The Northman (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: July 18, 2022
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre-order on April 15, at 12 PM for Red Carpet, at 6 PM general sale - UK time)
Price:
£29.99

The Northman.jpg

Last edited:
Preordered. I'll be honest and say that I didn't love The Lighthouse so much, I didn't think it was bad or anything but I felt it was overhyped by the time I saw it. But this looks amazing. Hope I'll get a chance to catch it at my local cinema soon.

Haven't seen the movie yet but this artwork doesn't make me want to own the steelbook. Fingers crossed for something more stylized. Personally just dislike covers with just people or a face on them. But judging from other posters officially used this one's a lot better.

Haven't seen the movie yet but this artwork doesn't make me want to own the steelbook. Fingers crossed for something more stylized. Personally just dislike covers with just people or a face on them. But judging from other posters officially used this one's a lot better.

You haven't seen the movie and you don't want to own the steelbook ?!

200w.gif

I’ve seen the film. I loved it but that’s because I love ‘artsy’ films like this but only when they are done well. But I see a good chunk of people not liking it at all. It depends. Ask yourself, did you enjoy The Lighthouse and The Green Knight? If so, then you’re in for something good
So you’re saying there’s almost no action?

No no, there's definitely a good amount of action. But it's not as action-packed as you might think if you watched the trailers. Quite similar to Dune (where trailer makes it seem like its super action packed but in reality the film has a good amount of action to help drive the story in certain parts). I think some of the general audience will like this more than they liked the green knight and the lighthouse, but there are still elements and scenes that will weird out some people and potentially giving them a "nauseating" experience.

• Informative
Reactions: RMA
Sold out (although you never really know with Zavvi)

A lot of people from North America are now pre-ordering titles from Zavvi because they're unsure if certain steelbooks will be released here after not getting Ghostbusters: Afterlife, Last Night in Soho and The Last Duel.

I have read that people have pre-ordered this without seeing the film or even knowing if it's any good just in case they see it before it's released and like it.

Reactions: Lord Vader
Similar to The Batman they loaded the trailer with action to sell it as this sort of film but it just isnt. It's closer to The Witch in terms of its application of period setting - authentic dialogue - authentic rituals - character motivation and finally setpieces. A bit sparse but effective. Eggers seems more interested in the texture of the times he's set his films in than sticking to typical genre standards. Even so I think it could have used some more action as the plot itself is pretty thin and once he reaches his destination the momentum is diverted for the better part of an hour. Or at least give a bit more fever dream/vision material.. the mound dweller's blade section was really good and wish they'd had a few more beats like that.

Similar to The Batman they loaded the trailer with action to sell it as this sort of film but it just isnt. It's closer to The Witch in terms of its application of period setting - authentic dialogue - authentic rituals - character motivation and finally setpieces. A bit sparse but effective. Eggers seems more interested in the texture of the times he's set his films in than sticking to typical genre standards. Even so I think it could have used some more action as the plot itself is pretty thin and once he reaches his destination the momentum is diverted for the better part of an hour. Or at least give a bit more fever dream/vision material.. the mound dweller's blade section was really good and wish they'd had a few more beats like that.

Eggers wanted more of the "indie feel" with a period setting - authentic dialogue - authentic rituals like you said in the vain of The VVitch and Lighthouse. But studio wanted more action oriented movie, as this was way more expensive that his other efforts. I'm happy to hear that this IN NOT your regular action blockbuster ! :thumbs:

Reactions: MrSquifler
Finally watched this and f**king wow!

Absolutely epic in every way, it looks beautiful and the performances are all incredible. I love Eggers and I love the witch and the lighthouse but this might of overtaken them. It’s kinda like a non pretentious borderline art house gladiator with vikings. And I’m all for it

Also I read somewhere a few people complain that it’s not violent or have any action etc. Personally those people are either blind or didn’t watch the same film.

I’ve not seen a great deal of Viking films but this is instantly my favourite one

That fight at the volcano at the end! Jesus

Finally watched this and f**king wow!

Absolutely epic in every way, it looks beautiful and the performances are all incredible. I love Eggers and I love the witch and the lighthouse but this might of overtaken them. It’s kinda like a non pretentious borderline art house gladiator with vikings. And I’m all for it

Also I read somewhere a few people complain that it’s not violent or have any action etc. Personally those people are either blind or didn’t watch the same film.

I’ve not seen a great deal of Viking films but this is instantly my favourite one

That fight at the volcano at the end! Jesus
one of the things i liked was the end as well.

Reactions: Flloydo