Super Mario Galaxy 2 - Megathread - IGN gives a 10/10

Jan 29, 2009
Thanks Xtop!

super-mario-galaxy-2-20090602012039800_640w.jpg

screenshot2.jpg

screenshot7.jpg

June 15, 2009 - Fans expecting an epic, deep narrative from Nintendo's recently announced Super Mario Galaxy 2 might be disappointed to know the game won't focus on such heavy storytelling.

Speaking to Wired, legendary game creator Shigeru Miyamoto says he likes to keep his Mario games light on story and focus on gameplay, while leaving storytelling to the Zelda franchise.

"I'd like to go with as little story as possible," Miyamoto said. "I've always felt that the Mario games themselves aren't particularly suited to having a very heavy story."

So why can't fans see their favorite Italian plumber star in a game with a serious, Kojima-esque plot?

"I just feel that the Mario games are something that should be a much more bright and active experience," Miyamoto said. "With the Mario games, you don't need to have such a complicated setting where you have these particular characters with complicated backstories that can weigh down the bright and fun feel of the game."

Miyamoto would continue on saying "I feel that even if all that you have is that the villain is just simply a villain and you fight them, and you throw them down, and you find out, well, that wasn't such a bad villain after all, that's enough story for ultimately what is just about a very fun experience."

Can't say I disagree. Do any Mario fans want a deep narrative?

Trailer here

Preorder

Last edited:
Super Mario Galaxy for many, was an incredible game this generation and sold to millions of gamers, but don’t think they are going to go soft on us core gamers this time around. Miyamoto explains that this Galaxy will be geared towards the hardcore.

“I do believe that there is a lot here to appeal to the more veteran and more experienced gamers, and I think it’s a title that they will obviously enjoy, but I really took it into consideration and tried to do our best to create a game that’s accessible to new gamers as well. And, you know, we also built it with consideration that we believe that people who played through the first Mario Galaxy have become better players.”

This means that for Mario fans, we will be getting a more difficult Mario which, in my book, is never a bad thing. Nintendo hints towards it’s business model here as well when they said they assume that new gamers have become “better”. Hopefully this assumption is correct as I love difficult Nintendo games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Best Buy hosts Super Mario Galaxy 2 launch party

While Super Mario Galaxy 2 may be releasing on Sunday, May 23rd, those anxious enough to get their hands on the game will be excited to know that a local Best Buy will be hosting a launch party. Starting at 10pm on Saturday, May 22nd, excited gamers and tired parents alike will be able to head to the Best Buy on North Avenue in Chicago, Illinois to get some time to play the title before being released to the general public at midnight.

Better yet, there will be giveaways for the first hundred people who hunker down in line, which should be easy enough given the weather forecast of a balmy, clear 60 degrees for Saturday evening. The first 100 people in line will receive a framed piece of collectible art featuring Mario and Yoshi. Additionally, the first 500 attendees will be entitled to a Super Mario Galaxy 2 cinch bag. Finally, anyone who has an extra Mario hat or pink dress lying around will be able to dress as their favorite character for a chance to win a prize.

The event will be taking place at the Best Buy located at 1000 W. North Avenue in Chicago, IL and events will be starting at 10pm. Super Mario Galaxy 2 is the highly-anticipated sequel to the original Super Mario Galaxy.

SMG2_2.JPG

Super Mario Galaxy 2 - Megathread

It appears Mario prefers to be an early riser, rather than a night owl. Forgoing a midnight launch for Super Mario Galaxy 2 this weekend, many GameStop locations will instead open early, forcing many employees to miss church.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 for the Wii, as Nintendo games often do, launches in North America on a Sunday, this May 23. For GameStop, that means setting the alarm a little earlier, with some stores opening up at 9 a.m. so that Wii owners can get their copies early. Of course, GameStop has plenty of competition that will be up earlier than that, so the choice is up to you.

Who's grabbing the game on Sunday? Think it'll be worth giving up the extra sleep? We'll give you our opinion on the game very soon.

