The Criterion Collection - The Official Blu-ray List & General discussion

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Per Criterion:

"ABOUT CRITERION

OUR MISSION

Since 1984, the Criterion Collection, a continuing series of important classic and contemporary films, has been dedicated to gathering the greatest films from around the world and publishing them in editions that offer the highest technical quality and award-winning, original supplements. Over the years, as we moved from laserdisc to DVD, Blu-ray disc, and online streaming, we’ve seen a lot of things change, but one thing has remained constant: our commitment to publishing the defining moments of cinema for a wider and wider audience. The foundation of the collection is the work of such masters of cinema as Renoir, Godard, Kurosawa, Cocteau, Fellini, Bergman, Tarkovsky, Hitchcock, Fuller, Lean, Kubrick, Lang, Sturges, Dreyer, Eisenstein, Ozu, Sirk, Buñuel, Powell and Pressburger. Each film is presented uncut, in its original aspect ratio, as its maker intended it to be seen. Every time we start work on a film, we track down the best available film elements in the world, use state-of-the-art telecine equipment and a select few colorists capable of meeting our rigorous standards, then take time during the film-to-video digital transfer to create the most pristine possible image and sound. Whenever possible, we work with directors and cinematographers to ensure that the look of our releases does justice to their intentions. Our supplements enable viewers to appreciate Criterion films in context, through audio commentaries by filmmakers and scholars, restored director’s cuts, deleted scenes, documentaries, shooting scripts, early shorts, and storyboards. To date, more than 150 filmmakers have made our library of Director Approved DVDs, Blu-ray discs, and laserdiscs the most significant archive of contemporary filmmaking available to the home viewer."

Attachments

• crit2.jpg
    crit2.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 501
Last edited:
Criterion lost a lost of their rights in the mid 90's by some seriously bad commentaries on two of the Bond films which caused legal problems for 2 years and nearly killed dead their original pressing for Robocop. Again it's going to be an expensive buy because I don't see Criterion (judging by Zavvi or Amazon) giving the UK market lower pricing.

Not lower pricing but there will be sales and I don't need to pay custom tax. For now, when Amazon.com for example got a sale and they go for 21 USD. I pay 6-7 USD shipping just for one Keep Case. Then it's 27 USD plus 19 % tax = 32 USD ......

Did you pick up any of the titles that had the pressing problem like Walkabout or Stagecoach?

I picked up Walkabout at eBay some weeks ago but didn't watched it till now. I don't know about a pressing problem?

Yes but If Criterion would say place their prices at the £20 I would be happy or £15 but nearly £30 for a lot of titles that can be found cheaper elsewhere by other companies. Why would I want to pay £30 for say Gilda when I can get the exact same disc from Italy for £7. Ok it won't have the extras that a Criterion disc has but it'll be the same print! A Night To Remember?. ITV studio UK version £5. The Criterion one nearly £30 but the time you import it..... Na......

Yes but If Criterion would say place their prices at the £20 I would be happy or £15 but nearly £30 for a lot of titles that can be found cheaper elsewhere by other companies. Why would I want to pay £30 for say Gilda when I can get the exact same disc from Italy for £7. Ok it won't have the extras that a Criterion disc has but it'll be the same print! A Night To Remember?. ITV studio UK version £5. The Criterion one nearly £30 but the time you import it..... Na......

They're loaded with extras what I really love and whats most of the time alone worth the money. They get a beautiful new artwork and/or Full Slip/Boxset. And when I watch videos like the one about the restoration of the Apu Trilogy I know for what I pay the money. And I love the continuity on the shelf :) And they was first, they come from Laserdisc. I respect that and I don't feel like they steal anything from me. I don't pay 40 USD for a Keep Case but 20-25 USD is okay for me.

These other companies are not releasing the same product.

Disagree. Most of the extras I would never bother with and It's only the film restored I'm interested in. it's rare i would look at the extras of any video label never mind Criterion. The film is enough for me. Loved Arrows "Long Good Friday" but didn't bother with any extra. Same with "The Night to Remember. Picked up the Criterion one but didn't bother with any of the extras.

These other companies are not releasing the same product.

Most other labels like Arrow manage to release a lot of rare titles restored without charging the fans silly money and when they do charge "silly money", you can be assured it really is something special. Criterion titles are dear regardless of the title. There is simply no such thing as a cheap Criterion release.

I want back through my collection and dug out my Criterion CAV laserdisc for 2001. I purchased it back in 1989 for a whopping $120. That was typical in them days. How times have changed.........

@nefilim I forgot I JUST got these yesterday! (Criterion had a 50% off flash sale 2 weeks ago).
The best way to take advantage of the sales is to get the more expensive fare (like that Jacques Tati set you have).
The Hitchcock Box is sweet! I was always going to get Mr. Lawrence, but I decided now was a good time to get it to honor David Bowie. (And plus it has a song at the end by David Sylvian and Ryuichi Sakamoto!)
image.jpeg

Reactions: dan8885
@nefilim I forgot I JUST got these yesterday! (Criterion had a 50% off flash sale 2 weeks ago).
The best way to take advantage of the sales is to get the more expensive fare (like that Jacques Tati set you have).
The Hitchcock Box is sweet! I was always going to get Mr. Lawrence, but I decided now was a good time to get it to honor David Bowie. (And plus it has a song at the end by David Sylvian and Ryuichi Sakamoto!)
View attachment 226834

Mr. Lawrence is awesome film. I have studiocanal edition with slipcover.

819cIWNxK1L._SX342_.jpg

Reactions: C.C. 95
Just picked up my first UK Criterions from HMV's 2 for £25 offer.

That's awesome mate! Congrats! I love them to death.
And great choices. I heard Speedy got an awesome remaster. The picture must be super awesome!

I received today my order from the 50 % B&N off sale. I ordered only the Del Toro Boxset. And to my surprise it arrived very fast this time and super mint since it was shipped alone in a tight thick cardboard mailer.
Good times :)

11.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles