Horror-Theatrical The Last of Us - In theaters TBA

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
[CONTAINER][MOVIE1]Title: The Last of Us ()

Tagline: Could You Be...The Last of Us?

Genre: [GENRE]Thriller[/GENRE], [GENRE]Action[/GENRE], [GENRE]Adventure[/GENRE], [GENRE]Drama[/GENRE], [GENRE]Horror[/GENRE], [GENRE]Science Fiction[/GENRE]

Director: [DIRECTOR][/DIRECTOR]

Cast: [ACTOR][/ACTOR]

Release Date: [RELEASE][/RELEASE]

Runtime: [RUNTIME]0[/RUNTIME]

Plot: Joel and Ellie, a pair connected through the harshness of the world they live in, are forced to endure brutal circumstances and ruthless killers on a trek across post-pandemic America.[/MOVIE1][POSTER1]
nl9wpOKQa3I4vQJYxsc3dFu4b9b.jpg
[/POSTER1][/CONTAINER]

Deadline broke the news of this deal. Here’s a quote from Screen Gems president Clint Culpepper:

Screen Gems’ Brian Dukes and Eric Ling brought this game to my attention insisting we go after it and when I saw the quality of the storytelling, I knew the audience for this project was far greater than just the gaming community and that Neil Druckmann must write the screenplay. I am thrilled that SCEA’s Riley Russell was able to get me in front of Neil and Evan Wells to plead my case. Sam and his team at Ghost House round out the perfect team to help realize Neil’s vision.

More info:
Screen Gems will distribute the live action film The Last of Us based on the critically-acclaimed PlayStation 3 exclusive video game, developed by Naughty Dog. Neil Druckmann, the Creative Director for the game, will also write the script for the film. On behalf of Naughty Dog, the project will be produced by Co-Presidents' Evan Wells and Christophe Balestra, as well as Creative Director Neil Druckmann and Game Director Bruce Straley, along with Sam Raimi via their Ghost House Pictures banner.

Clint Culpepper, Screen Gems' President, stated, "Screen Gems' Brian Dukes and Eric Ling brought this game to my attention insisting we go after it. When I saw the quality of the storytelling, I knew the audience for this project was far greater than just the gaming community and that Neil Druckmann must write the screenplay. I am thrilled that SCEA's Riley Russell was able to get me in front of Neil and Evan Wells to plead my case. And Sam and his team at Ghost House round out the perfect team to help realize Neil’s vision."

"Our partnership with Sam Raimi, Ghost House Pictures, and Screen Gems to develop a film based on 'The Last of Us' universe is a perfect fit," said Evan Wells, Naughty Dog's Co-President. "Since our game released last June, we've talked with many companies about making a film, but we couldn't have found better partners who share our creative vision and high standards. We look forward to collaborating with Sam, his team, and Screen Gems, to make a movie that will thrill fans of 'The Last of Us' and general audiences worldwide."

The rich and visceral story of The Last of Us, which was released in June of 2013, follows hardened survivor, Joel, and Ellie, a young and capable girl, on their journey through a radically transformed world. Set twenty years after an infectious pandemic spread by the cordyceps virus ravaged the course of humanity, these two people, who were brought together by chance, must make life-altering decisions in order to survive. The Last of Us explores themes of survival, loyalty, love, and redemption in an emotionally charged expedition across a post-epidemic United States.

The Last of Us has received worldwide recognition for its innovation in storytelling and gameplay, garnering over 200 global Game of the Year awards from notable outlets. The post-apocalyptic video game also took home 10 wins at this year's Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences D.I.C.E. Awards – including Game of the Year, Outstanding Innovation in Gaming and Character Performance. Additionally, The Last of Us also won a Writers Guild of America award for "Outstanding Achievement in Writing for Video Games" and leads nominations for the British Academy of Film and Television Video Game (BAFTA) Awards with 10.

In addition to The Last of Us, Naughty Dog recently released their first-ever story expansion, The Last of US: Left Behind, a prologue to the game's single player campaign available exclusively for the PS3.

Last edited:
It FINALY sunk in with Jas what me and Rich had been banging on about with the internet . So well scripted and acted to make a teenager stop and think . Then agree with its perants thats an amazing feat that Noodles .
Sounds like I definitely need to give it a watch then! Thanks Ann. :thumbs:

Reactions: Scary Hair
Same man... easily one of the best stories I've ever played in a game. I like Maisie, but I haven't seen her in anything other than GoT to properly judge how good she actually is. I hear there's still movement on the Uncharted film though... not getting my hopes up for that one.

Haha no doubt. We'll also probably have a third Hitman reboot to look forward to then as well. :LOL:

I hadn't played many games in a few years when that was out and a mate leant it to me and I couldn't turn it off. Loved it

Oh cool about uncharted, one of the first games I had when I first bought a PS3 and then I was a big fan of the others that followed. Like the last of us it had very cinematic moments, levels and cut scenes.

@Scary Hair I rememeber when that was on and like noodles I also see the adverts but forgot to watch it. Looked interesting though, my mum enjoyed it
Love Maisie in thrones. She's solid (character and strength lol)

Best coupling of the show was her and the hound. Too many great quotes from both of them (especially the episode in that food place and the use of the C word)

I hadn't played many games in a few years when that was out and a mate leant it to me and I couldn't turn it off. Loved it

Oh cool about uncharted, one of the first games I had when I first bought a PS3 and then I was a big fan of the others that followed. Like the last of us it had very cinematic moments, levels and cut scenes.

@Scary Hair I rememeber when that was on and like noodles I also see the adverts but forgot to watch it. Looked interesting though, my mum enjoyed it
Love Maisie in thrones. She's solid (character and strength lol)

Best coupling of the show was her and the hound. Too many great quotes from both of them (especially the episode in that food place and the use of the C word)
I'd been falling out of love with gaming for a while, because the storytelling aspect of it was kind of boring for the most part, but then The Last of Us came out and it reignited my love for it all... thank God it did too, because some amazing games have followed since! I never did play the very first Uncharted (don't ask me why), but 2 and 3 I loved, and I can't wait for 4.

@Scary Hair I did a quick Google search for Cyberbully and saw that it's still available to watch on Channel 4's site (here), so I ended up watching it there and then. I wasn't convinced at first, because it started off like some sort of cheesy teen drama with all the lingo they were using, but once it got going it became very gripping! I did find the outcome a bit unrealistic though, as I think there's a very slim chance anyone would go to those efforts to stalk and torment a "cyber bully", especially as I found her bullying to be rather mild compared to what most bullies actually do/say nowadays. Still, it was a decent watch overall and I appreciate the message it was trying to give to the viewers.

@ noodles .

GLAD you liked it .

Thats the strange thing . It is the small things that eat and chew them up inside . They can not and will not switch off and walk away like what we do as adults .

CRAZY World we live in . Not in a good way .

@Scary Hair @Noodles
Slightly off topic to the thread but more to do with the cyber bully chat.
Did you just watch that one off on ch4 at 9pm (or 10 on +1) called "the people next door"?

Thought it was great.
It's About a couple who move in a house, the lady is pregnant with their first child and they start getting worried about how their neighbours are treating their children next door and hearing strange noises plus they have a odd encounter with a young boy who comes in their home so the pregnant lady begins to think the people next door are abusing their kids and begins to film it and obviously goes too far.

Was an hour long and made like found footage (which is my weakness) and was made really well.

I recommend it, it's prob gone straight on to All 4 (on demand)

@Scary Hair @Noodles
Slightly off topic to the thread but more to do with the cyber bully chat.
Did you just watch that one off on ch4 at 9pm (or 10 on +1) called "the people next door"?

Thought it was great.
It's About a couple who move in a house, the lady is pregnant with their first child and they start getting worried about how their neighbours are treating their children next door and hearing strange noises plus they have a odd encounter with a young boy who comes in their home so the pregnant lady begins to think the people next door are abusing their kids and begins to film it and obviously goes too far.

Was an hour long and made like found footage (which is my weakness) and was made really well.

I recommend it, it's prob gone straight on to All 4 (on demand)
When I was searching for Cyberbully and tried to load it on the C4 website, it actually loaded The People Next Door instead. I thought it sounded pretty interesting, but was there to watch Cyberbully, so continued with that instead. Will definitely check it out now though if you recommend it... it sounds good! :)

Sam Raimi gave an update on the movie through a recent IGN interview...

