lenticularis

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
UK
Release date: July 26, 2021
Purchase links: Eureka Video - Amazon UK - Zavvi
Price: £21.99 (Eureka - Amazon) - £22.99 (Zavvi)

ME.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SPECIAL FEATURES​

• Four versions of the film across two Blu-ray discs, all presented from brand new 2K restorations
  • Limited Edition O-Card slipcase featuring new artwork by Darren Wheeling
  • Limited Edition reversible poster featuring new and original artwor
  • Limited Edition Bonus Disc featuring the English language version of the film originally prepared for the international theatrical release; and a new cut of the film prepared exclusively for this release that combines footage from the original theatrical and extended cuts of the film to present a hypothetical “complete” version
  • Limited Edition booklet featuring new writing and rare archival imagery
  • 1080p presentation on Blu-ray of the Original Hong Kong Theatrical Cut from a brand new 2K restoration
  • 1080p presentation on Blu-ray of the Extended Version (sometimes erroneously labelled the International Cut) of the film from a brand new 2K restoration
  • Cantonese audio (original mono presentation)
  • Alternate English dub track
  • Rare alternate Cantonese soundtrack
  • Optional English dubbed audio
  • Optional English Subtitles (newly translated for this release)
  • Brand new feature length audio commentary by Asian film expert Frank Djeng (NY Asian Film Festival) [Hong Kong Theatrical Version]
  • Brand new select scene commentary by actress and martial arts movie icon, Cynthia Rothrock [Hong Kong Theatrical Version
  • Brand new audio commentary by Mike Leeder and Arne Venema [Extended Version]
  • Brand new interview with Cynthia Rothrock
  • Archival interview with Sammo Hung
  • Archival interview with Cynthia Rothrock
  • Archival interview with Yuen Biao
  • Archival interview with Yukari Oshima
  • Alternate English opening & closing credits
  • Trailers
  • 1080p presentation on Blu-ray of the English Language Version from a brand new 2K restoration (LIMITED - DISC 2 ONLY)
  • 1080p presentation on Blu-ray of the Hybrid Cut, newly created exclusively for this release from a brand new 2K restoration (LIMITED - DISC 2 ONLY)
  • Original English dubbed audio track [English Language Version] (LIMITED - DISC 2 ONL
  • Original Cantonese mono audio [Hybrid Cut] (LIMITED - DISC 2 ONLY)
  • Optional English subtitles
  • ***All extras subject to change

so...what's your take on the release itself? or did you watch it too many times to give an unbiased opinion?! :)
The movie or the release?

Movie is fine but a little misleading in terms of the setup (it's not a train robbery). I'm not that fond of Sammo Hung movies and I hadn't seen it in forever, but I actually liked it more the second and third times I watched it for this.

Release is loaded. The movie has been remastered and looks beautiful. There's also a new cut that combines all the available cuts into one which I really like, but it's only available on the first pressing on the second disc.

If I had to make any criticisms, then personally I'm not a fan of the cover art. This guy does all of Eureka's Hong Kong movie releases though (and a lot of their non-Masters of Cinema ones too now) so he's not going anytime soon. Also, not a huge fan of the guy who does the audio commentaries. I mean, he knows his stuff and people like his work, but I feel like he waffles on a bit (too much unrelated material), makes these annoying mistakes which are easily googleable, and is doing them for every damn Hong Kong movie coming out. It's just a bit much I feel. It'd be nice to hear from some other voices.

The movie or the release?

Movie is fine but a little misleading in terms of the setup (it's not a train robbery). I'm not that fond of Sammo Hung movies and I hadn't seen it in forever, but I actually liked it more the second and third times I watched it for this.

Release is loaded. The movie has been remastered and looks beautiful. There's also a new cut that combines all the available cuts into one which I really like, but it's only available on the first pressing on the second disc.

If I had to make any criticisms, then personally I'm not a fan of the cover art. This guy does all of Eureka's Hong Kong movie releases though (and a lot of their non-Masters of Cinema ones too now) so he's not going anytime soon. Also, not a huge fan of the guy who does the audio commentaries. I mean, he knows his stuff and people like his work, but I feel like he waffles on a bit (too much unrelated material), makes these annoying mistakes which are easily googleable, and is doing them for every damn Hong Kong movie coming out. It's just a bit much I feel. It'd be nice to hear from some other voices.
superb, thanks for that, appreciate you taking the time to respond with detail. :thanks: i've never seen this, so that helps a lot. :thumbs: