Premium Supporter
Dec 28, 2012
Everywhere
4.00 star(s) Rating: 4.00/5 2 Votes
Title: The Greatest Beer Run Ever

Genre: Comedy, War, Drama

Director: Peter Farrelly

Cast: Zac Efron, Russell Crowe, Bill Murray

Plot: Tells true story of John “Chickie” Donohue, who left New York in 1967 for Vietnam to track down and share a few beers with his childhood friends, who were serving in the Army.

Apple Poised To Take ‘The Greatest Beer Run Ever’ With ‘Green Book’s Peter Farrelly & Skydance; Zac Efron & Russell Crowe To Star​

Zac-Efron-Russell-Crowe-Peter-Farrelly.jpg

Director Peter Farrelly finally is ready to follow his Best Picture Oscar winner Green Book. Apple Studios is in talks to finance The Greatest Beer Run Ever, with Zac Efron and Russell Crowe in talks to star and Bill Murray is being courted for a supporting role.

Since that victorious Oscar Night, Farrelly has had his sights set on this film, which he developed with Skydance. He co-wrote the script with Brian Currie and Pete Jones, based on the bestselling book The Greatest Beer Run Ever: A Memoir of Friendship, Loyalty and War by Chick Donahue and J.T. Molloy. The film will produced by Andrew Muscato and Skydance’s David Ellison, Dana Goldberg and Don Granger. I’m hearing that they are tying down the details but that the film will be made as an Apple Original Films title.

Beer Run tells Donohue’s story of leaving New York in 1967 to bring beer to his childhood buddies in the Army — while they are fighting in Vietnam. Donohue took a good idea to the extreme, hitching a ride on a Merchant Marine ship, then carrying the beer through the jungle as he tried to track down his three friends. Dressed in shorts and Hawaiian shirts, he was mistaken for CIA, which made his effort a bit easier. Finally, when he completed his beer run, the Tet Offensive happened. Efron will play Donohue. The hope is to start production in August, probably in New Zealand or Australia.

via Deadline

Ehh, so every one of them drank piss-warm beer?

Dumb and Dumber, Kingpin, There's Something About Mary, Me Myself & Irene...

Interesting to watch, but rather pointless as a whole in the end, kind of like the beer run itself, and that whole war.
There are a few interesting scenes throughout - the Saigon attacks, conversations with the reporters, main character slowly realizing his 'great American government' is not all that at all, and of course parallels with the current Russian war, and how blindly some citizens there perceive it, just like Americans did the Vietnam war.
Glad to see even a fat Russell Crowe, I miss him, and he needs to get better!

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database