DigiPack The Charlie Chaplin Collection (Blu-ray Digipack) [UK]

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
Released: 7th December, 2015
Purchase: Amazon.co.uk

11 films from the definitive icon of silent cinema. Contains The Kid, The Circus, The Gold Rush, City Lights, The Great Dictator, Modern Times, Limelight, The Chaplin Revue, A King in New York, A Woman of Paris, Monsieur Verdoux.

chaplin.jpg

Couldn't see a thread for this, so thought I'd create one since it's such a nice looking set.

I ordered mine from SpeedyHen because it's the cheapest I could find it (£40.99), but you can also get 5% off by using the code NEWCUST16 (new customers only) or FATHER16 (expires 19th June) during checkout. :thumbs:

• Thanks
Reactions: PunkNinja
Great set. @Noodles check out Buster Keaton and Harold Lloyd films as well. Together with Chaplin they are the Trinity of silent comedy films.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: Noodles
Couldn't see a thread for this, so thought I'd create one since it's such a nice looking set.

I ordered mine from SpeedyHen because it's the cheapest I could find it (£40.99), but you can also get 5% off by using the code NEWCUST16 (new customers only) or FATHER16 (expires 19th June) during checkout. :thumbs:

I pre-ordered this at Amazon when it was announced.

A great set at a fabulous price. Especially compared to the recent Plain Archive pair that were $60 plus postage - which for two films in amarays with narrow slips and a few bits of paper is pretty steep, no matter the eye candy.

Re: Speedyhen you really have to be very careful with them.
Only ever order through Amazon for safety, as if you order direct, their terms and conditions mean they take no responsibility for damage etc. (it's all in the very small print).

@PunkNinja You do Laurel & Hardy a great disservice :(

I pre-ordered this at Amazon when it was announced.

A great set at a fabulous price. Especially compared to the recent Plain Archive pair that were $60 plus postage - which for two films in amarays with narrow slips and a few bits of paper is pretty steep, no matter the eye candy.

Re: Speedyhen you really have to be very careful with them.
Only ever order through Amazon for safety, as if you order direct, their terms and conditions mean they take no responsibility for damage etc. (it's all in the very small print).

@PunkNinja You do Laurel & Hardy a great disservice :(
I agree that the prices are a little steep and I'd obviously love for them to cheaper, but you either pay the RRP now or double that on eBay a few days/weeks down the line. Thankfully I ended up loving both films anyway, so the cost was worth it for me. :)

Thanks for the warning... I hadn't noticed the small print. The box set is already on its way though, so hopefully it arrives ok! :ohno:

• Thanks
Reactions: JackRegan
Oh, I think they were better than that mate.

And the very fact they survived the silent era by a very good margin is probably an indicator of how truly great they were.
Acts or individuals who survived the silent era were very thin on the ground.
Comedy duo and trio has a big advantage cause they can play off each other. They don't need much props.
My fave comedy teams:
Abbott and Costello
The Three Stooges
Cheech and Chong
Laurel and Hardy
The Marx Brothers

• Thanks
Reactions: JackRegan
Comedy duo and trio has a big advantage cause they can play off each other. They don't need much props.
My fave comedy teams:
Abbott and Costello
The Three Stooges
Cheech and Chong
Laurel and Hardy
The Marx Brothers
I still need to check all those out! Saw some bits of L&H when I was a kid which I loved, but I've not seen anything from them since. Maybe I'll move on to them once my current Chaplin obsession has died down a bit. :p

• Thanks
My Chaplin collection just arrived... in perfect condition thankfully. It's a gorgeous set! Very happy to own it. :)

• Thanks
My fave comedy teams:
Abbott and Costello
The Three Stooges
Cheech and Chong
Laurel and Hardy
The Marx Brothers

Mmm Yes :)

You did miss two of the very VERY best though: Morecambe & Wise

Eric and Ern' were brilliant.

The final phrase on that should be "Eric Morecambe's shorts . . . . "

If you've seen,, you will have it indelibly stamped in your memory :)

Last edited: