Premium Supporter
Nov 26, 2017
Finland
2.50 star(s) Rating: 2.50/5 2 Votes
Title: The Black Phone (2022)

Tagline: Never talk to strangers.

Genre: Horror

Director: Scott Derrickson

Cast: Mason Thames, Madeleine McGraw, Jeremy Davies, Ethan Hawke, James Ransone, Michael Banks Repeta, Ryan Cronan, Braxton Alexander, Andrew Farmer, T. Maxwell Martin, Brady Ryan, Jacob Moran, Jordan Isaiah White, Spencer Fitzgerald

Release: 2022-01-27

Runtime: 102

Plot: A kidnapped boy is locked in a basement stained with the blood of murdered children. In the room with him is an antique telephone, long since disconnected, but which rings at night with calls from the dead.

This is going to be one of the best, most original horror movies, but don't watch the trailer - the dumbass bastards long lost the ability NOT to retell at least two thirds of it in the trailer!

1500x500.jpg

Had a choice between Lightyear, Jurassic 6, and this, which is what I picked of course.
Couldn't wait to see it. Sadly a lot was spoiled in the trailer I rightfully warned others not to watch, but it's still pretty tense throughout, with a somewhat predictable ending with a little twist.
I really liked it a lot, just not sure it's rewatchable much.

On the other note, colors are dull and bleak, maybe it's stylized like that for the 'look of late 70's', or maybe it's the stupid HDR10+ overly aggressive on my file.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database