The Collected Works of Hayao Miyazaki (Australia)

Mar 16, 2013
Tasmania
image.jpg
image.jpg

Release Date: 15/04/15
Price: $306 AUD
Purchase Link:
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv...collected-works-of-hayao-miyazaki-the/638076/

I hope this has Eng subtitles. I don't think the other ones do. But damn, $306? :dunno:
The UK and the Japanese boxset both have English subtitles. The extras and The Castle of Cagliostro is not subbed in the Japanese boxset though, but it does come with new and improved encodes of all the movies. It also doesn't include extras for the individual movies.

The UK boxset is still the way to go since it tried to replicate the Japanese packaging, but is also completely English-friendly. Unfortunately it's out of print.

Knowing Madman, and from the picture, this will just be a bunch of Amarays in a cardboard box rather than the individual digipacks in the faux leather box that UK and Japanese boxsets have. Such a shame since it costs around the same price. Madman are a terrible company and always charge the highest possible price for a product put together with the least effort possible. It's not like they don't make money from the Ghibli stuff either since for some reason they provide the encodes for the UK Blu-rays as well. I missed out on the UK boxset and was hoping this would be a good substitute, but I just set myself up for disappointment.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: WKRP
The UK and the Japanese boxset both have English subtitles. The extras and The Castle of Cagliostro is not subbed in the Japanese boxset though, but it does come with new and improved encodes of all the movies. It also doesn't include extras for the individual movies.

The UK boxset is still the way to go since it tried to replicate the Japanese packaging, but is also completely English-friendly. Unfortunately it's out of print.

Knowing Madman, and from the picture, this will just be a bunch of Amarays in a cardboard box rather than the individual digipacks in the faux leather box that UK and Japanese boxsets have. Such a shame since it costs around the same price. Madman are a terrible company and always charge the highest possible price for a product put together with the least effort possible. It's not like they don't make money from the Ghibli stuff either since for some reason they provide the encodes for the UK Blu-rays as well. I missed out on the UK boxset and was hoping this would be a good substitute, but I just set myself up for disappointment.
My mistake, I must've been thinking about the Germany 10-movie collection without the Eng subs. :facepalm:
According to the Bluray website, JP edition does have Eng subs for Castle of Cagliostro. Is that wrong then?
And how better is the new transfer compared to the UK version? You said UK tried to replicate the JP packaging, are you saying it isn't as good as the JP packaging?

My mistake, I must've been thinking about the Germany 10-movie collection without the Eng subs. :facepalm:
According to the Bluray website, JP edition does have Eng subs for Castle of Cagliostro. Is that wrong then?
And how better is the new transfer compared to the UK version? You said UK tried to replicate the JP packaging, are you saying it isn't as good as the JP packaging?
Let me clarify. The individual releases are different to the ones included in the boxset. This is for both the Japanese and the UK boxsets. Both boxsets also remove all special features for the individual movies. In place of this, the Japanese boxset has two bonus discs, one containing some of Miyazaki's early works and the other his retirement press conference. The UK boxset has only one bonus disc and it is for the press conference. The reason the Japanese boxset removed the special features was to feature new and improved encodes (with the exception of The Castle of Cagliostro). They do look a lot better and Nausicaa looks completely different because they fixed the colour coding. Cagliostro also doesn't have English subtitles unlike the individual release. Now, I'm not sure if the UK boxset also has new encodes but you'd think they should look better since they also decided to get rid of the special features.

The Japanese, US and UK/Australia all use different encodes and transfers for these movies. I believe in general it goes Japanese - US - UK/Australia in terms of picture quality. However, the UK/Australian releases have the best English-friendly special features. Also, while the US discs have better PQ than the UK/Australian ones, they use English-language versions of the credits therefore changing the original image and some of them (maybe all) have dubtitles instead of proper subtitles for the Japanese audio. Although the Japanese releases might have the best PQ, none of the special features are English subtitled.

The UK boxset looks similar to the Japanese one, but is slightly different. The Japanese boxset has a faux-leather finish on the outer box, the individual digipacks use the original theatrical posters as the cover art, and the booklet is in hardcover. You can also grab a free copy of the On Your Mark short film on Blu-ray if you send in your proof of purchase for the Japanese boxset to Studio Ghibli. This was originally supposed to be included in the box, but one of the members of the band who performs the song in it got arrested for drugs and caused a big fuss leading Ghibli to pull it last minute. This is the only way to get a copy of this on Blu-ray thus making the box complete. There is no similar redemption for the UK boxset.

Now that I've read the description properly, it looks like Madman did something right for once and are including all the material from the Japanese bonus discs as well. I'm not sure if they'll remove the special features from the individual movies (I doubt it) so the better bonus disc and the packaging will be what sets the Australian boxset apart from the UK one.

Finally, Discotek are releasing Cagliostro on Blu-ray in the States later this year and that looks like to be the English-friendly release of the movie to get.

Let me clarify. The individual releases are different to the ones included in the boxset. This is for both the Japanese and the UK boxsets. Both boxsets also remove all special features for the individual movies. In place of this, the Japanese boxset has two bonus discs, one containing some of Miyazaki's early works and the other his retirement press conference. The UK boxset has only one bonus disc and it is for the press conference. The reason the Japanese boxset removed the special features was to feature new and improved encodes (with the exception of The Castle of Cagliostro). They do look a lot better and Nausicaa looks completely different because they fixed the colour coding. Cagliostro also doesn't have English subtitles unlike the individual release. Now, I'm not sure if the UK boxset also has new encodes but you'd think they should look better since they also decided to get rid of the special features.

The Japanese, US and UK/Australia all use different encodes and transfers for these movies. I believe in general it goes Japanese - US - UK/Australia in terms of picture quality. However, the UK/Australian releases have the best English-friendly special features. Also, while the US discs have better PQ than the UK/Australian ones, they use English-language versions of the credits therefore changing the original image and some of them (maybe all) have dubtitles instead of proper subtitles for the Japanese audio. Although the Japanese releases might have the best PQ, none of the special features are English subtitled.

The UK boxset looks similar to the Japanese one, but is slightly different. The Japanese boxset has a faux-leather finish on the outer box, the individual digipacks use the original theatrical posters as the cover art, and the booklet is in hardcover. You can also grab a free copy of the On Your Mark short film on Blu-ray if you send in your proof of purchase for the Japanese boxset to Studio Ghibli. This was originally supposed to be included in the box, but one of the members of the band who performs the song in it got arrested for drugs and caused a big fuss leading Ghibli to pull it last minute. This is the only way to get a copy of this on Blu-ray thus making the box complete. There is no similar redemption for the UK boxset.

Now that I've read the description properly, it looks like Madman did something right for once and are including all the material from the Japanese bonus discs as well. I'm not sure if they'll remove the special features from the individual movies (I doubt it) so the better bonus disc and the packaging will be what sets the Australian boxset apart from the UK one.

Finally, Discotek are releasing Cagliostro on Blu-ray in the States later this year and that looks like to be the English-friendly release of the movie to get.
All right. Even though Castle of Cagliostro doesn't have Eng subs, it does have Eng dub right?
And dubtitle is actually a thing? :wow: Didn't know, thought you misspelled for a second...:LOL:

Also, US doesn't have a collective boxset like this yet, do they? They are all individual amarays.

All right. Even though Castle of Cagliostro doesn't have Eng subs, it does have Eng dub right?
And dubtitle is actually a thing? :wow: Didn't know, thought you misspelled for a second...:LOL:

Also, US doesn't have a collective boxset like this yet, do they? They are all individual amarays.

None of the Japanese Blu-rays of Cagliostro have the English dub.

The US doesn't have a boxset. Not sure if they'll release one since Disney doesn't seem to do boxsets.

And yes, dubtitles are a thing.

Reactions: AlienKing
None of the Japanese Blu-rays of Cagliostro have the English dub.

The US doesn't have a boxset. Not sure if they'll release one since Disney doesn't seem to do boxsets.

And yes, dubtitles are a thing.
What about the UK/AUS? Does any of them have the dubs?

so this is not so terrible choice to get ? as UK and German ones are sold out ?

so this is not so terrible choice to get ? as UK and German ones are sold out ?
I'm assuming Madman will just repackage the already existing discs and not make new ones without the special features like the UK boxset. If this is the case, PQ/AQ should be the same as the individual UK discs and it will have all the special features intact. Also, the biggest selling point is that this contains ALL the content from the Japanese bonus discs, not just the retirement press conference.

For contents, this is definitely a good choice. Packaging-wise it'll depend on what the final product looks like.

Reactions: nefilim