paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: July 5, 2021
Purchase links: Zavvi - Amazon UK - HMV
Price: £27.99 (Zavvi) - £24.99 (Amazon - HMV)
Notes: No longer a Zavvi exclusive

Front.jpg

Open.jpg Inside.jpg

Last edited:
I actually watched this movie for the first time last night and **** me it bored me to tears.
Legend of a film. Born in a different era I guess. To be fair, it's definitely a 70s esthetic but it's got more to offer than say...The French Connection, which bores me to tears. I think it's probably contingent on when you watched the film. My Dad was a movie fan, he fed me films from the 40s, 50s, 60s, and 70s before I was even 10.

That's probably why I struggle with most of today's films and I'm born in the 80s

I mean I don't mind slow paced movies, and I don't mind older movies. But I was just bored senseless watching this.
Check my edited post

I get it.

It's when you're exposed to these films. That's how I see it.

For example

The Conversation
Francis Ford Coppola

My dad and I watched it when i was 15 (I'm 43)
I was blown away.
That film is so underrated, under watched. He filmed it after the Godfathers and before Apocalypse Now, yet I rate it as one of his greatest films, if not one of best films ever made. A masterpiece. Barely anyone has heard of it.

It's brilliant. But it has that slow 70s feel to it.
Unfortunately, like The Deer Hunter, like The French Connection, like Dog Day Afternoon, like Manhattan, like Michael Mann's Thief (an incredible film, much underappreciated) there are so many.

It's probably why I can't bare most modern popcorn films. It's just the way I was brought up watching movies.
Story, nuance, acting.

Last edited:
Check my edited post

I get it.

It's when you're exposed to these films. That's how I see it.

For example

The Conversation
Francis Ford Coppola

My dad and I watched it when i was 15 (I'm 43)
I was blown away.
That film is so underrated, under watched. He filmed it after the Godfathers and before Apocalypse Now, yet I rate it as one of his greatest films, if not one of best films ever made. A masterpiece. Barely anyone has heard of it.

It's brilliant. But it has that slow 70s feel to it.
Unfortunately, like The Deer Hunter, like The French Connection, like Dog Day Afternoon, like Manhattan, like Michael Mann's Thief (an incredible film, much underappreciated) there are so many.

It's probably why I can't bare most modern popcorn films. It's just the way I was brought up watching movies.
Story, nuance, acting.
The Conversation absolutely destroyed me first time i watched it, phenomenal film. i felt like Hackman's character by the end credits. :blackeye: :confused: but in a good way. :thumbs:

i like both it and The French Connection - and the amazing Sorceror - for differennt reasons, but i like that '70s approach: measured, no clunky exposition, no on screen explanations, work it out yourself with all the clues deliberately given, pay attention and keep up. :)

• Friendly
Reactions: TheWildEye
I mean I don't mind slow paced movies, and I don't mind older movies. But I was just bored senseless watching this.
That's why I never wanted to watch it, guess I was right.
Most of my grades on Letterboxd are 3.5 to 5 stars, because I choose well, I know my own (crappy) taste, and select accordingly (I'd like to believe).
Dog Day Afternoon is a bit slow at first, and sounds like an old radio show (like everyones under a pillow), but I did like it and it's a powerful movie, and I don't usually watch anything older than 1981.
Thief is great too, and exploring/collecting Gene Hackman filmography these past couple of years I bought both The Conversation and The French Connection (as they previously weren't 'allowed' per the '1981 rule' :spoil: ), and would like to watch them soon!