The Criterion Collection - The Official Blu-ray List & General discussion

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Per Criterion:

"ABOUT CRITERION

OUR MISSION

Since 1984, the Criterion Collection, a continuing series of important classic and contemporary films, has been dedicated to gathering the greatest films from around the world and publishing them in editions that offer the highest technical quality and award-winning, original supplements. Over the years, as we moved from laserdisc to DVD, Blu-ray disc, and online streaming, we’ve seen a lot of things change, but one thing has remained constant: our commitment to publishing the defining moments of cinema for a wider and wider audience. The foundation of the collection is the work of such masters of cinema as Renoir, Godard, Kurosawa, Cocteau, Fellini, Bergman, Tarkovsky, Hitchcock, Fuller, Lean, Kubrick, Lang, Sturges, Dreyer, Eisenstein, Ozu, Sirk, Buñuel, Powell and Pressburger. Each film is presented uncut, in its original aspect ratio, as its maker intended it to be seen. Every time we start work on a film, we track down the best available film elements in the world, use state-of-the-art telecine equipment and a select few colorists capable of meeting our rigorous standards, then take time during the film-to-video digital transfer to create the most pristine possible image and sound. Whenever possible, we work with directors and cinematographers to ensure that the look of our releases does justice to their intentions. Our supplements enable viewers to appreciate Criterion films in context, through audio commentaries by filmmakers and scholars, restored director’s cuts, deleted scenes, documentaries, shooting scripts, early shorts, and storyboards. To date, more than 150 filmmakers have made our library of Director Approved DVDs, Blu-ray discs, and laserdiscs the most significant archive of contemporary filmmaking available to the home viewer."

Attachments

• crit2.jpg
    crit2.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 502
Last edited:
I heard that Walter Hill's movie Streets of Fire is going to get the Criterion treatment. Has anyone else heard about this?

Hey Mod

Can we have a sticky thread for members here to trade or exchange their used or excess Criterion titles? Eg. I have excess copies of several titles which I would like to exchange with members for titles that I still do not have. A centralized thread for members to post what Criterion titles they have for exchange would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Awesome news to wake up to!!!

Let's hope they're the exactly same releases like in the US. The disc must be different since they're going to be Region B then...

giphy.gif

very excited about this news @dan8885 :thumbs::woot::cool: unfortunately I was until now searching for a code free player but NADA :( finally I can start with the Criterion :drool:

Reactions: dan8885
You have way more than me @nefilim! :thumbs: Great collection, brother! I think I'm at about 50, give or take....

BLU RAY:
image.jpeg

DVD:
image.jpeg

LASERDISC:
image.jpeg

*The DVD ones are usually beacuse they are not on blu ray.
The Vanishing I like because it has a better cover on the DVD version (swap discs), and Children of Paradise- I think the DVD transfer is better than the Blu-ray transfer. (They were two completely separate transfers).

Last edited:
@C.C. 95 I wish they would release that 'picnic at hanging rock' set in Uk too. Awesome film !
I'm a Peter Weir fan, and PAHR is a beauty! I really hope they do the Year of Living Dangerously. That is my favorite Peter Weir film. (Tied with Gallipoli!)
Now that they've announced that they'll be releasing Criterion collection in Europe – I'm not sure at what kind of a clip they will be releasing them, or in what order. Will they release the recent ones first and then move backwards?