Super Mario Galaxy 2 - Megathread - IGN gives a 10/10

Jan 29, 2009
Thanks Xtop!

super-mario-galaxy-2-20090602012039800_640w.jpg

screenshot2.jpg

screenshot7.jpg

June 15, 2009 - Fans expecting an epic, deep narrative from Nintendo's recently announced Super Mario Galaxy 2 might be disappointed to know the game won't focus on such heavy storytelling.

Speaking to Wired, legendary game creator Shigeru Miyamoto says he likes to keep his Mario games light on story and focus on gameplay, while leaving storytelling to the Zelda franchise.

"I'd like to go with as little story as possible," Miyamoto said. "I've always felt that the Mario games themselves aren't particularly suited to having a very heavy story."

So why can't fans see their favorite Italian plumber star in a game with a serious, Kojima-esque plot?

"I just feel that the Mario games are something that should be a much more bright and active experience," Miyamoto said. "With the Mario games, you don't need to have such a complicated setting where you have these particular characters with complicated backstories that can weigh down the bright and fun feel of the game."

Miyamoto would continue on saying "I feel that even if all that you have is that the villain is just simply a villain and you fight them, and you throw them down, and you find out, well, that wasn't such a bad villain after all, that's enough story for ultimately what is just about a very fun experience."

Can't say I disagree. Do any Mario fans want a deep narrative?

Trailer here

Preorder

Last edited: