The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Lenticular) (HMV Exclusive) [UK]

Mar 24, 2013
Release date: August 22, 2016
Purchase link: HMV
Price: £14.99
Note: This limited edition hmv exclusive steelbook includes embossing on Spider-Man and the film title and includes a 3D lenticular.

01-343400.jpg

02-343400.jpg
03-343400.jpg
04-343400.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Drum18
Whilst this steely looks really nice, I must admit to getting a bit narked off at the UK blu-ray distributors giving us umpteen versions of the same old movies whilst other new releases like The Witch, Midnight Special, Bridge of Spies, etc get passed over for a UK steelbook.

If they are going to concentrate on old movies, can we not have previously unreleased movies like Ronin or Constantine rather than the continual rehash of multiple Marvel releases ? As much as I am a pretty big Marvel fan, I am getting kinda bored of all these steelbook redesigns. Spiderman, Ultron, Antman, Hulk, Aaaaaaarrrgggghhhhh....

Some of the old movie releases just confound me... who on earth is going to want to buy Three Amigos, Kickboxer or Killer Klowns From Outer Space in steelbook format ? Really ??

I am starting to wonder why I got into this steelbook game now ? I guess it is just a bit of an addiction that I am now starting to wonder if I need to kick.

:stop:

Same aswel as as the original spidey 2 (that's the best of the first 3 especially the directors cut)

I thought ASM2 was good, not great. It made a decent amount of money, just not enough for Sony. Thankfully it gave us the ability to have Spider-Man in the MCU.

Whilst this steely looks really nice, I must admit to getting a bit narked off at the UK blu-ray distributors giving us umpteen versions of the same old movies whilst other new releases like The Witch, Midnight Special, Bridge of Spies, etc get passed over for a UK steelbook.

If they are going to concentrate on old movies, can we not have previously unreleased movies like Ronin or Constantine rather than the continual rehash of multiple Marvel releases ? As much as I am a pretty big Marvel fan, I am getting kinda bored of all these steelbook redesigns. Spiderman, Ultron, Antman, Hulk, Aaaaaaarrrgggghhhhh....

Some of the old movie releases just confound me... who on earth is going to want to buy Three Amigos, Kickboxer or Killer Klowns From Outer Space in steelbook format ? Really ??

I am starting to wonder why I got into this steelbook game now ? I guess it is just a bit of an addiction that I am now starting to wonder if I need to kick.

:stop:

It boils down to money. As well made as Ronin may be it's not a 'cult' movie and it didn't make it's $55m back at the cinema and probably doesn't have high home video figures so studios wont release a steelbook.

As for the some others you mention The Witch, MS. Again not hugely strong at the box office and companies don't believe these would sell out a 4000 run on steel which would be priced far higher than the Amaray (The amarays would probably be discounted nearer Xmas anyway). Three Amigos has a cult following, as does Kickboxer. Even then it's a gamble for studios to release these as there's no guarantee they'll sell out before they're discounted. Sometimes you get lower print runs (2000) than the usual Scanavo minimum of 4000 but distribution companies have to absorb the higher cost.

Marvel sells. Always. People now have collections of these from around the world and there is always people who got into the game late and don't want to pay high prices for steels they missed out on previously. Re-releases are meant for these guys plus it's a way to make money. Whilst Spidey didn't make a massive amount at the box office it's superhero pull on the home market means it sells and it's a way for companies like Fox and Sony to claw back money they lost to overblown CGI budgets. Look at Blockbuster movies that are pretty poor; Wolverine Origins, Transformers, Fantastic 4 (all of them) and you'll see they're pretty much sold out in shops.

Bridge of Spies made $160 worldwide so that might get a Steel release somewhere down the line but for those Oscar winning movies you'd be better checking out the Korean Slipcover market - Plain Archive are big with some more artistic movies and offer more than you'll get in a steelbook.

It boils down to money.

Yep. I know you're right jitstark... just felt like a bit of a Tuesday afternoon rant there for a minute.

And you know the really stupid thing that legitimises what the distributors keep doing... I wouldn't be massively surprised if the cold turkey kicks in & I buy a lenticular Ant Man anyway... Doh !!!

:wtf::happy:

Reactions: digitalbabe
Yep. I know you're right jitstark... just felt like a bit of a Tuesday afternoon rant there for a minute.

And you know the really stupid thing that legitimises what the distributors keep doing... I wouldn't be massively surprised if the cold turkey kicks in & I buy a lenticular Ant Man anyway... Doh !!!

:wtf::happy:

It's all good. Ive been around the steelbook block for ages and have seen sooooooo many re-releases I've become indifferent to it. I'm way more selective in what I collect now. I'm still pretty weak when it comes to a lenti though!

I thought ASM2 was good, not great. It made a decent amount of money, just not enough for Sony. Thankfully it gave us the ability to have Spider-Man in the MCU.

To be fair I really love both the new spideys. But I think I prefer the first to the second. My only issue was Ifans at times

I really need to rewatch those... not even sure if I've ever seen the director's cut.

I always loved the second film of the orginals (and the first too except that dodgy edit when Defoe dies) and I had no clue there was a directors cut until I got the Tripple steel. And it's not just dialogue, it's full on action scenes too like the train fight and other action. And the woman from deathproof is in it for 10 seconds lol
It's a great directors cut

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
To be fair I really love both the new spideys. But I think I prefer the first to the second. My only issue was Ifans at times

I always loved the second film of the orginals (and the first too except that dodgy edit when Defoe dies) and I had no clue there was a directors cut until I got the Tripple steel. And it's not just dialogue, it's full on action scenes too like the train fight and other action. And the woman from deathproof is in it for 10 seconds lol
It's a great directors cut
The first two films were definitely a lot of fun! I've never been a big fan of Maguire though and always thought he was a really strange choice for Spider-Man... I'm not a fan of Topher Grace either, so I knew I'd hate Spider-Man 3 before I even saw it lol.

I thought ASM & ASM2 was a lot better though and felt Garfield was the perfect Spidey... thinking about it, I liked all the cast. Was really hoping for an ASM3 before they passed the torch over to Marvel... I'm not too sure I like the direction they're taking it if I'm honest.

Damn, really?! I have the trilogy steel somewhere, so I'll definitely have to check it out at some point. Cheers for the info mate. :thumbs: