The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim

mobius387

beer snob
Premium Supporter
Feb 16, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (also referenced as Skyrim) is a role-playing video game developed by Bethesda Game Studios and published by Bethesda Softworks. It is the fifth installment in The Elder Scrolls action role-playing video game series, following The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. It is scheduled to be released on November 11, 2011 for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Skyrim is set two-hundred years after the events of Oblivion in the eponymous land of Skyrim. The country has erupted into civil war after the assassination of its King. Concurrently, the god Alduin, which takes the form of a massive dragon, arises to destroy the world. The player character is the last living Dovahkiin (Dragonborn), and must fend off Alduin and save Skyrim from certain destruction.

images

Elder-Scrolls-5-Skyrim-Waterfall.jpg

Elder-Scrolls-5-Skyrim-Woman.jpg

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2qqnTNGhrtQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2qqnTNGhrtQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>​

Last edited by a moderator:
It's true: in two hours and change, Sam Bernstein, a member of Bethesda's QA team, managed to reach the end of the main campaign in Skyrim. Sam's time was 2:16:10, a mere 20 seconds faster than his competition, level designer Jeff Browne. The two are actually no stranger to the Bethesda speed run circuit, having participated in a similar event a few years ago in Fallout 3, in which Sam was also victorious.

So what does Sam win, aside from immortal glory on a video game blog? Well, he gets a pumpkin pie from Todd Howard and he also gets the trophy you see above. What's Dragon-speak for "winner?"

Why would anyone want to rush through it? lol Seems like you miss absolutely everything there is to explore by doing this specially if there's no money involved. :p

Getting day one patch.

For those of us currently slaying dragons in the frigid realm of Skyrim, pushing ever towards the review embargo this Thursday and launch thereafter, a game patch was spotted upon initial startup. Bethesda reps tell reviewers that the patch "fixes some minor stability and quest progression issues," and that it will be received automatically by players on day one.

If fixes to "minor stability and quest progression issues" don't get you excited, perhaps the prospect of "bigger and more substantial" downloadable content will, as teased by Bethesda creative lead Todd Howard earlier this week. "We're not going to do be doing a lot of it. Our high-level thinking is that there'll be not as many," he told Wired, before he explained the company's Fallout-esque approach to Skyrim's DLC. "We'll start hitting on everything after vacation," Howard added. Looks like we'll just have to busy ourselves with infinite dragons in the meantime. Darn.

[yt]fn0N294NFy0#![/yt]

The world of Skyrim video :)

Last edited:
Videogamer
Because we at VideoGamer.com care about our audience, we'd like to offer anyone planning to play Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim a couple of pieces of advice. First off, if you have any long term commitments like say, a job or friends or a significant other, we suggest you ring them to make your excuses now - you don't want to get sacked or dumped over a video game, and letting your friends think you've died or been kidnapped due to lack of communication is just plain rude. Furthermore, it might be worth making sure that your gas and electricity bills have been paid, and that you have enough provisions to last you until spring. You're going to need time for Skyrim and lots of it.

RPGamer
Those who have played Oblivion, or either of the most recent Fallout games, will be right at home with the console controls here. It follows the same first-person perspective of those titles while again presenting an optional third-person viewpoint. Players attack, jump, or cast all in real time via a rather simple interface that allows for a lot of diversity in play styles. There are times when the first-person perspective makes combat a bit chaotic, especially during fights in crowded areas or tight spaces. Also, aiming can be inaccurate for those not used to first-person style gameplay, but battle is never unmanageable.

Game Informer
All of Bethesda's releases this generation have given me that "I'm not in Kansas anymore" feeling once the open world is revealed, but not to the degree that Skyrim does. This world has that Rapture or Arkham Asylum allure, and is as much of a star of this adventure as any of the characters, dragons, or gameplay. While Skyrim's landscape doesn't have the fantastical elements of the aforementioned places, excitement and a true sense of discovery are tied to the secrets hidden within. I climbed a mountain to find a long-forgotten tomb, crossed a frozen tundra in search of powerful masked adversaries linked to one of this world's greatest mysteries, and found myself riding my steed with haste toward a village under dragon attack. Much of the content the world offers is worth devoting time to, whether that leads to an enchanted sword or a settlement filled with side quests.

TeamXbox
The way you pick your character and the way you level up as you go has changed for the better, in my opinion. Gone are the needs to pick major skills and things of that nature. You pick your race, customize your appearance and you are good to go. Your race choice will determine some special attributes though, so it's not like every time you start you are the same person as everyone else. From there, you have a myriad of skills accessible from your menu, where you can track your progress in specific areas. A welcome feature from my perspective is the fact that you don't have to divvy up points in skills as you go. Typically speaking, using those skills is the way to improve them, however you can also receive training for them from characters that you meet throughout your time in Skyrim. One example of using a skill and improving it is with lock-picking. You don't just make progress in the lock-picking skill by successfully opening chests and doors; even failed attempts garner some advancement. This makes complete sense to me, as it is through failure as well as success that we can learn how to improve our techniques. You learn from your mistakes.

Joystiq
To keep the weapons and abilities you're focusing on top of mind and easily accessible, you can create a list of your favorites, accessible at any time with a single button press. It's convenient, but still not an elegant enough solution. If you, for example, want to alternately cast healing and fire spells as you attack with your right hand, you're going to spend a lot of time stopping the fight to swap between the two. A radial menu of favorites might have alleviated the problem, but the simple alphabetical list of spells, weapons and armor is a chore to dig through.

Speaking of chores: What should be thrilling fights in Skyrim are often weighed down by the same clunky melee system Oblivion suffered from. In fact, even the word "system" is pretty generous considering we're just talking about hammering on the right trigger. While Skyrim has expanded the series in almost every conceivable direction, its mindless melee still feels rooted in the past. Having a lightning bolt in your left hand helps, make no mistake, but it's no substitute for real variety in the swordplay.

Eurogamer
In weaving together the extraordinary craftsmanship evident in the music, storytelling, adventure and world design of Skyrim, Bethesda has created a very special game indeed - one that's likely to remain in the affections of gamers for many years to come.

It evokes a word that's overused in reviewing of all kinds: one that's best kept in the cellar in a plainly marked box and reserved only for the most special of occasions. For Skyrim though, I'd like to blow the dust off it, open up the lid, and enjoy a masterpiece with you.

Reviews are in!! :scat::oohyeah:

Diva got this yesterday. It looks really cool. I might have to play it when she's not on.

im only an hour and a half in, but so far its awesome. the leveling system is much better, and the fighting mechanics actually improved a lot from the last game imo.

its gonna be tough splitting my time between this game and mw3. oh yah, and theres that school thing, lol

Put in a ton of hours into this game, beautiful game.
Played it all Magic with the High Elf.

I started playing 2 handed with heavy armor, but now I use magic half the time. I'm starting to think I should have focused on the bow and magic only. Which of the destruction magic do you use most?

im a nord with one handed and block. it works really well and you can rank up blocking very quickly if you have a follower in your group.

im loving this game so far! i was going to play MW3 tonight but if no one signs on soon im gonna switch to this game :D

Here's a link to a very detailed map! It's 10MB but there's lots of details in it.

http://www.gamebanshee.com/skyrim/mapofskyrim/skyrimmappdf.zip

and you probably already got the patch on your game, but here are the changes:

UPDATE 1.2 NOTES (all platforms unless specified)

Improved occasional performance issues resulting from long term play (PlayStation 3)
Fixed issue where textures would not properly upgrade when installed to drive (Xbox 360)
Fixed crash on startup when audio is set to sample rate other than 44100Hz (PC)
Fixed issue where projectiles did not properly fade away
Fixed occasional issue where a guest would arrive to the player's wedding dead
Dragon corpses now clean up properly
Fixed rare issue where dragons would not attack
Fixed rare NPC sleeping animation bug
Fixed rare issue with dead corpses being cleared up prematurely
Skeleton Key will now work properly if player has no lockpicks in their inventory
Fixed rare issue with renaming enchanted weapons and armor
Fixed rare issue with dragons not properly giving souls after death
ESC button can now be used to exit menus (PC)
Fixed occasional mouse sensitivity issues (PC)
General functionality fixes related to remapping buttons and controls (PC)

The upate on the ps3 was 1.02 on my screen yest haha. But the game does feel less choppy now! Did my first daedric quest and was dissapointed LOL

off topic, but I like your name! lol

I'm at level 37, and the enemies are quite tough. I have a staff that generates a Daedra for 60 seconds; he has saved my life several times. He has a greatsword but no bow, so not helpful against dragons. I use the flaming lady (atronach) for dragons.

I'm at level 37, and the enemies are quite tough. I have a staff that generates a Daedra for 60 seconds; he has saved my life several times. He has a greatsword but no bow, so not helpful against dragons. I use the flaming lady (atronach) for dragons.

Haha thanks! Im only lvl 15 so far and raising dead werewolves is hilarious, they rip everything in sight! Im a orc 2 handed axe btw.

is that the sanguine rose staff? i have that too! :)

im level 33. pretty balanced between side missions and main quest. i bought my second house earlier this week in riften, took awhile to gain the street cred needed ;)