Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: The French Dispatch - In theaters July 24, 2020

Genre: Comedy, Romance, Drama

Director: Wes Anderson

Cast: Tilda Swinton, Timothée Chalamet, Frances McDormand, Bill Murray, Léa Seydoux, Mathieu Amalric, Benicio del Toro, Jeffrey Wright, Lois Smith, Saoirse Ronan, Henry Winkler, Adrien Brody, Owen Wilson, Willem Dafoe, Steve Park, Lyna Khoudri, Denis Ménochet, Bob Balaban, Kate Winslet, Alex Lawther, Vincent Lacoste, Benjamin Lavernhe, Vincent Macaigne, Félix Moati, Guillaume Gallienne, Cécile de France, Wallace Wolodarsky, Fisher Stevens, Griffin Dunne, Jason Schwartzman, Christoph Waltz, Elisabeth Moss

Release: 2020-07-24

Plot: A love letter to journalists set at an outpost of an American newspaper in post-war 20th-century Paris that centers on three storylines.

Awesome poster. Massive cast. More Wes Anderson. Trailer tomorrow. Can’t wait

Reactions: Noodles
anderson-exterior.jpg anderson-issueinprogress.jpg anderson-eic.jpg anderson-staff.jpg anderson-writers.jpg anderson-prisoner.jpg anderson-wright.jpg anderson-kiosk.jpg anderson-artdealer.jpg anderson-chalament.jpg

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes.

Just give him the Oscar for everything already

Reactions: Noodles
Looks Great!!!

Anyone find the shot at 1:33 seem very out of character for Wes Anderson. I wasn't expecting that.

Looks Great!!!

Anyone find the shot at 1:33 seem very out of character for Wes Anderson. I wasn't expecting that.

is it the camera revolving around the Table? If so it’s the exact thought I had

is it the camera revolving around the Table? If so it’s the exact thought I had

Yup thats it!
Reminds me more of Tarantino... or even Bay? haha
Anderson everything is usually that straight on style. I'm sure there are other cases where he has done something different but I can't think of them right now.

Yup thats it!
Reminds me more of Tarantino... or even Bay? haha
Anderson everything is usually that straight on style. I'm sure there are other cases where he has done something different but I can't think of them right now.

sorry I was walking home from the cinema earlier and was hard to check out the clip whilst walking but yeah, had a Tarantino/ reservoir dog’s vibe to it. Again thought the exact same. Odd

the main film where his stamp isn’t full Anderson is bottle rocket really. Rushmore in a way too, kind of middle ground. He didn’t go full Anderson until Zissou. But yeah I can’t think of many shots where he’s gone away from his norm since then.

weird you mention Tarantino though because certain still shots in his films reminds me of Tarantinos at times too. their staging are very similar at times aswell as attention to detail in the backgrounds. Both rich with detail, both have bursts of violence (obs Quentins are much more graphic haha), both have weird humour and both have soundtracks that make up a huge part of their films. Although their humour is different styles. Quentin is great at wordy dialogue whilst wes is great and snippy one liner/ subtle dialogue. Wes with dysfunctional families whilst Quentin is better with dysfunctional solo characters.

Last edited:
Cannot wait for this! Really hope it gets a steel release, or at least a Criterion... won't hold my breath though.

Reactions: Flloydo
Remember those static shots of cast members, done for trailers, or presented as characters within a movie? Well, if other Wes Anderson films were otherwise movies, albeit with a thoroughly artistic style, this one practically consists of such choreographed images. Barely a movie, more if a stage play, or pages of a moving comic book. It's not that I don't like it, it's just I didn't like it... much. Weakest of his films yet. Only the first of three stories is interesting enough.
Sadly, I think the master outmastered himself with too much of his own brand of mastery. Kind of like Paul Thomas Anderson with his Master. Not as excruciatingly painfully numb though.

Awesome poster. Massive cast. More Wes Anderson. Trailer tomorrow. Can’t wait
So massive, a third is not listed here, and half of them I don't even remember seeing... Probably need a second viewing.

Cannot wait for this! Really hope it gets a steel release, or at least a Criterion... won't hold my breath though.
Why not, every... single... one... of his movies got a Criterion release (unless I forgot 1).

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database