The Batman - In theaters March 04, 2022

Apr 17, 2009
San Diego, CA
4.67 star(s) Rating: 4.67/5 6 Votes
Title: The Batman

Genre: Action, Drama, Crime

Director: Matt Reeves

Cast: Robert Pattinson (Bruce Wayne / Batman); Andy Serkis (Alfred Pennyworth); Zoë Kravitz (Selina Kyle / Catwoman); Matthew McConaughey (Harvey Dent / Two-Face); Paul Dano (Edward Nashton / The Riddler); Colin Farrell (Oswald Cobblepot / The Penguin); Jeffrey Wright (Commissioner Gordon); John Turturro (Carmine Falcone)

Release: 2022-03-04

Plot: Batman's first stand-alone appearance in the DC Extended Universe.

Warner Bros. Chief Jeff Robinov Says They’ll Reboot Batman Franchise & Chris Nolan Will Produce

With Christopher Nolan directing his last installment, “The Dark Knight Rises,” it looks like neither he nor Warner Bros. are ready to let go of huge comic tentpole just yet. Plans are to reboot it entirely—but with Christopher Nolan overlooking the process. “We have the third Batman, but then we’ll have to reinvent Batman,” Warner Bros. chief Jeff Robinov said. Asked if he meant a reboot, he said: “I do. Chris Nolan and [producing partner and wife] Emma Thomas will be producing it, so it will be a conversation with them about what the next phase is.”

It’s a pretty smart play by WB and for Nolan too. It keeps him well ensconced at the studio who bankrolled “Inception” and if he can keep making them bank, we’re sure that mutual relationship can continue. Although, how much can the franchise really and truly be refreshed if the director and visionary of the last three films is directly involved in the production? Guess we’ll have to see.

I have a small hope that this is just a PR stunt to kill the speculations among fans that Batman dies in TDKR. :D
I don't think he dies i thinks he just gives them everything he has which would be his true identity.
I would be happier if they waited a bit more to reboot the franchise and leave what I believe will be the perfect trilogy out there for a while.

Well they can't wait to long if there doing a Justice League movie.

I would be happier if they waited a bit more to reboot the franchise and leave what I believe will be the perfect trilogy out there for a while.

Yes I 100% agree. This trilogy will have exceeded my beloved Matrix & Bourne trilogies (Although Bourne's not really a trilogy anymore) as the top trilogy for sure.

Plus man its going to take some serious kahuna's to fill the shoes of what Nolan did with this series. If I was a movie maker I sure wouldn't want to follow Nolan with Batman movies as the bar is set SO HIGH now. Everyones going to compare anything that ever comes out after these three to Nolan's series. I guess it help tremendous if it does turn out to be true the Nolan's going to help and produce. Thats would change things drastically for the next director and writers of another Batman reboot.

Its just so amazing and I know TDKR is going to be amazing as well. I really dont think a comic character based movie/series has been done this well ever. I mean sure Marvel and their releases are close but even IM2 was weak making the series no where close as strong as Nolan's Batman series even if the third IM is amazing. No one will touch this trilogy for a long time. Avengers combined together are the only thing giving Batman a run for its money and even then I mean its almost not fair to compare the entire Avengers lineup to Batman alone.

The only reason for the quick turn around is Justice League. They want the new Batman ready to go so they can shoot straight into it. They don't want to be giving more lead time for Marvel. They don't have the time to do it like Marvel since Marvel is already moving ahead and planning Avengers 2.

Do I like it? No. I don't think anyone would be able to reproduce Batman like Nolan has. It would take a few years for me to forgot Nolan's Batman.

Reactions: Jason Bourne
The only reason for the quick turn around is Justice League. They want the new Batman ready to go so they can shoot straight into it. They don't want to be giving more lead time for Marvel. They don't have the time to do it like Marvel since Marvel is already moving ahead and planning Avengers 2.

Do I like it? No. I don't think anyone would be able to reproduce Batman like Nolan has. It would take a few years for me to forgot Nolan's Batman.

A few years... I think not at least for myself. I think after a successful series like this you gotta wait at least 6 - 8 years before trying again. I dont think a Justice League movie will work for WB like it has for Marvel with the Avengers. You have to establish the characters in movies prior like Marvel did and add a couple characters in.

They need to release separate movies first along with a Batman series again since neither Nolan or Bale are continuing on with the Batman movies in order to make a Justice League movie. IMO if they wanna make a successful justice league movie it will have to be a LONG time in the future in order to do it. Anything before hand will just be mediocre in all likely hood.

Its too bad in a way that Nolan and Bale won't continue on... maybe wait a few years and see if someone can make successful Superman, Arrow, etc. movies and try a justice league movie.

You are right but they don't have the time to follow Marvel's footprint. By then, who knows if the crowd will be receptive to it? Look if you wait 6-8 years, you are giving Marvel more time to solidify their hold on the Superhero market and it will make your movie seem like a copy cat.

There was an article a while ago that stated DC/WB wanted to use Superman to launch the JLA. They would do Superman, Lobo then launch directly into a JLA movie. The characters like Wonder Woman, Flash and Green arrow would be introduced.

Here it is:

http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/co...-directors-batman-superman-green-lantern-flas

Take it with a huge grain of salt but that timeline works better for them as it allows them to release it before Avengers 2 and strike while the iron is hot.

A few years... I think not at least for myself. I think after a successful series like this you gotta wait at least 6 - 8 years before trying again. I dont think a Justice League movie will work for WB like it has for Marvel with the Avengers. You have to establish the characters in movies prior like Marvel did and add a couple in.

They need to release separate movies first along with a Batman series again since neither Nolan or Bale are continuing on with the Batman movies in order to make a Justice League movie. IMO if they wanna make a successful justice league movie it will have to be a LONG time in the future in order to do it. Anything before hand will just be mediocre in all likely hood.

Its too bad in a way that Nolan and Bale won't continue on... maybe wait a few years and see if someone can make successful Superman, Arrow, etc. movies and try a justice league movie.

You are right but they don't have the time to follow Marvel's footprint. By then, who knows if the crowd will be receptive to it? Look if you wait 6-8 years, you are giving Marvel more time to solidify their hold on the Superhero market and it will make your movie seem like a copy cat.

There was an article a while ago that stated DC/WB wanted to use Superman to launch the JLA. They would do Superman, Lobo then launch directly into a JLA movie. The characters like Wonder Woman, Flash and Green arrow would be introduced.

Here it is:

http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/co...-directors-batman-superman-green-lantern-flas

Take it with a huge grain of salt but that timeline works better for them as it allows them to release it before Avengers 2 and strike while the iron is hot.

No I totally understand they wanna compete now. It makes sense. While I 100% agree everyone will call them a copycat if they wait and do it over with individual character movies and then a justice league movie, but, if they do the movies well like Nolan has I dont think any of the audience will mind and likely forget that it is a copy cat of Marvel's outline to success.

I mean I dont know about you but people that are into super hero movies I really dont think they get any less excited about them regardless of time of release or otherwise. Marvel may have a large market share but I still think people who love Batman, Superman, etc. will show up and fill the theatres in regardless even if they wait. Look at how bad Superman returns was and still it made money.

That being said I can live with them quickly releasing some individual character movies and then moving into justice league but boy oh boy will this explode in their face if they dont get Batman "right" after Nolan with it being released so fast after his series ends. Not to mention they HAVE to get Superman "right" this time. If they dont do well the justice league project will just fall face first to the ground before it even takes off. Take green lantern for example... I mean really who wants too see that being a part of Justice League, lol (no offence to anyone? who liked the movie).

All I can say is its going to be twice as hard to please fans so quickly after Nolan's series ends since its THAT good and you know immediately the comparisons will start between the new Batman movie and Nolan's movies. So it has to impress.

Its just going to be really tough too pull off in a "quick" timeframe like it appears they want to. I think the best thing if they (the studio) want to make a Justice Leauge movie that quick is to maybe convince Nolan and Bale to stay on, lol. Beg, plead and do anything to keep them on. This way all they gotta do is hit a home run with Superman and maybe another character and there off to the races.

Although, then there is the argument that many people think Nolan's Batman while worked extremely well for his movies doesn't fit the world of Justice League that well since he ventured off quite a bit to make it work for his movies.

All I know its exciting times with talk like this happening for super hero movies. The tech these days really has brought the genre to life with unbelievable FX and CG.

Last edited:
I agree. Everything hinges on Superman doing well. If that movie falls, it will be hard to get JLA up. Green Lantern's failure set them back. Another article I've read said that Nolan will be put in charge of all DC movies but as a producer. He already has his hands in Superman. While I love Nolan's Batman, his approach has closed off Batman from JLA and the rest of the cast.

Nolan's Batman is in his own little world. Nolan made Batman rooted in realism as possible which means that superheros with powers don't exist in his world. That is why a reboot is needed to introduce a Batman that is part of the JLA world. The downside is that no one will be able to give us a Batman like Nolan's. I don't even want to imagine which director will get it, which actor will play Batman and where they go in terms of story.

No I totally understand they wanna compete now. It makes sense. While I 100% agree everyone will call them a copycat if they wait and do it over with individual character movies and then a justice league movie, but, if they do the movies well like Nolan has I dont think any of the audience will mind and likely forget that it is a copy cat of Marvel's outline to success.

I mean I dont know about you but people that are into super hero movies I really dont think they get any less excited about them regardless of time of release or otherwise. Marvel may have a large market share but I still think people who love Batman, Superman, etc. will show up and fill the theatres in regardless even if they wait. Look at how bad Superman returns was and still it made money.

That being said I can live with them quickly releasing some individual character movies and then moving into justice league but boy oh boy will this explode in their face if they dont get Batman "right" after Nolan with it being released so fast after his series ends. Not to mention they HAVE to get Superman "right" this time. If they dont do well the justice league project will just fall face first to the ground before it even takes off. Take green lantern for example... I mean really who wants too see that being a part of Justice League, lol (no offence to anyone? who liked the movie).

All I can say is its going to be twice as hard to please fans so quickly after Nolan's series ends since its THAT good and you know immediately the comparisons will start between the new Batman movie and Nolan's movies. So it has to impress.

Its just going to be really tough too pull off in a "quick" timeframe like it appears they want to. I think the best thing if they (the studio) want to make a Justice Leauge movie that quick is to maybe convince Nolan and Bale to stay on, lol. Beg, plead and do anything to keep them on. This way all they gotta do is hit a home run with Superman and maybe another character and there off to the races.

Although, then there is the argument that many people think Nolan's Batman while worked extremely well for his movies doesn't fit the world of Justice League that well since he ventured off quite a bit to make it work for his movies.

All I know its exciting times with talk like this happening for super hero movies. The tech these days really has brought the genre to life with unbelievable FX and CG.

If they are gonna reboot the franchise, I hope they pick new villains and not do Joker again. If they want to connect the new ones to Justice League, then at least choose some crazy fantastical villains like Clayface or Solomon Grundy. I don't think they can do Killer Croc now that Spiderman is doing the Lizard. I bet the next Batman will go with Riddler though.

i hope so, Riddler is the most underated villian ever. Clayface is more of a henchmen than a standalone villain, but would be awesome nonetheless. Grundy is awesome as well.

But I'd ultimately prefer Mr. Freeze to be done right, not like Aghhr Aghrr eeets timmme too cheel Arnold

i hope so, Riddler is the most underated villian ever. Clayface is more of a henchmen than a standalone villain, but would be awesome nonetheless. Grundy is awesome as well.

But I'd ultimately prefer Mr. Freeze to be done right, not like Aghhr Aghrr eeets timmme too cheel Arnold

Cool Party! Agghr Agghr

I love Arnold - he's the only character I like in that film.

Does Riddler have any famous henchmen in the comics or just generic goons? I guess after Batman getting a villain that he can actually fight (Bane), now they can go back to a type of villain that don't need the hero and villain going fist to fist with each other. Unless there is some fighting version of Riddler? What could Riddler do though - make Batman break down and cry from a really frustrating riddle? Plant bombs throughout the city like in Die Hard 3. Screw with Bruce Wayne's life by acting as his therapist?

@ steelbook86: couldn't have said it better man.....and I'm very happy there are so many fans of the Nolan trilogy. I'm soooooo looking forward to the third installment but I'm also very sad we won't see another one. I have complete trust in Nolan and if he believes 'the legend ends' now with this third one than I can't wait how he will end this trilogy.

I agree. Everything hinges on Superman doing well. If that movie falls, it will be hard to get JLA up. Green Lantern's failure set them back. Another article I've read said that Nolan will be put in charge of all DC movies but as a producer. He already has his hands in Superman. While I love Nolan's Batman, his approach has closed off Batman from JLA and the rest of the cast.

Nolan's Batman is in his own little world. Nolan made Batman rooted in realism as possible which means that superheros with powers don't exist in his world. That is why a reboot is needed to introduce a Batman that is part of the JLA world. The downside is that no one will be able to give us a Batman like Nolan's. I don't even want to imagine which director will get it, which actor will play Batman and where they go in terms of story.

^^^ yup. If they screw up Superman its all over for JLA IMO. Same thing applies to Batman... it needs to be redone in order to make JLA and its success level will always be compared to Nolan's Batman. Its what people do, lol.

If they are gonna reboot the franchise, I hope they pick new villains and not do Joker again. If they want to connect the new ones to Justice League, then at least choose some crazy fantastical villains like Clayface or Solomon Grundy. I don't think they can do Killer Croc now that Spiderman is doing the Lizard. I bet the next Batman will go with Riddler though.

^^^^ oh man dont even get me started on trying to do the Joker role again. Its going to be even harder then casting a new Batman after Bale. The performance Ledger gave as Joker was EPIC and untouchable. They HAVE to go another route with villains and Riddler would be an awesome start.

@ steelbook86: couldn't have said it better man.....and I'm very happy there are so many fans of the Nolan trilogy. I'm soooooo looking forward to the third installment but I'm also very sad we won't see another one. I have complete trust in Nolan and if he believes 'the legend ends' now with this third one than I can't wait how he will end this trilogy.

^^^ Yup same here. Trust Nolan 100% that if he believes this is the time to end it and then it is. Nolan's Batman series will be remembered for decades IMO as one of the best. Nothing comes close as a series of movies for a comic book character (at least in my time as a living person, lol). Not to mention when TDKR comes out it WILL be the best movie trilogy out there (subject to everyones own opinion obviously).

batman-headaer333.jpg

Deadline reports:

"Here’s one for the Comic-Con crowd to gnaw on. I’m told that Ben Affleck is teaming up with Geoff Johns to co-write a stand-alone Batman movie that Affleck will direct and star in after he completes his longstanding plan to helm his scripted adaptation of the Dennis Lehane novel Live By Night. Johns has about as much comic cred as anybody around. He’s DC Comics’ chief creative officer and has written some of its best remembered comic book series including Green Lantern, Aquaman, Batman, Justice League, The Flashand Superman. He also has written TV series superhero transfers Smallville, Arrowand The Flash, as well as the Supergirl project with Greg Berlanti for CBS.

My studio sources tell me that Affleck and Johns are well in synch and have more than found their rhythm. In fact, they are likely to turn in a script before the end of the summer, prior to Affleck going off to direct Live By Night in November. Affleck postponed that pic to star in Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice. The Batman movie would shoot after he finishes Live By Night, and the plot would reflect the Batman character that emerges after Batman V Superman and Justice League, the latter of which comes out November 17, 2017. DC and Warner Bros have set a long list of superhero movies that take the Marvel formula of interspersing characters from one film to the next, so it’s unclear when Affleck’s Batfilm will be slotted.

But it clearly will take priority, and other movies might have to move to get out of its way. While Marvel’s Kevin Feige has defied the odds and turned one Marvel character after another into hit films, I have been somewhat skeptical about the DC films that Warner Bros has made a top priority. This is a confidence booster. The best Batman blockbusters had a real sense of visual authorship, originated by Tim Burton, with the latest arc by Christopher Nolan. Now it falls to Affleck, who’ll creatively steer the Batman franchise after directing the Best Picture winner Argo and co-scripting and directing the gems The Town and Gone Baby Gone. Helped by the collaboration with DC-savvy Johns, this might be the most exciting news to hit the Con this weekend."

This is AMAZING news!!! Personally, I've been waiting for this confirmation for a LONG TIME! It's been rumored for awhile now that Affleck would take the reins on the next solo Batman movie(s) after being cast to play the role in Dawn of Justice. However, the addition of Geoff Johns makes this any Batman fanboy's dream come true. As a DC fan, and a fan of comics in general, this news gets me all antsy in my pantsy!!!

Big thanks to @Apollon for the post!

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database