"Well, unfortunately that one -- when we went to Neil with Ghost House Pictures we were hoping to get the rights like we do any project and then we'd take it out and sell it but we'd control the rights. With this one he went to Sony -- who I have a very good relationship with -- but they have their own plans for it and I think Neil's plan for it -- I'm not trying to be political -- Neil's plan for it is not the same as Sony's. And because my company doesn't have the rights, I actually can't help him too much. Even though I'm one of the producers on it the way he set it up, he sold his rights to Sony, Sony hired me as a producer by chance, and I can't get the rights free for him so I'm not in the driver's seat and I can't tell you what Sony and Neil together will decide on. If they do move forward I'd love to help them again."

When I pressed if Raimi was still attached to help produce the Last of Us movie, he replied, "Yes, I'm attached to it. I'm not too sure what that means. Right now it's just sitting there. They don't want to move forward, and it's not my place to say why, and Neil, I think, is in a slight disagreement with them about how things should go so there's a standstill. And I don't have the power to move it."

• Thanks
  • Helpful Post
Reactions: lolwut and tridon
Sam Raimi gave an update on the movie through a recent IGN interview...

"Well, unfortunately that one -- when we went to Neil with Ghost House Pictures we were hoping to get the rights like we do any project and then we'd take it out and sell it but we'd control the rights. With this one he went to Sony -- who I have a very good relationship with -- but they have their own plans for it and I think Neil's plan for it -- I'm not trying to be political -- Neil's plan for it is not the same as Sony's. And because my company doesn't have the rights, I actually can't help him too much. Even though I'm one of the producers on it the way he set it up, he sold his rights to Sony, Sony hired me as a producer by chance, and I can't get the rights free for him so I'm not in the driver's seat and I can't tell you what Sony and Neil together will decide on. If they do move forward I'd love to help them again."

When I pressed if Raimi was still attached to help produce the Last of Us movie, he replied, "Yes, I'm attached to it. I'm not too sure what that means. Right now it's just sitting there. They don't want to move forward, and it's not my place to say why, and Neil, I think, is in a slight disagreement with them about how things should go so there's a standstill. And I don't have the power to move it."

I saw this coming from a mile away. Neil's very passionate about this project and Sony's film side is a completely different beast from their PlayStation side. Other than lending Spider-Man to Marvel Studios, Sony's film studio really hasn't made any good decisions lately.

• Thanks
Reactions: lolwut and Noodles
I saw this coming from a mile away. Neil's very passionate about this project and Sony's film side is a completely different beast from their PlayStation side. Other than lending Spider-Man to Marvel Studios, Sony's film studio really hasn't made any good decisions lately.
Agreed! At this point I'm hoping the film doesn't happen... if it isn't Neil's original vision, then it's not The Last of Us. Good on him for not giving in to the Sony bigwigs who think they know better.

• Thanks
Reactions: lolwut and tridon
Agreed! At this point I'm hoping the film doesn't happen... if it isn't Neil's original vision, then it's not The Last of Us. Good on him for not giving in to the Sony bigwigs who think they know better.

Yeah, I'm very happy that he's holding on to it. Too bad Amy Hennig was never able to hold on to Uncharted. I'm sure that film will get made and it'll be a trainwreck.

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
Yeah, I'm very happy that he's holding on to it. Too bad Amy Hennig was never able to hold on to Uncharted. I'm sure that film will get made and it'll be a trainwreck.
Aha probably! How has Hollywood not yet realised that films based on videogames are cursed? The only one I have any hope for is Assassin's Creed, but even then I have a bad feeling about it... I mean I am looking forward to it, but at the same time I'm prepared to be massively underwhelmed.

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon
Aha probably! How has Hollywood not yet realised that films based on videogames are cursed? The only one I have any hope for is Assassin's Creed, but even then I have a bad feeling about it... I mean I am looking forward to it, but at the same time I'm prepared to be massively underwhelmed.

At least Tetris: The Movie is on its way. That'll end the curse. :LOL:

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles