Tenebrae (1982) 40th Anniversary (4K+ Blu-ray Limited Edition) (Arrow Video) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: July 18, 2022
Purchase links: Arrow Films - Amazon UK - Zavvi - HMV
Price: £35.00 (Arrow Films) - £34.99 (Amazon - Zavvi - HMV)

279565518_5460737637293519_5107873510485236381_n.jpg

Last edited:
Check to see which Arrow ones in the past few years have had 4k scans. I can bet you we'll get special 4k releases of most of them.
I assume that we are going to get releases for most of his films apart from his later stuff.
Must have for me! Will go for the Arte Originale when it gets announced
I really like most of the Arte Originale releases but I think the art style on the standard releases is going to look great once complete.

Reactions: Lord Vader
I assume that we are going to get releases for most of his films apart from his later stuff.

I really like most of the Arte Originale releases but I think the art style on the standard releases is going to look great once complete.
I did go with the 'Creepers' edition of Phenomena as I've always loved that artwork but yeah artwork is great across the board whichever version you choose :thumbs:

i still remember how arrow once put some effort into the design of its releases

maybe the art choices are limited, but imo all the 4k rereleased look bad :/

• New 4K restoration from the original camera negative by Arrow Films
  • Limited edition packaging with reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Obviously Creative
  • Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring writing on the film by filmmaker Peter Strickland and Argento biographer Alan Jones, an interview with cinematographer Luciano Tovoli and a new, in-depth analysis of the film by critic Ashley Lane
  • Fold-out double-sided poster featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Obviously Creative
  • Six double-sided, postcard-sized lobby card reproduction artcards
Disc 1 (4K Ultra HD Blu-ray) – Original Version

• 4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray™ presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
  • Original Italian and English front and end titles and insert shots
  • Restored original lossless mono Italian and English soundtracks
  • English subtitles for the Italian soundtrack
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtrack
  • Audio commentary by authors and critics Alan Jones and Kim Newman
  • Audio commentary by Argento expert Thomas Rostock
  • Audio commentary by Maitland McDonagh, author of Broken Mirrors/Broken Minds: The Dark Dreams of Dario Argento
  • Yellow Fever: The Rise and Fall of the Giallo, a feature-length documentary charting the genre from its beginnings to its influence on the modern slasher film, featuring interviews with Dario Argento, Umberto Lenzi, Luigi Cozzi and more
  • Being the Villain, a newly edited archival interview with actor John Steiner
  • Out of the Shadows, an archival interview with Maitland McDonagh
  • Voices of the Unsane, an archival featurette containing interviews with writer/director Dario Argento, actresses Daria Nicolodi and Eva Robins, cinematographer Luciano Tovoli, composer Claudio Simonetti and assistant director Lamberto Bava
  • Screaming Queen, an archival interview with Daria Nicolodi
  • The Unsane World of Tenebrae, an archival interview with Dario Argento
  • A Composition for Carnage, an archival interview with Claudio Simonetti
  • Archival introduction by Daria Nicolodi
  • International theatrical trailer
  • Japanese “Shadow” theatrical trailer
  • Alternate opening credits sequence
  • “Unsane” end credits sequence
  • Image galleries
Disc 2 (4K Ultra HD Blu-ray) – “Unsane” Version – Limited Edition Exclusive

• 4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray™ presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
  • The re-edited 90-minute US version, specially recreated for this release from the new 4K restoration of the full-length 101-minute version, exclusive to UHD
  • Two audio options: a recreation of the original theatrical experience, complete with jump cuts and sudden audio shifts, and a new, more seamless edit created for this release, both in restored lossless English mono
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Original “Take Me Tonight” stereo EP recording, performed by Kim Wilde
Disc 3 (Blu-ray) – Original Version

• High Definition Blu-ray™ (1080p) presentation
  • All the same content as Disc 1

Reactions: paulboland
@hatredhorror
USA release is from Synapse Films

2 Editions

Retail Trade Wide USA Edition Limited to 6000
279217764_5587004821327477_2456117612987702357_n.jpg

USA Synapse/DiabolikDVD Exclusive Limited to 2000
279277742_5586837758010850_9136923541518720883_n.jpg

Reactions: hatredhorror
btw in terms of picture quality: is the upgrade from 1080p to 2160p worth it for these movies? i reckon theres not much of HDR and other effects?
For me, the strength lies in the new scans that significantly upgrade the picture quality from older blu-rays that did not receive a 4K scan. As far as HDR, lends itself well to Argento’s visceral visual style with scenes designed to shock As well as Argento’s focus on colors popping in scenes, like in Deep Red.

The best things to keep in mind with 4K releases: 1) Source material will help still dictate the way the film presents on your home theatre; 2) These films are not going to look the same as modern 4K releases like Battleship or Pacific Rim, which have that super crisp digital look- which is fine by me. I have an appreciation for both older and newer films on 4K.

For me, the strength lies in the new scans that significantly upgrade the picture quality from older blu-rays that did not receive a 4K scan. As far as HDR, lends itself well to Argento’s visceral visual style with scenes designed to shock As well as Argento’s focus on colors popping in scenes, like in Deep Red.

The best things to keep in mind with 4K releases: 1) Source material will help still dictate the way the film presents on your home theatre; 2) These films are not going to look the same as modern 4K releases like Battleship or Pacific Rim, which have that super crisp digital look- which is fine by me. I have an appreciation for both older and newer films on 4K.
the latest bluray wave, however, *is* based on 4k restaurations iirc.. directly taken from the phenomena and bird with the crystal plumage bluray standard releases: "Brand new 4K restoration of the film from the original camera negative"

and not sure what to think of post production hdr added to movies that were clearly not intended to have this effect.. imo a bit of authenticity is lost with HDR and therefore it feels more like a gimmick..

maybe i will try one release, but i have a feeling it wont convince me to upgrade all the argento movies..

Reactions: jb#69
the latest bluray wave, however, *is* based on 4k restaurations iirc.. directly taken from the phenomena and bird with the crystal plumage bluray standard releases: "Brand new 4K restoration of the film from the original camera negative"

and not sure what to think of post production hdr added to movies that were clearly not intended to have this effect.. imo a bit of authenticity is lost with HDR and therefore it feels more like a gimmick..

maybe i will try one release, but i have a feeling it wont convince me to upgrade all the argento movies..
Good approach- try one see what you think. I recently passed on upgrading a Tinker Tailor and Robocop as I thought BluRays looked great

Reactions: hatredhorror