VHS/Other The Laserdisc Collection/Discussion Thread

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
300px-LaserDisc.svg.png

Hi All,

If you ever collected these, or still do, feel free to chat here.

Have fun!

DB

Just watched Winchester 73 laserdisc with the only running commentary James Stewart ever did on home video This was done in 1987 and makes it the earliest running commentary from a major star on home video. I don't think the commentary has ever been released on any other format.
The 2003 DVD has that interview/commentary - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005JLV5/?tag=hidefnin-20
And the 2019 Spanish blu-ray has that interview/commentary as well - https://www.amazon.es/dp/B07N3RNJ1V/?tag=hidefnin03-21

The Spanish blu-ray I suspect is a forgery like most Spanish Titles. At the minute the only legal copy of Winchester 73 on the market is the German blu-ray which only came out a few months ago.

The Spanish blu-ray I suspect is a forgery like most Spanish Titles. At the minute the only legal copy of Winchester 73 on the market is the German blu-ray which only came out a few months ago.
Please elaborate! Is this an epidemic with Spanish blu rays? (Like the back-alley German 3D Blu rays (for movies that were never 3D))?

Please elaborate! Is this an epidemic with Spanish blu rays? (Like the back-alley German 3D Blu rays (for movies that were never 3D))?

Here is a link to a series of articles that show the rise of the bootleggers on amazon. Spain is among the worst offenders.
There is a series of 4 articles but 2 should be of interest. 100% guarantee you that Universal Winchester 73 on amazon spain is a Pirate copy and probably sourced from the DVD you were talking about.

• Informative
Reactions: C.C. 95
Here is a link to a series of articles that show the rise of the bootleggers on amazon. Spain is among the worst offenders.
There is a series of 4 articles but 2 should be of interest. 100% guarantee you that Universal Winchester 73 on amazon spain is a Pirate copy and probably sourced from the DVD you were talking about.

It has terrible reviews on Amazon Spain - people saying that it looks worse than the DVD and nothing like the quality of a Blu ray.

I have a few Spanish blus that I bought from amazon.es and they're all legit.

I stopped buying from Spanish amazon 8 years ago because nearly 90% of titles I was purchasing were pirate copies and most of the time they didn't even try to hide it..... I actually emailed customer service at the time because it was so bad. Their response was dire. They really didn't care and just said they would refund me my money. Ask yourself a serious question. The German blu-ray pressing of Winchester 73 looks amazing on my Sony OLED. It has both German and English language and subtitles. Now ask yourself why i the reviews of the Spanish pressing are poor. Simple it's a pirate copy from an inferior source. Also ask yourself another question. Despite most of these pirate titles being available on amazon spain, they have never been pulled. You can still purchase them....
Don't get me wrong other amazon sites have sold pirated blu-rays. The most famous example being the infamous was it season 6 of Nu-Who a few years back in America.
Buyer beware is always my motto when purchasing from European sites.

I stopped buying from Spanish amazon 8 years ago because nearly 90% of titles I was purchasing were pirate copies and most of the time they didn't even try to hide it..... I actually emailed customer service at the time because it was so bad. Their response was dire. They really didn't care and just said they would refund me my money. Ask yourself a serious question. The German blu-ray pressing of Winchester 73 looks amazing on my Sony OLED. It has both German and English language and subtitles. Now ask yourself why i the reviews of the Spanish pressing are poor. Simple it's a pirate copy from an inferior source. Also ask yourself another question. Despite most of these pirate titles being available on amazon spain, they have never been pulled. You can still purchase them....
Don't get me wrong other amazon sites have sold pirated blu-rays. The most famous example being the infamous was it season 6 of Nu-Who a few years back in America.
Buyer beware is always my motto when purchasing from European sites.
I guess just to be on the safe side if I'm gonna buy Winchester 73 for the Stewart interview/commentary, I'll buy the 2003 DVD or wait.

I guess just to be on the safe side if I'm gonna buy Winchester 73 for the Stewart interview/commentary, I'll buy the 2003 DVD or wait.

As I said I have the laserdisc for the commentary but I purchased the blu-ray from Germany. Why don't you buy the German blu-ray just to enjoy the superior picture. If you have the DVD with commentary you don't need to buy the commentary again? According to the laserdisc the commentary was recorded using the Sony PCM 1610 digital system so I don't know if it would sound any better on a blu-ray pressing.

As I said I have the laserdisc for the commentary but I purchased the blu-ray from Germany. Why don't you buy the German blu-ray just to enjoy the superior picture. If you have the DVD with commentary you don't need to buy the commentary again? According to the laserdisc the commentary was recorded using the Sony PCM 1610 digital system so I don't know if it would sound any better on a blu-ray pressing.
I'm just saying if I'm gonna buy a copy of Winchester 73 for the Stewart interview/commentary. I'll go for the 2003 DVD.
If someone doesn't care about that extra feature then go for a better image quality.
Or wait till they release it in HD with the Stewart interview/commentary.