I got a bunch of pics for this thread I'll bring them over later. They also added a a level from Mario 64 as one of the galaxies Mario must visit! :scat:

Not since the days of the Nintendo Entertainment System has Nintendo been so committed to the Super Mario franchise on its current generation console: 2007 was the year that Nintendo revamped the 3D Mario design with Super Mario Galaxy, and just six months ago the company rebooted the 2D design with New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Just a short wait later, Nintendo's returned to its first Wii Mario game to give it a second go: there is so much creativity, variety and challenge poured into this sequel. 2007 Super Mario Galaxy was brilliant, but 2010's Super Mario Galaxy 2 is absolutely amazing.

By now it's a given that any game in the "Super Mario" franchise is a project Nintendo takes seriously. Even last year's New Super Mario Bros. Wii, a game that I felt played it a little too safe, was still an incredibly fun throwback to what made (and still makes) the classic 8 and 16-bit installments such timeless videogames. Super Mario Galaxy 2 has a stigma similar to last year's Mario game: the Galaxy design already wowed us three years ago, so Nintendo would really have to work hard to make jaded gamers stand up and take notice.

And that's what Nintendo did.

There's no denying that Super Mario Galaxy is the foundation for Super Mario Galaxy 2. The sequel uses the same engine, same controls, and same basic concept. So if anything, the reason why Super Mario Galaxy 2 is so damn fantastic is mostly due to the fact that the team learned from the first game: what worked, what needed fixing, and how to improve on such an already masterful Wii creation. The result of that effort is one of the most refined and most fulfilling videogame experiences of this generation.

The original Super Mario Galaxy already oozed creativity as it evolved the once-innovative 3D platforming into something spectacular. In the game, players had the ability to roam areas that ranged from standard Mario-style levels to miniature planetoids with their own orbital gravity, while still utilizing the same familiar and refined gameplay mechanics. The sequel steps it up with more of what we got with the first game, while taking the gameplay in new directions with sharp and very welcome additions.

It's clear that Nintendo has put a ton of focus in structuring Super Mario Galaxy 2 in a way that's accessible to all, including that new "expanded audience" that's leapt into the world of Mario with New Super Mario Bros. Wii as its first real taste. This becomes immediately obvious from the beginning with the game's interactive introduction: players control Mario in a strict 2D perspective that harkens back to New Super Mario Bros. and beyond, putting "training wheels" on the character as the player learns a whole new control mechanism. Steadily, those wheels are removed as players are forced to learn the ways of foreground and background until, finally, Nintendo lets go and gives full control to the player. You tend to forget that not everyone grew up with an analog stick under their thumb, and Nintendo does a really smart job making sure this hand-holding is natural and never forced or patronizing.

super-mario-galaxy-2-20100520051040647.jpg

This shift in presentation is also applied to the game's progression. Nintendo's Galaxy team simplified the way players move through the different worlds: it's now much more similar to the maps of the 2D Mario games, established first in Super Mario Bros. 3 and evolved in Super Mario World and New Super Mario Bros. While it drastically shifts the "explore until you find your next challenge" design introduced in Super Mario 64, I think it's a change for the better and streamlines the pick-up-and-play approach. If you, for example, stop playing for a extended period of time and return, you'll less likely to be disoriented like you would be in Super Mario Galaxy's visually impressive but ultimately overwhelming Observatory hubworld.

If it all gets too challenging, the game makes available not only Hint TV monitors to show players exactly how specific tasks should be played out, but also a "play for me" mode that's ripped straight out of New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Die too many times in a level and Rosalina – a character from the original Super Mario Galaxy – appears and asks if you need assistance. While the idea of a game playing for you might sound cheap, it's actually a very smart inclusion with an obvious downside: the star that's collected will be tarnished as a bronze and not a standard gold one, so everyone will see when you took the easy way out.

The game itself is just as intuitive and incredibly fun as it's ever been. The challenge remains the same – platform jump through the huge assortment of levels in a massive variety of different locations to get to the Star at the end. Realism is thrown completely out the window – it always has in a Super Mario game – in favor of truly fulfilling gameplay. Nintendo's refined Mario's control to the point where everything he can do can be pulled off with second-nature ease. And it's the little things and tweaks that you recognize and realize that Nintendo still "gets it." You can easily punch an enemy out of the way, but you're rewarded with a health-replenishing coin if you oust them the more traditional Mario way.

super-mario-galaxy-2-20100520052309901.jpg

A lot of the levels in Super Mario Galaxy 2 are based around concepts that were first established in the original game. Things like flinging yourself off a tiny planetoid and letting its gravity send you into a satisfyingly orbit. Levels that change the gravitational pull to make the ceiling of a level into the floor. Things like that. But those ideas have been expanded on with new twists and capabilities, and each "galaxy" to explore impresses in their own way. Whether it's a twist on an old-school game mechanic or a throwback reference to a past Mario game, Super Mario Galaxy 2 constantly impresses with just tons of small but significant elements, one level after another.

The designers passionately embrace Mario's old-school legacy with 2D-style platforming that makes New Super Mario Bros. Wii look like a third-party budget title. The game will shift from a 3D, go anywhere design to forced 2D side-scrolliing and back again, on the fly and with a completely natural camera. Or how the game will offer hints on how to get through a challenge by peppering the area with clues – both subtle and blatant.

super-mario-galaxy-2-20100520051038741.jpg

Yoshi's addition in Super Mario Galaxy 2 is fully expected, and he's handled with far more care and attention than he ever was in the GameCube version of Super Mario Sunshine. When players leap to control Yoshi, it's a very different – but also very familiar – experience than when Mario's running around on his own. Yoshi has just as tight and intuitive controls, including the ability to tongue lash at objects and hooks using the Wii remote's pointer capabilities. This point-and-click mechanism never feels out of place because you're already focused on grabbing at Star Bits with the pointer controls.

While Yoshi levels are restricted to specific galaxies, they're all incredibly creative with a variety of different techniques: some levels use his ability to inflate like a balloon to scale heights and float along large distances, while another gives him the power to illuminate invisible platforms through a glowing power. This "Light Yoshi" power is probably one of the most unique aspects of Super Mario Galaxy 2: platform layouts are completely hidden from view unless a powered-up Yoshi casts a glow onto them, but they only exist in physical form when they're visible – you can't just leap out and land on an invisible platform.

Mario also gets new powers in this adventure, and their inclusions fit naturally and are utilized with just as much focus. The Cloud Suit is a great idea that enables players to create as many as three safe but temporary platforms by shaking the Wii remote. Even his new Rock Suit – a very basic "roll up into a ball" attack – gets some creative uses in some of the extra challenges, like the hidden "bowling" techniques that you'll stumble upon later in the adventure.

And that's another area where Super Mario Galaxy 2 excels: it might be designed to be accessible to anyone of any skill level, but it's the hardcore completionists who really get the reward. Every one of this game's galaxies has a Comet Coin that can be collected, which, if snagged, will unlock additional challenges within the established level designs. While you can certainly beat the adventure without going the extra mile, it's those that actually go that extra mile that get more than they'd expect. For example, if you unlock Luigi and play a level as him, you'll open up developer speedruns. But more importantly, score every one of the game's 120 stars and you'll reveal another portion of Super Mario Galaxy 2 that will give you a much more devious but enormously fulfilling challenge.

super-mario-galaxy-2-20100520051652068.jpg

If there was anything to complain about in the original Super Mario Galaxy, the camera system got much of the flak: as good as it was, the viewpoint still had a hard time keeping up with the "go anywhere" nature of Mario -- even getting hung up when Mario would wander around huge planetoids. That issue isn't nearly as big in Galaxy 2, with each level having a far more fluid and intelligent camera system following the action. At points you'll have the ability to shift its focus using the D-pad if need be, but many times you won't have to -- the game handles the camera close to flawlessly.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 brings back the game's co-op mode, and even improves on it: a second player can, at any time, turn on a second Wii remote and assist Player One by snagging not only Star Bits he might've missed, but that second player can also retrieve items that may be out of Player One's reach. You won't miss much if you want to keep this a single-player adventure, but at least you have the ability to give observers something helpful to do while you focus on the challenges.

super-mario-galaxy-2-20100520051649380.jpg

The Galaxy production is just as big and bold as it ever was. In fact, it's even more so in this sequel: along with some of the best visuals the Wii has ever seen – a true testament of the team's three year old technology – the soundtrack is even more intense with far more orchestral and studio recordings than the last game. It all makes up for the fact that this is, once again, just another simple fight against Bowser, who's kidnapped Princess Peach before she could bake a cake.

Then again, when have you ever played a Mario platformer just for the story?
Closing Comments
I think the one thing you should take away from this review: Super Mario Galaxy 2 wholly exceeded my expectations. Leading up to the game’s release I hadn’t expected much more than simply “more of the same.” I loved the original Super Mario Galaxy, but the company would have to do something pretty special to really “wow” me.

Consider me “wowed.” Again. Yes, Super Mario Galaxy 2 is more of what made the original so amazingly good: brilliant gravity platfoming. Incredibly tight and responsive controls. Fantastic musical score. But it’s not a “me too” experience -- a significant majority of this sequel is brand new. New level challenges, new gameplay mechanics, new (and incredible) orchestral pieces. All done up in a package that streamlines the classic Mario experience: a straightforward presentation, a much more intelligent camera system, and a rewarding progression that opens up some seriously devious and fulfilling level challenges.

Mario has always been a universally appealing game design and Nintendo has done an incredible job to make sure its key franchise is just as accessible to gamers of all walks of life. Most of all, Super Mario Galaxy 2 perfectly captures that classic videogame charm, the reason why most of us got into gaming from the start.

IGN Ratings for Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)
Rating Description
out of 10

10 Presentation
Big and bold, with a progression that's been tightened up and streamlined. This is Mario at its core, and one of the best, if not the best, Nintendo has to offer.

10 Graphics
A testament to the amazing game engine from 2007: it still looks fantastic and beautiful.

10 Sound
A much stronger saturation of "big band" tunes here, and that's just awesome.

10 Gameplay
This is the absolute pinnacle of Mario gameplay: everything that makes a Mario game so incredibly fun is represented here. Both in 2D and 3D.

10 Lasting Appeal
If you just want to get to Bowser you'll be done in a few hours. But if you want to strut your gaming skills you'll be playing this one for weeks.

OVERALL

Masterful

(out of 10)

wow. i just cant believe this score. i know the game will be really good, but 10 good? MGS4 good? no way, they even said its a revamped version of the old game.

aaaaaaaaand ill prolly end up getting it anyways :p. guess i better go finish the first one tho :ohno:

wow. i just cant believe this score. i know the game will be really good, but 10 good? MGS4 good? no way, they even said its a revamped version of the old game.

aaaaaaaaand ill prolly end up getting it anyways :p. guess i better go finish the first one tho :ohno:

I love my hacked wii.... The dust might be removed later today.

Nice!! the first one was pretty cool and fun! I can't wait to get my hands on this one!

Mobius, MGS4 is a bad comparison.

well, you gotta throw it in there with all other games they gave a 10 right? Zelda OOT, Soul Calibur, GTA4 :)hilarious:) and MGS4

i know they are completely opposite types of games, but for a game that is basically a carbon copy of its predecessor with a few more bells and whistles, different levels and a new camera system, seems a bit inflated to me.

then again, i haven't played it so who am i to talk. but i got bored with the first one actually, why i havent finished it. i guess im just very surprised it got a 10.

You would be surprised the kind of games that get 10 man. Yet still even when you throw them in the bunch they are all separated into categories. Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting this game!

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Sweet turned on my Wii for the first time in months, did some updates, New Super Mario Bros and Super Mario Galaxy 2 are now waiting to be played!