The Gamechangers (2015) - BBC TV movie

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
[CONTAINER][MOVIE1]Title: The Gamechangers (2015)

Tagline: The tale of one of the most controversial video games of all time.

Genre: [GENRE]Drama[/GENRE]

Director: [DIRECTOR]Owen Harris[/DIRECTOR]

Cast: [ACTOR]Daniel Radcliffe[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Bill Paxton[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Joe Dempsie[/ACTOR]

Release Date: [RELEASE][/RELEASE]

Runtime: [RUNTIME]90[/RUNTIME]

Plot: The tale of one of the most controversial video games of all time.[/MOVIE1][POSTER1] 1.jpg [/POSTER1][/CONTAINER]

I couldn't see a thread for this, and it's the first I've even heard about them making a film...

Daniel Radcliffe could be about to play the creator of one of the most controversial videogames ever made, with THR reporting that the star is in talks to head up a new film based upon the story behind Grand Theft Auto.

Radcliffe is apparently negotiating to play Sam Houser, the president and co-founder of Rockstar Games, creator of the aforementioned title. The film will focus upon the conflict between Rockstar and Florida attorney Jack Thompson, who famously campaigned against the violence depicted within the game.

Initially entitled Rockstar Games, the film has been penned by screenwriter James Wood and will be directed by Owen Harris. The latter is a veteran of a number of UK TV shoes, having worked on Misfits as well as the superlative Black Mirror episode Be Right Back, which starred Hayley Atwell and Domhnall Gleeson.

The role of Thompson has yet to be cast, but with cameras set to begin rolling on 20 April, expect an announcement to be made on that front sooner rather than later…

Last edited:
ROCKSTAR GAMES ISSUES BBC WITH LAWSUIT OVER GTA DRAMA

Player two has entered the game. And they're not very happy.

Earlier this year the BBC laid out plans to write a 90-minute feature-length drama about the inception and creation of Rockstar Games' Grand Theft Auto series.

The scale of the broadcasters ambitions gained some serious weight when it was announced that Daniel Radcliffe and Bill Paxton had been cast in lead roles - Radcliffe as Rockstar's co-founder Sam Houser and Paxton as anti-obscenity campaigner Jack Thompson, an American lawyer determined to find a link between violent crime and the game's players.

However, word comes from IGN that Rockstar Games isn't happy with how the BBC has gone about creating the one-off feature. The games developer, via parent company Take-Two Interactive, has filed a lawsuit against the broadcaster for trademark infringement.

Here's how the Rockstar statement reads:

"Take-Two Interactive has filed suit against the BBC for trademark infringement based on their movie currently titled ‘Game Changer’ as it relates to Rockstar Games’ Grand Theft Auto video game series.

"While holders of the trademarks referenced in the film title and its promotion, Rockstar Games has had no involvement with this project. Our goal is to ensure that our trademarks are not misused in the BBC's pursuit of an unofficial depiction of purported events related to Rockstar Games. We have attempted multiple times to resolve this matter with the BBC without any meaningful resolution. It is our obligation to protect our intellectual property and unfortunately in this case litigation was necessary."

Currently slated for broadcast later this year, there's currently no word from the BBC as to whether the lawsuit will disrupt Game Changer, which started filming in April. Given that the BBC have so far only offered a response to say they don't "make comments on legal matters", we can't imagine we'll be hearing from them any time soon.

Here's hoping they settle manners in a professional, timely fashion. Or with a point-to-point race on GTA V, whichever seems fairer.

SOURCE

Really? We're doing The Social Network thing with Grand Theft Auto now? I'd rather see the creation of Nintendo or something... or the battle between Nintendo and Sony with the original PlayStation... this is (in my opinion) dumb.

Reactions: digitalbabe
Really? We're doing The Social Network thing with Grand Theft Auto now? I'd rather see the creation of Nintendo or something... or the battle between Nintendo and Sony with the original PlayStation... this is (in my opinion) dumb.
As I've learned to do with most films now... I'll save judgement until I've actually seen it. I originally thought the idea for The Social Network sounded crap, then I watched it and it's now one of my favourite films. I've seen plenty of documentaries on Nintendo/PlayStation and those stories just don't interest me as much any more. Rockstar Games are one of my favourite game developers and GTA one of my favourite franchises, so I'm definitely interested in seeing how this turns out (if it's still happening at all, that is).

See an advert for this yesterday looks ok and can't believe it's going to be on TV, Radcliffe and Paxton too!
I'm surprised they signed up for it to be honest lol. I'm glad they did though... looks pretty good for a TV movie.

I'm surprised they signed up for it to be honest lol. I'm glad they did though... looks pretty good for a TV movie.

My first thought was because of the way U.S. TV shows have gone. Big actors doing mini series or big full 4/7 seasons.
It used to be a star got big from them but now big stars want to be in them. Hopefully the UK go through this more.
It's usually when an actor gets big in the UK during that process they come back for a last season or special (aren't benedict and freeman doing one last season or did one last of Sherlock?- they are huge now) and loads of other examples lol

My first thought was because of the way U.S. TV shows have gone. Big actors doing mini series or big full 4/7 seasons.
It used to be a star got big from them but now big stars want to be in them. Hopefully the UK go through this more.
It's usually when an actor gets big in the UK during that process they come back for a last season or special (aren't benedict and freeman doing one last season or did one last of Sherlock?- they are huge now) and loads of other examples lol
I hadn't thought of it that way, but I see exactly what you mean... it seems to happen more with US shows though I reckon (TV stars becoming huge movie stars - Chris Pratt for example). I'd definitely love to see more big named actors doing TV.

Hum... that's a teaser teaser I hope???
I believe it's the full "trailer". Not sure I'd personally call it a trailer myself though... more of just an advert IMO, which is usual for TV films/shows in the UK. It certainly doesn't give much away anyway.

Reactions: Flloydo
I liked the movie :p
I haven't got around to watching it yet, but from the comments I saw on Twitter most seem to think it was rubbish and the story is apparently very inaccurate. I'm still looking forward to checking it out though. :D

Reactions: luke98