The Lion King (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

snooloui

The 'Negative' Ninja
Premium Supporter
Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: December 3, 2018 (First Release) - November 18, 2019 (Second Release)
Purchase link: Zavvi (A restock of this steelbook will be available to order on Saturday 14th September 2019 6pm UK time)
Price: £27.99

TLK.jpg

TLK (inside).jpg

TLK (back).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What a load of shite! Cheap ass looking steel and way too expensive!

Yes I know it’s 4K, but are cartoons really that much better looking in 4K?

Don’t know as I don’t have a 4K TV and don’t plan to get one anytime soon either, but I would of thought cartoons don’t really look much better compared to their Blu Ray versions. It must be minimal surely?

Hmm, not too sure about the art, me thinks it’ll wind up looking like etched on bare metal. Gives me hope that there’ll be a standard 4K release though!

Really not feeling the art. Strange choice for the inside too. I like the illustration but it’s a strange choice

I don't care for the 4K but I am a in for anything that is lion king related so I'll definitely grab this :)

Last edited:
Another re-release

Awful artwork compared to previous ones...actually no, it just looks like it's been slapped dashed together.

The spine font being different, like a Microsoft Word font change.

Come on @zavvi you were doing so well with the new Disney releases, you couldn't have waited until the live action Lion King film was almost out or something. You still have a lot of unreleased Disney and Pixar steelbooks left to go, hell re-release ones with awful/boring WWA like Finding Dory, Inside Out, Monsters University, The Good Dinosaur, Zootopia, Coco, Moana etc

Thats a nice looking steel front, though the sketch stuff all over, with nice 'bossing would be perfect IMO... but doesnt matter either way as I'll stick with 3D (plus I'm now a long way off of upgrading my TV

At first sight seriously unappealing compared to previous LION KING UK steelbooks - reprising almost exactly the 'good lion/bad lion' pose of the recent Best Buy Signature Edition . . . only this time more obviously:-
1540254328688.png
1540254568496.png

Thankfully with this one no famously daft title treatment . . . in fact, appears to have no title treatment of any kind on the front making this as far as I remember only the second Zavvi Disney classic steelbook to be treated thus (after the drop dead gorgeousness of the original UK FROZEN steelbook) . . .
1540255845066.png
1540293196257.png

. . . but of course the title is bound to be on the front of the O-ring (just as it was w/ FROZEN).

Was not expecting this type of artwork for THE LION KING - what with all the talk of a continuation of the Tom Whalen Disney line . . . was hoping for Whalen artwork to keep THE INCREDIBLES company. . .
1540257399910.png
/
1540257330446.png
1540257979512.png

As for the sketches covering the outside of the steelbook: TBH would have preferred them covering the inside instead . . . even though they appear to be from the pen of the talented Disney artist Andreas Deja who was the Supervising Animator on this film as well as on a host of others:-
1540260342437.png

Finally, despite being a longtime fan of the works of M.C. Escher, not sorry they didn't use this art for the steelbook which - as with most if not all of Escher's trompe l'oeil works - once seen cannot be unseen:-
1540256698757.png

Last edited: