PS3 System Software Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 29, 2009
Please use this thread for all console updates from now on.

Attachments

• sonyps3.jpg
    sonyps3.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 2,122
Last edited by a moderator:
I was just browsing SCEA's Press information website when I noticed something very strange. While looking at the contents, I saw "PS3 Debug Firmware Update 2.80". When I clicked on it to receive the information the following message came up "The file requested do not exist". Looks like PS3 FW 2.80 could be announced any moment now! Read More to see the image and click the image to see the full resolution screenshot.

fw2.80.jpg

Rumor: PS3 firmware 2.80 coming tomorrow - Update

Sony may launch a new firmware update for the PlayStation 3 tomorrow. The update is rumored to include a new feature for the messaging and game invite system; however, we cannot confirm that at this time.

ThatGamerAccess spotted an update on the SCEA press information website, which apparently included a 2.80 debug file. ThatGamerAccess also took a screenshot of the webpage, but the image certainly could be photoshopped. We checked out the SCEA press website for ourselves, and while we don?t see the same information, it?s standard for such material to be quickly removed to avoid spreading unannounced information.

In addition, The Examiner is reporting that the new firmware 2.80 will primarily provide basic updates, including fixes to increase performance such as faster Trophy synchronization and quicker XMB load times.

We?ll be sure to give you the full details if and when Sony announces firmware 2.80.
________
White Girls Webcam

Last edited:
Hello, I just wanted to provide everyone with a head’s up that the next PLAYSTATION 3 system software update (v2.80) will be coming soon. The playback quality of some PLAYSTATION 3 format software has been improved.

VG247 has learnt that PS3 Firmware 3.0, “a completely new system” for the console, is to release pre-Christmas with a raft of major feature updates.

The software upgrade has been described to us as “a huge overhaul”, and was compared to NXE “in some respects”.

The before-rumoured reputation system will be included. We were told that, “A reputation system in which users will be able to evaluate each other will be provided for… game applications.

“There will be a new API available to so the user can… allow users and also obtain users’ reputation.”

A “grief reporting system” will be included in the update, allowing gamers to take screens of offensive players and submit them to Sony. Apparently this is going to be similar to the LBP system, and is likely to include a text input.

Firmware 3.0 will allow patches will be downloaded in the background, meaning you’ll no longer have to sit staring at the screen while Random Shooter updates itself with a 500Mb fix.

There’s more. Simultaneous HDMI and digital optical outputting will be included in the release, a move likely to bring big smiles to the audio heads in the crowd.

We’ve been told a lot more on this, but you’ll just have to wait. Rest assured, 3.0 will be significant. Just remember where you heard it first.

Update: SCEA’s Patrick Seybold has told Joystiq: “Those rumors are completely untrue, nothing has been announced or confirmed for upcoming PlayStation firmware, and this is just wild speculation.”

Is Sony's austere PlayStation 3's dashboard due for an extreme makeover, per recent rumormongering? What about universal voice chat? Searchable memory cards? Discrete feature updates? The battery display fluke de-glitched? And what's up with Hulu video service blocking? I tracked down Sony Director of Network Operations Eric Lempel to get answers to those question and others in the following two part interview. This is part one.

Game On: There's a rumor circulating that Sony has something big planned for the PlayStation 3 this year, a firmware update on the order of Microsoft's New Xbox Experience. True or false?

Eric Lempel: We've released a bunch of firmware updates to date, and we'll continue to do that. We're aiming to release them quarterly, and sometimes there are a lot of great consumer features in them, and other times they're just updates to help things behind the scenes. I should say that a lot of times when we do these updates, there's a ton of stuff in them for our developers, and consumers don't see the benefits of those until they play some of those games that come out later on.

I think it's important to know, a lot of people wonder why we do these updates when it just says something about security enhancements or that playability of software will be better. Actually, behind the scenes, there are reams of documents sometimes with improvements for developers, where they can take advantage of a bunch of new tools, or new ways to allocate memory, or other ways to improve performance. So I'd start off by saying that.

You'll definitely see another firmware update this year, but it won't be like what the rumors say. We're working on some consumer features that consumers will definitely like, but it's nothing like what you're reading about, and at this time I don't want to confirm any of those features because they're not completely locked down yet. We're looking pretty good, and timing is a little rough, but just in terms of that rumor, it's not the case.

GO: Have you guys talked about something down the line, be it six months or two years, of doing something radical with the interface along the lines of Microsoft's NXE?

EL: We always look at different things. Behind the scenes we do a ton of research and I think sometimes you see some of that research out there through questionnaires. But we're always looking into what consumer want and gauging the appetite for change.

What we find is that people really like our current interface. We did redesign the PlayStation Store last April to make some improvements, make it faster, make it better, and we're always listening to consumers. But right now the XMB [XrossMediaBar] is an Emmy Award-winning interface and people like it. They're very comfortable with it. So we're not looking to do anything radical. We'll still do some research behind the scenes and see what can we do to make things better, or how can we make it so consumers find content faster, but right now we're pretty happy with it. No plans right now to do anything like what the competitor has done.

GO: When Microsoft debuted its NXE, it was shift from an interface that moved left and right to an axial thing, where you moved more visually left-right and up-down, kind of like the XMB, just with the vertex sitting down in the lower left corner and everything slightly stylized. What was your reaction to that?

EL: You know, I didn't really think about it that way. I mean, I saw some comparisons when it came out, but that's very interesting that you say that. You know, hey, it's great, if they like our interface and want to copy it, as long as that's legal, sure. I don't really know how they go about making their plans or the strategy behind them, but if they've found that we're doing something right and they want to copy that, more power to them.

GO: I've been reading through the reactions to your last PlayStation Blog post, the one about the 2.8 update, and noticed that a lot of the folks who reacted less positively to that particular update were doing so because they wanted more detail about what was in the update. Why the lack of disclosure there?

EL: Well basically in the updates that we do on the blog, it's really to tell consumers this is what you can do today with your PS3, or in the next few days when we release a firmware update. It isn't about diving into the tech and letting them know six months from now you're going to see a game that may have better effects in a certain area because we've put this in such and such update. That's not as digestible for the majority of consumers. It just won't work.

I mean, there are consumers interested in the tech, and they can probably deep dive in developer forums on that, but we usually don't release a lot of our developer info except to our licensed developers. It's kind of separating the consumer experience from the developer experience.

So, you know, that's why I'd love for them to understand that when we do these things, there's a lot of reason behind it, there's a lot of work that goes into it, a lot of testing, but they don't always get to see the benefits immediately. The blog is really to talk about here's what you can do with it, not here's what a developer you know and like might be able to pull off in the next six months.

GO: Have you ever considered separating out the updates into nondependent components? To allow some features to come out or get patched faster than others?

EL: You know, we very much thought about that, and actually with 2.8 we implemented something that we didn't talk a lot about. We actually gave consumers the option to update. What I mean by that is, prior to 2.8 you had to update. So you'd turn on your PS3 and it would say, you know, if you want to go in the store, if you want to play an online game, or go into PlayStation Home, it would say there's an update available, please update before moving any further.

With 2.8 it was an option. Users didn't have to update when we released it, and actually weren't prompted to do so, because there wasn't any consumer-specific functionality. I'd say a majority of consumers out there who just wait to get hit by these updates didn't even know about it. They might still not know about it.

GO: What about universal chat, by which I mean voice chat outside games. You can currently chat with other gamers from within an online game, but not when you drop out.

EL: Yeah, definitely, we realize that a lot of people want that. It's one of the most requested features, and it is something we're looking into. It's a very complex feature, but we are looking into it.

GO: Search functions for memory cards to find save files faster?

EL: That's actually something we're not working on right now, but it's something we can look at. I have seen that requested a couple times, but I think when we look at the priority list, it's not very high up there.

GO: How about the battery-life-of-controller glitch, where it cuts off the system time when you tap the PS button? I keep seeing that pop up, but it's like this weird fifty-fifty thing, where fifty percent are angry about it, and other fifty percent are angry at the people who're angry about it.

EL: You know, I'll tell you, I personally don't like that either, and it's something that's definitely being corrected. You can put me in the angry camp.

GO: Your reaction to Hulu [the online video service] apparently blocking PS3 users from watching videos in the browser?

EL: Last week we stared hearing that, and we've tested it out here, and it does seem you can't access Hulu. You can access the site, but when you go to play a video, you get an error message. We're not quite sure why that is. If I speculate I might guess it's because they refined their list of supported browsers and we were a victim, or maybe they're intentionally blocking the PS3, but right now it doesn't work, and you'd really have to talk to Hulu about why that is. We have an open browser, there's a ton of sites that do work, and it's compatible with other video streaming sites like YouTube and music streaming sites, so. But it's true, Hulu's not working right now and I'm not really sure why.

GO: Do any of your guys ever pick up the phone and just say hey, what are you guys [Hulu] doing?

EL: Yeah, sometimes we do. It depends. That is something we'll probably look into, but at the same time, our browser's there to let our users do what they want and browse wherever they want, and we can't always chase down all these sites and say hey, how come it's not working today? The browser's built on unique code, so it's not like any of the other browsers out there, and there are some things that are just incompatible.

yeah i was reading this earlier so they wont change the xmb they dont need to i agree but add on a few more things on to it.

The real secret in PS3 firmware 2.80

The optional PS3 firmware update 2.80 actually included a very important improvement for game developers.

When PS3 firmware 2.80 came out it was unclear what had actually been included. The update was optional with the common and only log inclusion of "The playback quality of some PlayStation 3 format software has been improved."

Our friends at PS3Attitude discovered an increased character limit in chat, and TheSixthAxis found that the update was actually required for the console's music video application, VidZone. This was the first clue as to what the update actually included for PS3 developers.

It's now clear what was involved with the update; more RAM memory was made available, most likely due to the reduction of memory consumption for the console's Operating System (OS). How do we know? This information was provided by Sam Thompson, the producer of Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, during an interview at this year's San Diego Comic-Con.

When asked what improvements had been made to Uncharted 2 since the game's multiplayer beta, Thompson told TQcast:

"Naughty Dog is constantly working to improve every aspect of the gameplay; be it animation, lighting, sound, texture fidelity. You know if you look at the game itself with the 2.80 engine update, you know we're adding more memory, so we get a lot more utilisation of the SPUs so we increase our optimisation of the Cell processor as well."

"So we've got from the engineering side all the way up to texture fidelity, artists adding in even more...I mean there's really not a singular aspect that's not been improved in the game," Thompson added.

It's presumed that the 2.80 engine update Thompson refers to is Naughty Dog's improvements after the PS3's 2.80 firmware update, with the coincidence being too significant to ignore. A reduced OS memory footprint is a common inclusion with PS3 updates and it's good to know that it's making such a positive impact with developers and their games.

For reference, the PS3's memory footprint was reduced to 74mb at firmware 1.80, so who knows what it is now. Sony might even be closing in on the Xbox 360's 32mb's.

source: gamezine.co.uk/news/games/u/uncharted-2/the-real-secret-in-ps3-firmware-2-80-$1314390.htm

That's really nice to read... I'm really hoping Sony squeezes down the OS footprint for the obvious reasons in the OP, but also because the smaller it is the faster it will run

RUMOR: Firmware 3.0 and a new PSN?

You may remember we recently reported on some rumors regarding Sony's 3 hour press event at Gamescom in Cologne, Germany. We said they had planned on revealing at least 3 things. One of which was said to be PS3 Slim, the other a PSP Go price cut (most likely in the form of another model with less internal memory storage), and one last rumor that our source would only say was something being done "for the first time".

Well, we heard back from our source again, and it looks like they decided to go ahead and tell us what that "first time' was.

Our source told us that Sony is planning on announcing firmware 3.0 at the conference, while being very careful to point out that Sony might not release firmware 3.0 on that day, but that they will announce it and detail it's features, possibly in video form. Our source also said it coincides with the release of the new PlayStation Network, however our source didn't go into any detail as to what this new PSN is supposed to feature. Sony did send out some e-mails recently hinting at a new PSN launching on the 18th, so that lends some credibility to these rumors.

We speculate that it could have some premium features. There was talk a while back about a possible premium service where users pay one flat rate to access unlimited downloads (online gaming and all of it's features would still be free though). If the price were right, that's something that many could find very appealing. Hopefully this firmware 3.0 will also come with some of our most sought after features, like cross game voice chat, voice or video messaging, etc.

So, once again, to recap:

PSP Go price cut
PS3 Slim
New PSN
Firmware 3.0

Until the 18th, until Sony says it themselves, treat this as rumor. Have your obligatory pinch of salt with this one.

source: psinsider.e-mpire.com/index.php?categoryid=17&m_articles_articleid=1288

my question is, if they allow this flat rate for unlimited download service, is how will gamesharing figure into it all?

if one of my friends who i gameshare with decides to pay the fee, do i get all the games as well? my guess is no, but how amazing would that be!

my question is, if they allow this flat rate for unlimited download service, is how will gamesharing figure into it all?

if one of my friends who i gameshare with decides to pay the fee, do i get all the games as well? my guess is no, but how amazing would that be!

probably would work.. and be awesome!!!

and what is the rumored Firmware 3.0 supposed to have that is the first time ever?

new avatars? :hilarious:

Status
Not open for further replies.