Horror-Theatrical The Neon Demon - In theaters June, 2016

Jan 31, 2012
[CONTAINER][MOVIE1]Title: The Neon Demon (2016)

Genre: [GENRE]Drama[/GENRE], [GENRE]Horror[/GENRE], [GENRE]Mystery[/GENRE]

Director: [DIRECTOR]Nicolas Winding Refn[/DIRECTOR]

Cast: [ACTOR]Elle Fanning[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Abbey Lee[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Jena Malone[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Keanu Reeves[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Christina Hendricks[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Bella Heathcote[/ACTOR]

Release Date: [RELEASE]2016-01-01[/RELEASE]

Runtime: [RUNTIME]0[/RUNTIME]

Plot: An aspiring model finds herself in a terrifying predicament with her survival hanging in the balance.[/MOVIE1][POSTER1]
6ihkIMgK3wfOpS9yT9oVUPXSTiZ.jpg
[/POSTER1][/CONTAINER]

There isn't all too much info at this point but I figured with so many Drive fans floating around in here, people would be interested to hear a scant few details and check out the first poster (or concept?) image for Nicolas Winding Refn's all-female horror flick.

Credit goes to http://twitchfilm.com/ for the info:

GAUMONT & WILD BUNCH encounter THE NEON DEMON...

After Only God Forgives (in competition at Cannes Film Festival 2013), Gaumont and Wild Bunch team up again to co-finance and co-distribute the next film by Nicolas Winding Refn.

The Neon Demon reveals a horror tale with a young female driven cast, written by NWR and Mary Laws.

About the origin of the movie, Refn said, "One morning I woke and realized I was both surrounded and dominated by women. Strangely, a sudden urge was planted in me to make a horror film about vicious beauty. After making DRIVE and falling madly in love with the electricity of Los Angeles, I knew I had to return to tell the story of THE NEON DEMON."

Refn's partner, Lene Borglum (Valhalla Rising, Only God Forgives) will be producing under their joint company, Space Rocket.

Principal photography is set to begin in the first quarter of 2015 and will be filmed in Los Angeles, CA. The cast will be announced later this year. Refn's regular collaborators, editor Matthew Newman (Bronson, Drive, Only God Forgives) and composter Cliff Martinez (Drive, Only God Forgives) will be joined by director of photography, Philippe Le Sourd (The Grand Master) on the production of NWR's film.

Gaumont and Wild Bunch will be selling the movie at the upcoming AFM for a 2016 release.

"I'm very excited to continue my wonderful relationship with Wild Bunch and Gaumont on my next film, THE NEON DEMON. This movie is a manifestation of the strong ties between us and will lead to many more adventures," said Nicolas Winding Refn.

-------

I just hope this one will get NWR back on track after Only God Forgives. :emb:

Attachments

• neon.jpg
    neon.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 312
Last edited by a moderator:
I think this just instantly jumped to my most anticipated film this year. Above certain superhero/ villain films

"Who wants milk when you can get fresh meat" - what a line
Rogue One is still my #1, but this definitely comes in second!

Agreed... loved that line. And the "Know what my mother used to call me? Dangerous" one. I know NWR uses very little dialogue in his films, but the dialogue he does use is very memorable and quotable IMO. Can't wait to see what other cool lines are in the film.

• Thanks
Reactions: Flloydo
Rogue One is still my #1, but this definitely comes in second!

Agreed... loved that line. And the "Know what my mother used to call me? Dangerous" one. I know NWR uses very little dialogue in his films, but the dialogue he does use is very memorable and quotable IMO. Can't wait to see what other cool lines are in the film.

Simple but effective dialogue. There's something Albert brooks says in drive and it's brilliant, just can't remember what it is, it's when he turns up at the track. Soemthing to do with dirty money or along those lines

I still think Keanu is the devil in some kind of way and knowing NWR and the theme of this film exploring the behind the scenes of the seedy and dangerous modelling world (in NWR's world) and looking like she goes through this horrible living psychological nightmare that maybe just maybe she sells her souls for fame.
I don't think it will be obvious Keanu is the devil but will have certain nods toward it (like the lieutenant who's "God" in only god forgives)

Certain bits of dialogue like the one you mention hints to me she's sold her soul anyway

Then again I could be massively wrong and he pops up in one scene lol like her dad or something

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
Simple but effective dialogue. There's something Albert brooks says in drive and it's brilliant, just can't remember what it is, it's when he turns up at the track. Soemthing to do with dirty money or along those lines

I still think Keanu is the devil in some kind of way and knowing NWR and the theme of this film exploring the behind the scenes of the seedy and dangerous modelling world (in NWR's world) and looking like she goes through this horrible living psychological nightmare that maybe just maybe she sells her souls for fame.
I don't think it will be obvious Keanu is the devil but will have certain nods toward it (like the lieutenant who's "God" in only god forgives)

Certain bits of dialogue like the one you mention hints to me she's sold her soul anyway

Then again I could be massively wrong and he pops up in one scene lol like her dad or something
Precisely mate... he mainly just uses dialogue when it's needed, which actually makes it more effective IMO. Haha I could quote Drive all day, so I know exactly which bit you're referring to... Bernie goes to shake Driver's hand, but he politely declines saying his hands are a little dirty, so Bernie simply replies "so are mine" - such a simple but clever line!

Not saying he definitely isn't, but I don't think Keanu's character will be bad/evil in this, and I can't see him or anyone else being the devil since NWR did that in his last film. Your idea of her selling her soul is cool and kind of makes sense though, but like I said... he did the devil thing with Only God Forgives, so I'd honestly be disappointed if he used the same idea.

• Thanks
Precisely mate... he mainly just uses dialogue when it's needed, which actually makes it more effective IMO. Haha I could quote Drive all day, so I know exactly which bit you're referring to... Bernie goes to shake Driver's hand, but he politely declines saying his hands are a little dirty, so Bernie simply replies "so are mine" - such a simple but clever line!

Not saying he definitely isn't, but I don't think Keanu's character will be bad/evil in this, and I can't see him or anyone else being the devil since NWR did that in his last film. Your idea of her selling her soul is cool and kind of makes sense though, but like I said... he did the devil thing with Only God Forgives, so I'd honestly be disappointed if he used the same idea.

Yep that's the one, his delivery on the line is awesome too but I think that's brooks in general

I so hope Keanu is evil though, it's rare with him.
Wait when was the devil done in only God forgives? I'm confused now. I think the Thai guy comes across as the devil but isn't he supposed to be something else (even though he's called the Angel of death)
Yeah I suppose if he's already done that before then it will be slightly cop out but I missed that in the last film. Unless it's Julian or the mum!
Shame because the fashion world would be a perfect setting for the devil especially the style that NWR works with and the imagery from this film screams devil to me lol

Yep that's the one, his delivery on the line is awesome too but I think that's brooks in general

I so hope Keanu is evil though, it's rare with him.
Wait when was the devil done in only God forgives? I'm confused now. I think the Thai guy comes across as the devil but isn't he supposed to be something else (even though he's called the Angel of death)
Yeah I suppose if he's already done that before then it will be slightly cop out but I missed that in the last film. Unless it's Julian or the mum!
Shame because the fashion world would be a perfect setting for the devil especially the style that NWR works with and the imagery from this film screams devil to me lol
Too much to explain, so I'll just share this video instead...

As the guy said... all of the characters in OGF have evil inside them, but I always saw the Thai cop as being the devil (or the "accuser" as mentioned in the video). That's how I always interpreted it anyway, but I know many others actually see him as being God based on the fact that he's a cop serving justice... not in a very moral fashion though IMO, which makes it even clearer to me that he is in fact Satan and not God.

• Thanks
Reactions: lolwut and Flloydo
Too much to explain, so I'll just share this video instead...

As the guy said... all of the characters in OGF have evil inside them, but I always saw the Thai cop as being the devil (or the "accuser" as mentioned in the video). That's how I always interpreted it anyway, but I know many others actually see him as being God based on the fact that he's a cop serving justice... not in a very moral fashion though IMO, which makes it even clearer to me that he is in fact Satan and not God.

That all makes a lot of sense

Cheers for posting the vid

• Thanks
My concern is that NWR trailers are always really deceptive - perhaps moreso to the general public than those in the know - but I don't think I've seen any of his since the Danish Valhalla Rising trailer that seemed to properly reflect the tone of the film. :rofl: I also wasn't a fan of the teaser for this one... felt too much like Only God Forgives (my Refn kryptonite!) and I was worried he was slipping further into what I considered a fearful reaction to mainstream appeal.

Think this is a much better effort though and can't be understated how important the music is for Refn's imagery. I hope he keeps hanging with Martinez down the line. Happily feels a bit less (or more depending on how you think of it) like Suspiria than the teaser too. Feels like this has taken forever to come out! This will be my first trip to the cinema in a while. :cool:

She's such a fantastic actress

I've got to say and excuse my language but the women in the film are going to be so c*nty toward her

I get a Mullholland drive vibe from this film
Haha definitely! Up to now I've been wondering what's "horror" about it, but I'm guessing they push her too far and she goes on some sort of revenge rampage or something lol.

• Thanks
Haha definitely! Up to now I've been wondering what's "horror" about it, but I'm guessing they push her too far and she goes on some sort of revenge rampage or something lol.

Or it's in her mind (black swan esque)

Yeah I get the impression they push her further into darkness

She's innocent and don't think like they do, they will manipulate her or at least try to and eductate her on the underground of modelling (that girl already tried to with surgery talk and then hits her with a dead parents blow) but I can see the tables being turned

Also a bit of mis direction in the trailer with her covered in blood but now we have seen its for a shoot

• Thanks
Or it's in her mind (black swan esque)

Yeah I get the impression they push her further into darkness

She's innocent and don't think like they do, they will manipulate her or at least try to and eductate her on the underground of modelling (that girl already tried to with surgery talk and then hits her with a dead parents blow) but I can see the tables being turned

Also a bit of mis direction in the trailer with her covered in blood but now we have seen its for a shoot
Funny you should say that... I'd been getting a bit of a Black Swan vibe from it too. :thumbs:

Yep, that's pretty much exactly how I expect it all to pan out. And yeah, must say I was a little disappointed to see that scene is completely innocent... I expected it to be during/after she's slaughtered someone. :p

• Thanks
Funny you should say that... I'd been getting a bit of a Black Swan vibe from it too. :thumbs:

Yep, that's pretty much exactly how I expect it all to pan out. And yeah, must say I was a little disappointed to see that scene is completely innocent... I expected it to be during/after she's slaughtered someone. :p

Yeah I'm getting black swan/ Mullholland drive for some reason

I couldn't quite think what it was until I see those 3 proper speaking clips

You never know, you may get what you want and she is covered in someone's else blood at some point ;) you freak.....

..... (Joke, I want that too haha)

• Thanks