The Matrix (prequel) - In theaters TBA

tridon

Est. 2011
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
matrix07.jpg

From Hollywood Reporter:

More Matrix? Bet on it.

It’s still not clear what shape the project will take, but sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that Warner Bros. is in the early stages of developing a relaunch of The Matrix, the iconic 1999 sci-fi movie that is considered one of the most original films in cinematic history, with Zak Penn in talks to write a treatment.

Sources say there is potential interest in Michael B. Jordan to star, but much must be done before the project is ready to go.

At this point, the Wachowski siblings, who wrote and directed the original and its two sequels, are not involved and the nature of their potential engagement with a new version has not been determined. Certainly, Warners would want the two filmmakers to give at minimum a blessing to the nascent project. The studio had no comment.

Joel Silver, who produced the original trilogy, is said to have approached Warners about the idea of mining The Matrix for a potential new film. However, Silver sold his interest in all his movies to the studio in 2012 for about $30 million, according to sources. Warners is said to be leery of including him in any meaningful role, as he not only has a reputation for budget-control issues, but apparently has a strained relationship with the Wachowskis. The siblings hold much more meaning for fans than the producer. Silver's reps did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Written and directed by the Wachowskis when they went by Andy and Larry, the original movie sees humanity living in a simulated reality, unaware that humans are in pods in which their bodies are being harvested for energy. A computer programmer named Neo (Keanu Reeves) slowly becomes aware of this suppressed existence, eventually becoming humanity’s one true hope (Neo = One) to overthrow the oppressors. The pic also starred Laurence Fishburne, Carrie-Anne Moss and Hugo Weaving.

The Matrix was released in a quiet period of the 1999 release calendar — March 31 — and Warner Bros. didn’t have outsized expectations for an action movie with obvious Manga and comic-book influences. But the story and ground-breaking special effects (including the slow-motion "bullet time" effect, which launched dozens of imitators in the years that followed) became the highest grossing R-rated film of 1999 in North America, and the fourth-highest grossing film of the year worldwide. It also won four Academy Awards.

Two sequels, Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions, were not as well received, but Reeves’ deal for those films made him one of the richest actors in Hollywood.

While promoting John Wick: Chapter 2, Reeves said he would be open to returning for another installment of the franchise if the Wachowskis were involved. "They would have to write it and direct it. And then we’d see what the story is, but yeah, I dunno, that’d be weird, but why not?” he told Yahoo Movies. However, it is likely that Warners will look elsewhere to attract an A-list director and star.

While some at Warners consider the title among the studio’s sacrosanct properties, such as Casablanca, others see a need to redevelop it in an environment where studios are desperately looking for ways to monetize their libraries and branded IP is hard to come by.

The idea of adapting The Matrix as a television series was nixed in recent months. But Warner Bros. sees a model in what Disney and Lucasfilm have done with Star Wars, exploring the hidden corners of the universe with movies such as Rogue One: A Star Wars Story or the in-production young Han Solo film. Perhaps a young Morpheus movie could come out of the exploration, as an example.

Penn is a writer with deep roots in the geeky genres in which Matrix travels. He created the Syfy network’s super-powered show Alphas and has been involved in comic book movies ranging from the X-Men franchise to The Avengers.

AlienKing

The Matrix has you...
Premium Supporter
May 15, 2014
Ontario, Kanada
Reactions
16,785 15 0
Don't get me wrong, I love both MoS & BvS and also can't wait for Justice League... I just feel like they're rushing everything though and missing out on so many other cool possibilities with the characters. One thing they could learn from Marvel is to take their time and introduce each character with a solo movie first... but maybe it's just me that would prefer it that way.
I agree about the rushing part. But i look past it because i just love seeing these characters on screen. Especially the Trinity :)naughty:;))

The Matrix is my all time favourite film
:woot::woot::woot::woot::woot:
Welcome to the club! :thumbs:

Some good news:

Zak Penn, the screenwriter reported to be in negotiations to pen the treatment for the so-called reboot, has spoken up on Twitter, and while he obviously can’t say much, he does seem to strike down the notion that this Matrix movie is a genuine reboot:

the studio was looking to how Marvel and Lucasfilm were building out their franchises for inspiration. And just as Marvel Studios established the “interconnected universe” model, it appears that Lucasfilm’s trend of telling new stories about characters we already know in films like Rogue One and the upcoming Han Solo movie could be a new model of its own.

This also further explains why Michael B. Jordan is an early contender to lead this new Matrix movie. It’s possible he’s actually being eyed to play young Morpheus in a film set within the Matrix universe that the Wachowski siblings established.
I just read about this. If they are going the "Rogue One" route then i wont be offended.

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
Reactions
62,769 105 0
Some good news:

Zak Penn, the screenwriter reported to be in negotiations to pen the treatment for the so-called reboot, has spoken up on Twitter, and while he obviously can’t say much, he does seem to strike down the notion that this Matrix movie is a genuine reboot:

the studio was looking to how Marvel and Lucasfilm were building out their franchises for inspiration. And just as Marvel Studios established the “interconnected universe” model, it appears that Lucasfilm’s trend of telling new stories about characters we already know in films like Rogue One and the upcoming Han Solo movie could be a new model of its own.

This also further explains why Michael B. Jordan is an early contender to lead this new Matrix movie. It’s possible he’s actually being eyed to play young Morpheus in a film set within the Matrix universe that the Wachowski siblings established.
Hmm that gives me a little hope then... I'd at least be open to a movie that acknowledges the previous movies and characters. A reboot/remake wouldn't work at all and there's seriously no need for one!

Aug 23, 2013
Hertfordshire UK
Reactions
436 0 0
The Matrix was such a thought provoking movie at the time.
An original one off that gets sequels could not match
Out a lot of remakes reboots etc this is one that should not be redone.

Just watched the original again yesterday and it is still awesome

blu-steel

Premium Supporter
Oct 3, 2010
Seattle
Reactions
10,690 0 0
If they are going to do anything I would rather see them do a prequil. No reason to mess with the Original.

AlienKing

The Matrix has you...
Premium Supporter
May 15, 2014
Ontario, Kanada
Reactions
16,785 15 0
I just read somewhere that this will a prequel that will follow a young Morpheus storyline (hence the studio looking to get Michael B Jordan; he hasnt been cast yet)

Flloydo

Yo honey-dips, summertime, fine Jheri drippin'
Premium Supporter
Jun 4, 2013
UK
Reactions
27,997 29 0
I just read somewhere that this will a prequel that will follow a young Morpheus storyline (hence the studio looking to get Michael B Jordan; he hasnt been cast yet)
I read that on Sunday too

I could accept that but I'm not sure about michael b Jordan.
I like him to a degree but he's no Morpheus

If they do go that route I hope they find someone else

Flloydo

Premium Supporter
Jun 4, 2013
UK
Reactions
27,997 29 0
Nah, I'm still not sure if I like boyega. I love him in attack the block when he's a rude boy so it's weird seeing him in other roles lol

Plus I'm not 100% on his American accent

Nah Morpheus has to be someone better then Jordan or boyega and they need a deep voice

AlienKing

The Matrix has you...
Premium Supporter
May 15, 2014
Ontario, Kanada
Reactions
16,785 15 0
I read that on Sunday too

I could accept that but I'm not sure about michael b Jordan.
I like him to a degree but he's no Morpheus

If they do go that route I hope they find someone else
I've only watched Fantastic 4 and that movie sucked and he didnt really stand out from the crowd. People are saying he's really good in Creed, but i have yet to watch that movie.

And i've only seen Boyega in The Force Awakens and i'm not convinced he can play Morpheus (he was breathing heavily almost every scene he was in while Morpheus barely ever breathes :rofl: ). But if it's down to these two then i think i'd prefer Boyega over Jordan from what i've seen.

tridon

Est. 2011
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Nah, I'm still not sure if I like boyega. I love him in attack the block when he's a rude boy so it's weird seeing him in other roles lol

Plus I'm not 100% on his American accent

Nah Morpheus has to be someone better then Jordan or boyega and they need a deep voice
Honestly, Mike Colter (who plays Luke Cage) could play a young Lawrence Fishburne quite well.

Flloydo

Premium Supporter
Jun 4, 2013
UK
Reactions
27,997 29 0
Yes..... He's the only one who can play Morpheus

Haha, f*ck that!!

I've only watched Fantastic 4 and that movie sucked and he didnt really stand out from the crowd. People are saying he's really good in Creed, but i have yet to watch that movie.

And i've only seen Boyega in The Force Awakens and i'm not convinced he can play Morpheus (he was breathing heavily almost every scene he was in while Morpheus barely ever breathes :rofl: ). But if it's down to these two then i think i'd prefer Boyega over Jordan from what i've seen.
Yeah none of them were that great in F4 (and I really like miles teller) and I haven't seen creed yet (I hear good things) but I really like him in chronicle. Have you seen that?

And so true about boyega and his breathing

Honestly, Mike Colter (who plays Luke Cage) could play a young Lawrence Fishburne quite well.
Not a bad shout to be honest

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
Reactions
62,769 105 0
Performance-wise MBJ has been great in everything I've seen him in, but he ain't no Morpheus. I'd prefer Boyega over him to be honest... @tridon's had the best shout with Mike Colter though! :thumbs:

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
Reactions
62,769 105 0
Throwing another one out there... Daniel Kaluuya. I've not seen him in any major roles, but people are raving about him in Get Out.

Daniel_Kaluuya.jpg

Flloydo

Premium Supporter
Jun 4, 2013
UK
Reactions
27,997 29 0
Throwing another one out there... Daniel Kaluuya. I've not seen him in any major roles, but people are raving about him in Get Out.

View attachment 301981
I was going to mention him in my last post but then I looked him up again and didn't think he had the larry look BUT he actually does in that pic a bit

His voice isn't very Morpheus though.

Ah man I need to see get out, was supposed to on Sunday but didn't in the end