paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: November 18, 2019
Purchase links: Amazon UK - Zavvi - Eureka
Price: £17.70 (Amazon) - £19.99 (Zavvi) - £19.99 (Eureka)
Notes: Hardbound Slipcase - A Limited Edition 60-Page Perfect Bound Collector s book featuring new and archival writing on the film

91eTB7Lch3L._SX342_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Eureka Entertainment to release THE AFRICAN QUEEN, John Huston’s heartfelt and thrilling romantic adventure starring Humphrey Bogart and Katharine Hepburn, on Blu-ray presented with a Limited Edition Hardbound Case and 60-page Collector’s Book [3000 copies only] as a part of The Masters of Cinema Series from 18 November 2019.

Three movie giants come together in the cinematic classic The African Queen, combining the masterful direction of John Huston with the fabulous chemistry of Humphrey Bogart and Katharine Hepburn in their only onscreen pairing. Adapted from a novel by C.S. Forester, this wartime romantic adventure sees the pair forced to travel together down a hazardous East African river after the outbreak of World War I.

Katharine Hepburn plays Rose Sayer, the maiden-lady sister of a prim British missionary (Robert Morley). When invading Germans kill her brother and level the village, Charlie Allnut (Bogart in the role which won him his only Oscar), the slovenly, gin-swilling captain of a tramp steamer called the African Queen, offers to take Rose back to civilisation. She can't tolerate his drinking or bad manners; he isn't crazy about her imperious, judgmental attitude. However, it does not take long before their passionate dislike turns to love. Together the disparate duo work to ensure their survival on the treacherous waters and devise an ingenious way to destroy a German gunboat.

The African Queen is one of the most beloved films in the history of cinema, and may well be the perfect adventure film. With a roller-coaster storyline complemented by the chemistry between its stars, and masterful direction from John Huston, The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present The African Queen on Blu-ray in a special Limited Edition.

91eTB7Lch3L._SL1500_.jpg

Blu-Ray Special Edition

• Hardbound Slipcase
  • PLUS: A LIMITED EDITION 60-PAGE Perfect Bound Collector’s book featuring new and archival writing on the film
  • Presented in 1080p from Paramount’s 4K restoration
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
  • Uncompressed LPCM audio (original mono)
  • Isolated Music & Effects track
  • Audio Commentary by cinematographer Jack Cardiff
  • A brand new and exclusive interview with film critic and writer Kim Newman
  • Newly filmed interview with film historian Neil Sinyard
  • Embracing Chaos: Making The African Queen [59 mins] – a comprehensive documentary about the making of the film
  • Trailer

Reactions: Grendel
that's an amazing cover. :wow: Bogart looks at least a decade younger, and Hepburn about 30 years younger! worth a purchase for that alone. well, that and the book - Eureka!'s books are always seriously of substance and worth an actual read.

thanks for this and all other recent Eureka! updates, @paulboland :thumbs:

Excellent release, love the cover. I prefer these typical classic poster designs over more modern or artistic art any day. Also haven’t gotten around to buy this yet so an instant pre order!

that's an amazing cover. :wow: Bogart looks at least a decade younger, and Hepburn about 30 years younger! worth a purchase for that alone. well, that and the book - Eureka!'s books are always seriously of substance and worth an actual read.

thanks for this and all other recent Eureka! updates, @paulboland :thumbs:

Well, much as I love Kate, the artist conception on the cover makes her look more like Eleanor Parker. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: steelmybeatingheart
Well, much as I love Kate, the artist conception on the cover makes her look more like Eleanor Parker. ;)
It is one of the Vintage Posters used. So it was an image actually hanging in movie houses at the time!
(But, I get your point! I think artists tended to over exaggerate some women's beauty).

It is one of the Vintage Posters used. So it was an image actually hanging in movie houses at the time!
(But, I get your point! I think artists tended to over exaggerate some women's beauty).

True that, but NOBODY could exaggerate Eleanor Parker's beauty. She could stop traffic strolling down the sidewalk. :whistle:

1568850040280.png

heh, sorry for de-railing the thread... ;)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: C.C. 95
Ah, yes, knew I'd seen these colours before:-
1568853958616.png
+
1568854022593.png

As for the film: not a fan and never took a shine to Ms. Hepburn although admittedly about time Bogart got an Oscar some fifteen years after his breakthrough film in 1936.

• Haha
@virkia ; Thanks for the scene from one of my all time childhood fave films "The Naked Jungle" ! :thanks:
I'd pay serious coin for a lovely blu-ray of that as my dvd leaves much to be desired presentation wise.

Love The Naked Jungle I have the rare laserdisc of it. Would love to see a deluxe edition of it. If I remember right the scenes of the ants were actually used in an episode of MacGyver
The scene with William Conrad always sticks in my memory..... You know the one I'm on about.....

• Friendly
Reactions: virkia and Grendel
@Lollard2002 : Yep I have the LD as well (I'll upload a pic but not here as I've already taken this thread into the boondocks).
You're right about the MaGyver steal as well, especially the one where Heston gets deluged by water after blowing the dam.
And yeah, I know the Conrad scene you mean.

edit: pic posted in "Last Special Editions Purchased" Thread.

Last edited:
Love The Naked Jungle I have the rare laserdisc of it. Would love to see a deluxe edition of it. If I remember right the scenes of the ants were actually used in an episode of MacGyver
The scene with William Conrad always sticks in my memory..... You know the one I'm on about.....
Interestingly, I first heard the story dramatized on a classic old radio show called "ESCAPE", but it was called "Leiningen vs. the Ants" - and also starred William Conrad!