paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: November 18, 2019
Purchase links: Amazon UK - Zavvi - Eureka
Price: £17.70 (Amazon) - £19.99 (Zavvi) - £19.99 (Eureka)
Notes: Hardbound Slipcase - A Limited Edition 60-Page Perfect Bound Collector s book featuring new and archival writing on the film

91eTB7Lch3L._SX342_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Interestingly, I first heard the story dramatized on a classic old radio show called "ESCAPE", but it was called "Leiningen vs. the Ants" - and also starred William Conrad!

Hi Buddy @c.c. !
Yep! I have that radio show on a cassette tape that I taped many many years ago.
The Title you've mentioned comes from the short story that, you guessed it, Richard Matheson wrote a generation ago, heh.
I keep forgetting to order a hard copy of that short story ( and his MANY other works) I think I'll do a hunt today for it.
:thanks: for the reminder!

As to the OP topic, heh, yeah watched that trailer @Scraggy and the upgrade looks fantastic!
Eagerly looking forward to buying this!

• Thanks
Reactions: C.C. 95 and Scraggy
Hi Buddy @c.c. !
Yep! I have that radio show on a cassette tape that I taped many many years ago.
The Title you've mentioned comes from the short story that, you guessed it, Richard Matheson wrote a generation ago, heh.
I keep forgetting to order a hard copy of that short story ( and his MANY other works) I think I'll do a hunt today for it.
:thanks: for the reminder!

As to the OP topic, heh, yeah watched that trailer @Scraggy and the upgrade looks fantastic!
Eagerly looking forward to buying this!
*not a bad reminder that I have tons of Old Radio cassettes I need to transfer!
(The problem is old radio shows are public domain- so the quality varies widely. Some of the Old Radio Shows you can find on Audible or elsewhere may not be the best quality. Example: I have the complete Rathbone/Bruce Sherlock Holmes shows on cassette - but the versions I have heard on Audible are terrible in comparison.
But, yeah, there are lots of great movies that first were done on Radio, and it is worthwhile to seek them out. (And of course, a lot of great movies were also done on TV first (like Playhouse 90) before being made into films.)*

*check out the Criterion DVD GOLDEN AGE OF TELEVISION.

Reactions: Grendel
happy days. :) had a very old-school Christmas on the lucky gift front, of which this was one, a film that has grown on me more each time i have watched it over the years, and have got to appreciate how good the performances and direction are. limited edition still available via all links in the OP at time of posting, so for those interested... :woot:

there are some great extras on the disc, as show here in the credits. back of the slip is the usual Eureka! blank slate - it sort of works as many of their releases look as much like books as they do films (see the spine shot), but i still think this is a policy of theirs they should revise :meh::
the lurid cover featuring someone who looks a bit like a 20-something Katharine Hepburn was one of the original posters, but the option to switch covers inside gives you for me a much better image, and a bit of variety:
shots of the back of the amaray and disc:
finally, the 60-page booklet is up to the usual Eureka! standards, featuring tons of making of, behind the scenes and post-release essays and write-ups. my copy seems to be a really tight fit into the slipcase, but no other quibbles:
the restoration job looks fine, especially after having seen a fragment of the film on tv over Christmas, using the old print (i.e. the gif below). highly recommended if you do not yet have it. :thumbs: goes down well with a cup of tea - or of course a glass of gin. ;)