VHS/Other The Laserdisc Collection/Discussion Thread

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
300px-LaserDisc.svg.png

Hi All,

If you ever collected these, or still do, feel free to chat here.

Have fun!

DB

I had a Laservision Philips player when they were first launched in the UK. I still remember the films I had in my "collection" - Airplane, Raise the Titanic, A Paul Simon Concert, and a compilation disc of various pop videos. For a short period I used to rent the discs by post.

I bought a player about a year ago just to play around with. I had never handled a laserdisc before and the only time I had seen one was in my high school biology class and my teacher had to tell the class what it was because no one knew. I had been reading about laserdisc, for whatever reason, and decided to buy one off of craigslist. Its even still in [post=168400]my setup[/post] and I actually use it every once in a while! Its kind of my little way of avoiding DVDs. lol. Plus the large cover art is always pretty cool.

I've never owned an LD player, but know a few folks who have since adopted Blu-Ray and other formats, but have 1000's of discs, several worth a ton of dough. Some titles have cuts and versions never released on any other formats, so it's pretty cool, especially for collectors. All part of the last remnants of the physical media format :scat:

I've never owned an LD player, but know a few folks who have since adopted Blu-Ray and other formats, but have 1000's of discs, several worth a ton of dough. Some titles have cuts and versions never released on any other formats, so it's pretty cool, especially for collectors. All part of the last remnants of the physical media format :scat:

Yeah I had actually been watching Star Wars on LD on ebay and the priced shot up like crazy when it came out on BD. This was when there was all the news about how the films change so much from the original in the rereleases and the LD versions were closest to the theatrical editions. The trilogy box sets went from $25-$40 depending on the edition to like $50 to close to $100!

Just got the Return of the Jedi laserdisc for Christmas, along with the Criterion laserdiscs for Citizen Kane (Criterion laserdisc spine number 1!) and Beauty & the Beast. Pushed me above fifty LDs in my collection. Beautiful but space-consuming!!

Just got the Return of the Jedi laserdisc for Christmas, along with the Criterion laserdiscs for Citizen Kane (Criterion laserdisc spine number 1!) and Beauty & the Beast. Pushed me above fifty LDs in my collection. Beautiful but space-consuming!!

Especially some of the box sets! I just bought The Godfather Trilogy 1901-1980 off ebay. That's the numbered set that's edited chronologically:scat:

I have 25 or so left of my laserdisc collection. I have the Star Wars box set. Its really nice. And a couple of LDs I haven't been able to replace on DVD or Blu-ray. Song Of The South and Looking For Mr. Goodbar!

Sent From The Bat Cave.

gotta get my collection uploaded

anyone know where to get a decent NTSC/PAL player int he UK for cheap since my player is broken :(