dancing girls."

I hope they do all of them lol :D

I would like to see a Magneto spin off. I really enjoyed watching Ian Mckellen play the part in the trilogy and i also thought he was a really cool bad guy aswell.

I hope they do all of them lol :D

I would like to see a Magneto spin off. I really enjoyed watching Ian Mckellen play the part in the trilogy and i also thought he was a really cool bad guy aswell.

Magneto would be awesome. I could watch Ian Mckellen play a carrot, the guy is a great actor.:scat:

Jackman, Seed Planning Wolverine 2 and More

Hugh Jackman and Seed Productions partner John Palermo are developing several projects for the X-Men Origins: Wolverine star, reports Variety.

Fox and Seed are in development on a sequel to "Wolverine." The Seed partners have begun planning the sequel, which they are squarely focusing on the samurai storyline originated in the comic series, says the trade.

Source: comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=55119

id like to see a magneto movie if it wasn't gandulf playing him, he's way to old looking to be mag and his powers were crazy weak in the movies.

Now if they can make a Dead Pool movie like he was in the begining of wolverine that would be awesome.

Ryan Reynolds is a **** Deadpool *slams fist on table*... they're ALL going to suck! *runs out of thread crying with arms flailing*

UPDATE: Deadpool Spin-Off Moving Forward

20th Century Fox is developing a X-Men Origins: Wolverine spin-off featuring Deadpool, the wise-cracking mercenary played in the film by Ryan Reynolds, says The Hollywood Reporter.

Reynolds is attached to reprise the character for what for now is simply being called Deadpool. Lauren Shuler Donner and Marvel Studios would act as producers.

The project is currently out to writers.

The trade adds that the studio considered a Deadpool spin-off early in "Wolverine's" development process, which is why it cast Reynolds.

UPDATE: A source close to Fox tells us that the Deadpool and second "Wolverine" movies are coming from the two Easter Eggs at the end of X-Men Origins: Wolverine:

"We are developing a spinoff with Deadpool, as well. It is one of the two different "Easter egg" scenes after the credits of WOLVERINE and hints at two different movies that are coming FROM THEM. One is the Japan backstory which was announced earlier, the other is about Deadpool. The film, which would be produced by Lauren Shuler Donner and Marvel, has Ryan Reynolds attached and would be a complete exploration of this unique character - his origins, his emergence as the Merc with with the Mouth, etc. We are looking for writers as well."

Source: comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=55139

Not that my opinion really matters, but I think he did an okay job. I think it was poor lines that they gave him. Deadpool's been one of my favorites for the longest time, and I just don't think what little he said in the movie gave the character any life.

Not that my opinion really matters, but I think he did an okay job. I think it was poor lines that they gave him. Deadpool's been one of my favorites for the longest time, and I just don't think what little he said in the movie gave the character any life.

+1 Lets not judge anything untill we see a story or the actuall film people :)