Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Dec 28, 2012
Everywhere
3.00 star(s) Rating: 3.00/5 2 Votes
Title: The Bubble

Genre: Comedy

Director: Judd Apatow

Cast: Karen Gillan, Iris Apatow, Fred Armisen, Maria Bakalova, David Duchovny, Keegan-Michael Key, Leslie Mann, Pedro Pascal, Peter Serafinowicz, Vir Das, Rob Delaney, Galen Hopper, Samson Kayo, Guz Khan, Nick Kocher, Ross Lee, Harry Trevaldwyn, Danielle Vitalis

Plot: Follows a group of actors and actresses stuck inside a pandemic bubble at a hotel attempting to complete a film.

Wow.

bad-scrooge.gif

This movie really sucks. It's just awful. I kept checking the current running time as the movie went along wondering how much time had been wasted. 20 minutes, it's going to get better right? 45 minutes, wow that's a lot of unfunny stuff. More than hour into it and I was still waiting for it to get better.

Finally the last 20 minutes (of a 2 hour movie not including credits) were actually decent but it doesn't come anywhere close to saving the film.

This is just terrible. I bet they had a lot of fun making it and probably amused themselves but I find that these types of parodies or satires (or whatever the proper term for this type of film might be) never work.

When the end came and there was some mention about the "endings of films" I had already been thinking the same thing just before that came up which was exactly right.

Makes me think that that was the whole point of the film and they're laughing at us for making us sit through this awful 2 hours.

And it debuted on April 1st.

Well don't I feel like an April Fool.

"Say 'yes' to drugs!"

Such an entertaining movie, I haven't had this much fun for a while, definitely one of the best this year so far.
Nice cast, always liked Leslie Mann, haven't seen David Duchovny for a while, though he looks kind of bloated here, maybe because of all the actual home sitting.
There is some inconsistency in them seemingly making a crappy sequel in a franchise like Sharknado, yet it's costing over a 100 million dollars, and with relatively big stars, but I give it some artistic exaggeration, I guess. Plus there's a 6th big budget dinosaur movie actually coming to theaters soon...

It does try too hard, some of its attempts at humor are a bit ham-fisted, like it was in "Don't Look Up". Duchovny's character says in one scene to the director, that they should play to the top of the audience's intelligence, while in fact they do play to its bottom level, like director insisted. That's not to say there aren't more subtle moments, like poking fun at the ridiculousness of masks, face 'shields', vaccine availability, wealthy privilege, studio hierarchy and politics, actor contracts, etc.
Many cameos and pop culture name throwing, haven't had a movie production film like this since Tropic Thunder, although it's less 'grandiose', more in line with State & Main.

"So we're a family now!"
"No, that's just for the actors, they still think we're ****."

There are all kinds of stereotypes on display, the environmentalist actor, the TikTok 'star', the bullshit 'self-help' guru, 'asian kid' adoptee who happens to be
arrogant and ungrateful, always traveling to exotic and expensive locations studio head, no matter the 'pandemic', the new 'indie' director, that's afraid to be **** canned and replaced by Jon Favreau, the drug-popping 'method' actor, and many others.
And some awesome scenes, like dancing with a dinosaur, humping Daisy Ridley in the mirror, and drug induced face alterations.

"Stop being Benedict Cumberbatch!"

This movie really sucks. It's just awful. I kept checking the current running time as the movie went along wondering how much time had been wasted. 20 minutes, it's going to get better right? 45 minutes, wow that's a lot of unfunny stuff. More than hour into it and I was still waiting for it to get better.

Finally the last 20 minutes (of a 2 hour movie not including credits) were actually decent but it doesn't come anywhere close to saving the film.
:rofl: If it weren't apparent, I got exactly the opposite impression. 20 minutes in - huh, this is good; 45 minutes - wow, not even half, and so much fun stuff already happened. Last 20 minutes are the worst, just generic action ending, glad it didn't ruin the great film. :D

• Haha
Reactions: Stygian
I enjoyed it. Good meta satire p!ss take with some dark humour. Which is what I like in a comedy. Great cast too

Reactions: Lenny Nero
Watched it last night and really enjoyed it. Some really funny parts and the cast was great :D :thumbs:
Great to see Guz Khan in this too, very funny as usual.

Reactions: Lenny Nero
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database