3.00 star(s) Rating: 3.00/5 3 Votes
Title: The Matrix 4

Tagline: Return to the source.

Genre: Action, Science Fiction

Director: Lana Wachowski

Cast: Keanu Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss

Release: 2021-22-12

Runtime: 157

Plot: The fourth installment in The Matrix franchise. Plot unknown.

Reactions: domalorite
I know he's super busy at the moment, but I'd love to see J.J. Abrams direct the Matrix prequel trilogy... imagine all that green lens flare!

:smileycool:

No thanks.. don't want that hack butchering another franchise.

this is the Wachowski's baby, they will direct.

Take all the negative feedback and either learn from the mistakes or hire some better writers, or else it won't pass one movie.

Come on, there's enough ideas to make a movie just as good as the first one...

Via Screengeek

the-matrix-4.png

Before John Wick, actor Keanu Reeves was The One. After the trilogy of The Matrix concluded 14 years ago with the mixed reception of The Matrix Revolutions, it seemed to have ended on the note it wanted to go. Regardless, if there are fans, there is always a demand for a continuation.

Reeves spoke alongside his John Wick 2 co-star Laurence Fishburne, who was also involved in The Matrix as Morpheus, to The LA Times regarding a potential of a continuation. While Fishburne noted the pressure, Reeves had a stirring grin to the thought of it, saying:

“It would be awesome!”

It seems that Yahoo Movies confirmed it would take more than just the title to get Neo to come back, however. Reeves spoke about his conditions of doing a continuation of the film in the form of the original people behind the scenes:

“The Wachowskis would have to be involved. They would have to write it and direct it. And then we’d see what the story is, but yeah, I dunno, that’d be weird, but why not? People die, stories don’t, people in stories don’t.”

Carrie-Ann Moss, who played Trinity in the original trilogy, even sparked her enjoyment in the original trilogy when the topic of the film arose back in November with The Guardian.

“In some ways the conversation that surrounded [The Matrix] is even more relevant now. We really are all plugged into the matrix. I feel like the Wachowskis had a lot more clarity around it than I did at the time. In that first scene, where the babies are all plugged in as batteries, everyone is mentally asleep – they knew exactly what they were saying. It’s amazing as an artist to be part of a conversation.”

With the three films grossing a total of $1.6 billion and the numerous pop culture uses it has gained over the years, the Matrix series is clearly a staple in sci-fi and filmmaking history. With the leads understanding the reputation of The Matrix, it would need to be treated right to make it worth making. Rumors have been consistent on a continuation for a while, with some talks of 4 continuing the typical sequel titles with “The Matrix Resurrection”, while another talks of Warner Bros. combating Disney’s new Star Wars trilogy with their own revamped trilogy, much like the corporations are doing with their Marvel and DC properties.

At this point, only time will tell. And perhaps sooner than later, we can return to the world of Neo.

In the meantime, you can catch the reunion of Keanu Reeves and Laurence Fishburne in John Wick 2, in theaters now.

• Thanks
Reactions: Basil and Drum18
Could be cool, as long as they leave out some of the video-game looking special effects as in some of the sequels. Interesting...

I actually hope not.. The first movie was good. The second and third spiraled into a direction i was not happy with. The visual effects were great and i loved the final battle against agent Smith but the thrill was gone.

One can only hope, eh @AlienKing ? :D
Heheh :D Of course, we can always hope :woot:

But I dont know about the Wachowskis anymore...
- i havent seen Cloud Atlas. Heard mixed reviews
- watched Jupiter Ascending and didnt really like it except the "world-building"
- havent watched Sense8 but it's being universally praised

:confused:

We'll see.

matrix07.jpg

From Hollywood Reporter:

More Matrix? Bet on it.

It’s still not clear what shape the project will take, but sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that Warner Bros. is in the early stages of developing a relaunch of The Matrix, the iconic 1999 sci-fi movie that is considered one of the most original films in cinematic history, with Zak Penn in talks to write a treatment.

Sources say there is potential interest in Michael B. Jordan to star, but much must be done before the project is ready to go.

At this point, the Wachowski siblings, who wrote and directed the original and its two sequels, are not involved and the nature of their potential engagement with a new version has not been determined. Certainly, Warners would want the two filmmakers to give at minimum a blessing to the nascent project. The studio had no comment.

Joel Silver, who produced the original trilogy, is said to have approached Warners about the idea of mining The Matrix for a potential new film. However, Silver sold his interest in all his movies to the studio in 2012 for about $30 million, according to sources. Warners is said to be leery of including him in any meaningful role, as he not only has a reputation for budget-control issues, but apparently has a strained relationship with the Wachowskis. The siblings hold much more meaning for fans than the producer. Silver's reps did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Written and directed by the Wachowskis when they went by Andy and Larry, the original movie sees humanity living in a simulated reality, unaware that humans are in pods in which their bodies are being harvested for energy. A computer programmer named Neo (Keanu Reeves) slowly becomes aware of this suppressed existence, eventually becoming humanity’s one true hope (Neo = One) to overthrow the oppressors. The pic also starred Laurence Fishburne, Carrie-Anne Moss and Hugo Weaving.

The Matrix was released in a quiet period of the 1999 release calendar — March 31 — and Warner Bros. didn’t have outsized expectations for an action movie with obvious Manga and comic-book influences. But the story and ground-breaking special effects (including the slow-motion "bullet time" effect, which launched dozens of imitators in the years that followed) became the highest grossing R-rated film of 1999 in North America, and the fourth-highest grossing film of the year worldwide. It also won four Academy Awards.

Two sequels, Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions, were not as well received, but Reeves’ deal for those films made him one of the richest actors in Hollywood.

While promoting John Wick: Chapter 2, Reeves said he would be open to returning for another installment of the franchise if the Wachowskis were involved. "They would have to write it and direct it. And then we’d see what the story is, but yeah, I dunno, that’d be weird, but why not?” he told Yahoo Movies. However, it is likely that Warners will look elsewhere to attract an A-list director and star.

While some at Warners consider the title among the studio’s sacrosanct properties, such as Casablanca, others see a need to redevelop it in an environment where studios are desperately looking for ways to monetize their libraries and branded IP is hard to come by.

The idea of adapting The Matrix as a television series was nixed in recent months. But Warner Bros. sees a model in what Disney and Lucasfilm have done with Star Wars, exploring the hidden corners of the universe with movies such as Rogue One: A Star Wars Story or the in-production young Han Solo film. Perhaps a young Morpheus movie could come out of the exploration, as an example.

Penn is a writer with deep roots in the geeky genres in which Matrix travels. He created the Syfy network’s super-powered show Alphas and has been involved in comic book movies ranging from the X-Men franchise to The Avengers.

The first movie was good. The sequels were less than stellar although they offered some amazing visuals. But this story is old and tired.

@AlienKing Does this news bother you as much as it bothers me? :rolleyes:
Like @Noodles said, i wouldnt have minded seeing a sequel. Or even a prequel with mix of old/new cast (ie - what happened before The One; it's such a rich world to explore).
But a reboot? :stop: There's no way they're topping the original. At best, we'll probably get a CGI action-filled popcorn flick. And that's me being optimistic.

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon and Noodles
Like @Noodles said, i wouldnt have minded seeing a sequel. Or even a prequel with mix of old/new cast (ie - what happened before The One; it's such a rich world to explore).
But a reboot? :stop: There's no way they're topping the original. At best, we'll probably get a CGI action-filled popcorn flick. And that's me being optimistic.

I'd be ECSTATIC if it was a sequel or prequel, but the words 'reboot', 'relaunch', and 'remake' should never be attached to The Matrix. Keanu just finished saying last week that he'd be interested in a fourth if the Wachowskis returned, so Warner should just be throwing money at them right now to get a proper installment going.

I'd be ECSTATIC if it was a sequel or prequel, but the words 'reboot', 'relaunch', and 'remake' should never be attached to The Matrix. Keanu just finished saying last week that he'd be interested in a fourth if the Wachowskis returned, so Warner should just be throwing money at them right now to get a proper installment going.

If it was a prequel. And MBJordan plays a young Morpheus... I could find that interesting. ...maybe.
But if this is a FULL on reboot. No thanks.

BUT, now they can use smart phones as a gimmick!

Please NO to the Smart Phone thing.
One of the best parts of the Matrix was having to find a landline or phone booth. That whole scene of Neo trying to get away and find a phone to use was suspenseful and fantastic. Being able to use a cell phone takes that all away.

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon