PS3 System Software Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 29, 2009
Please use this thread for all console updates from now on.

Attachments

• sonyps3.jpg
    sonyps3.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 2,119
Last edited by a moderator:
System Update 3.0 to Rival Live

It is rumored that Firmware update 3.0 will implement features that will rival Xbox Live. What features could those be? Its main advantage over XBL is the fact that it’s free, but unfortunately you can’t use that forever. The PSN is an impressive service, but it is still missing key features that the competition has had for years. GamesonSmash has compiled a list of what we would like to see in this upcoming update.

DCI:

* More status options: Users should be able to pick from being Invisible, away, or do not disturb. I also think if you watching a Blu Ray movie the title should be under your name.

* Myspace like profiles for the PSN: Expand on the PSN profiles by making it more like Myspace or Facebook. Make it so that you’re not just a name.

* A reworked friends list: Taking another nod from social networking, have an option where you can have a top friends list. Change the friend list interface as well.

* More support for the in game screen shots that was introduced in firmware 2.43

Blade 206:

* A top ten most played list: Most of us on the PSN want to know what the most played games are on PSN. In my opinion this would be a plus.

* YouTube for games: All Sony needs to do is making YouTube for all the games besides just Pixel Junk Eden. Just think of all the bragging rights you can have while the whole world is watching you destroy your friends over and over again.

* Video messaging: We can already record video with Eyecreate, why not send the videos to you friends and tell them what’s up?

* PSN/Playstation.com Integration: You can be on your PC and still message people on you friends list.

WorseCase:

* Voice Messaging: An alternative option to sending a text message on PSN. It’s quicker and easier than text when you’re in the middle of playing a game.

* Custom Soundtracks: Motor Storm Pacific Rift lets you play custom soundtracks offline but doesn’t let you online. This needs to change for other games that do this as well. Also streaming your custom soundtracks from other storage media will be appreciated. That way I can save 10 GB of music on my hard drive space on my PS3.

* In Game Chat: It is a huge pain to be in a game and not being able to chat with a friend. Sony also needs to make this feature available in the background while you’re using the XMB, listening to music, and browsing PSN store.

..and there you have it. Hopefully at least some of these features make it in the update. Only time will tell, and until then I’ll see ya on the PSN!!

http://www.gamesonsmash.com/?p=3489

What else would you guys like?

I want cross game invites!

The Sony PlayStation 3 Firmware v2.60 update rolled out to the masses today. Sadly no major enhancements or improvements to make note of, unless you suffered from the dreaded Trophy bug that stopped you form playing particular games such as Wipeout HD and LittleBigPlanetm as well as Syncing Trophies, an Issue that I personally had and I am glad to report is now fixed with the 2.60 update!

The PS3 firmware update (v2.60) is designed primarily to enhance the system’s media capabilities. The key feature is a new Photo Gallery application, which delivers a suite of tools for sorting through and displaying your digital photo collection. Digital pictures can be organized in groups according to various criteria, including the camera used to take the photos, the event date and time, colors in the photos, as well as the number, ages, or facial expressions of the people pictured. You can also create slideshows set to music and build photo playlists with an easy-to-use interface. The Photo Gallery application will need to be installed separately from the XMB after you update your PS3’s firmware. To install the Photo Gallery application, go to the Photo section on the XMB, select Photo Gallery and press the X button.

The 2.60 update also includes:

* Guest access to PlayStation Store – This enables non-PlayStation Network members to browse through the storefront to check out the latest games, demos, videos, etc.
* DivX 3.11 support – Videos in this format can now be played on PS3.

Last edited:
meh there's a lot of room for improvement, half of the stuff in the list would be a definite plus. XBL has this feature to create a chat room while in game where only the people you invite get in, I am guess is on the list too, well that works perfect when you are in a lobby room and you don't want to listen to everyone. The interface is easy and you can go form chat room to everyone can listen in no time.

Rumor: Leaked Firmware v2.7 details!

“Okay, GT, i lurk these boards a lot so i’m going to throw you a bone. Take it or leave it. Anyway, A friend of mine works in an R&D department at Sony and recently let me in on the firmware details for 2.7. If you were disappointed with 2.6, you’ll probably like what you’re about to hear, but it’s still missing some very crucial (and heavily requested) features. Here’s a list of the things he told me will be changed:

Friends List:
- Voice Messaging is now available as an alternative to text after selecting a user on the friends list. Voice message recordings are capped at 30 seconds.
- Home Integration: Saved Playstation Home avatar photos can be selected as photo ID for Gamer Card/Friends List.
- Trophy number and Gamer Level are listed under Friend names for quick reference.

Gamer Card & Trophies:
- Gamer Card layout has been changed to more closely resemble the Playstation Store aesthetic.
- Past Trophy information can be viewed in detail by selecting “Recent Trophy History” option.
- Newly aquired trophies auto-sync in the background
- Server infrastructure for Trophies has been optimized. Resulting in faster retrieval time for Gamer Card and Trophy information.

In-Game XMB:
- Loading time for In-Game XMB has been drastically reduced, resulting in a more seemless in-game experience.
- “Theme settings” options while in-game is now available, allowing custom themes to be applied to the In-Game XMB.
- Internet Browser can now be accessed while in-game.
- Voice messaging and voice chat options can be used while in-game.
- Options that cannot be used in the XMB during game sessions are grayed out (but still selectable) to eliminate user accessibility confusion.

Misc:
- Other slight UI tweaks and enhancements.

Seems like there is still no word on cross-game invites, but i think the integration of Home (as small as it is) into the rest of the Playstation experience is still a step in the right direction. The update is pretty big but he said it would hit sometime in Q2 of ‘09″.

http://forums.gametrailers.com/thread/736764?page=1

Wow, this is awesome news ... goodbye campers in shooting games LOL ... send a lil voice message real quck ... "Yo horhay he is hiding in the bushes aroud the the corner of the grey building"

:p

Oh yeah, and smilies are coming :D

Wow, this is awesome news ... goodbye campers in shooting games LOL ... send a lil voice message real quck ... "Yo horhay he is hiding in the bushes aroud the the corner of the grey building"

:p

Oh yeah, and smilies are coming :D

I know. Last time i was trying to type and keep up with where he was going on socom. He moves by the time I type and send LOL

I know. Last time i was trying to type and keep up with where he was going on socom. He moves by the time I type and send LOL

Yeah, this way you can say ... he killed me in the red room so check around there and be careful of red room allys

haha ... its going to REALLY make clans strong in stealth like shooter games ... thankfully for us, we got a huge clan :p

2.7 Just announced!!!
blog.us.playstation.com

You can now save the videos from the store that you bought, and have text chat with up to 15 other people!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.