The Official "A Song of Ice and Fire" Book Chat Thread!

bloodsnake007

Ltd. Ed./Birthdays/Video Game Mod
Premium Supporter
May 18, 2013
AZ, U.S.A
This thread is for the books, not HBO's TV adaption :thumbs: Have FUN! :woot:

A Song of Ice and Fire
by George R.R. Martin

Book 1: A Game of Thrones (1996)

694 pages.
Book 1 - A Game of Thrones.jpg

Book 2: A Clash of Kings (1998)

768 pages.
Book 2 - A Clash of Kings.jpg

Book 3: A Storm of Swords (2000)

973 pages.
Book 3 - A Storm of Swords.jpg

Book 4: A Feast for Crows (2005)

976 pages.
Book 4 - A Feast for Frows -.jpg

Book 5: A Dance with Dragons (2011)

1040 pages.
Book 5 - A Dance with Dragons.jpeg

Book 6: The Winds of Winter (TBA)
Book 6 - The Winds of Winter.jpg

Book 7: A Dream of Spring (TBA)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for creating the thread @bloodsnake007 ;) Can you rename the title of the thread to "A Song of Ice and Fire" though ? "A Game of Thrones" is only the title of the first book. :p

Unfortunately it was reported last week that his next Westeros book will 'probably' be in 2018 and it may not even be Winds of Winter :(
http://www.express.co.uk/entertainm...orge-RR-Martin-Game-of-Thrones-TV-show-ending
So just read that.. damn I hope WoW will be the book. I don't really care for the other bonus books. I wish he would just write those once ASOIAF is finished. At this pace, we'll probably never get ADOS.. :(

• Thanks
Reactions: bloodsnake007
Thanks for creating the thread @bloodsnake007 ;) Can you rename the title of the thread to "A Song of Ice and Fire" though ? "A Game of Thrones" is only the title of the first book. :p

So just read that.. damn I hope WoW will be the book. I don't really care for the other bonus books. I wish he would just write those once ASOIAF is finished. At this pace, we'll probably never get ADOS.. :(

Had pretty much the same reaction last week when I saw it. Although I will quite probably read Fire and Blood I, and I guess most other fans, would much prefer an end to Ice and Fire (well WoW at least I guess DoS will be at least another 5 years after that!) before a history of the House Targaryen :hilarious:

Had pretty much the same reaction last week when I saw it. Although I will quite probably read Fire and Blood I, and I guess most other fans, would much prefer an end to Ice and Fire (well WoW at least I guess DoS will be at least another 5 years after that!) before a history of the House Targaryen :hilarious:
Another 5 years ? Yeah right, more like 10 :D

And yeah I'll read it too but only once ASOIAF is over. I didn't read the other bonus books too for the same reason. And FaB will be a trilogy if I recall, so I'll just wait for the trilogy to be complete.

Did you finish book five ?

I myself was at Book Four but stopped for awhile so I didn't remember everything so it gave me a reason to start all over again but this time in English (I was reading it in French translation before, and it is actually quite bad). So it gives me a few more months of patience before the release of WoW :LOL:

• Thanks
Reactions: zesty
Think I've read them all about 5 or 6 times normally take a couple on holiday which is what I was thinking of doing again in October hence looking for any news on WoW release ;)

Still can't remember all that happens in them though as they're not exactly the kind of size you read in a week (unless you have absolutely nothing else to do!)

Was going to take 1 and 2 on hols then try and time the other 3 for WoW might wait till April hols now :p

@zesty Oh that's a lot of times ! :OMG: I'm a slow - like really really slow - reader but I'd love to read books like this this many times. It's not that I don't read fast, it's just that after reading one or two chapters I want to do something else ^^ Can't stay focused on one thing:p

Haha well I hope you do that then ! It's always great to go back and discover more and more stuff ! Especially clues that leads to revelations later on. Once we know the revelation, it's easier to find the clues ^^

Anyway, updated the OP with a quick listing ;)

@zesty Oh that's a lot of times ! :OMG: I'm a slow - like really really slow - reader but I'd love to read books like this this many times. It's not that I don't read fast, it's just that after reading one or two chapters I want to do something else ^^ Can't stay focused on one thing:p

Haha well I hope you do that then ! It's always great to go back and discover more and more stuff ! Especially clues that leads to revelations later on. Once we know the revelation, it's easier to find the clues ^^

Anyway, updated the OP with a quick listing ;)

To be honest I read quite a lot a work, tend to get in an hour early then can't be bothered to go out at lunch so get in 2 hours a day most days (unless my boss won't leave me alone!)

Don't think I'd manage to read the paperbacks again my eyes aren't what they used to be and the teeny tiny print may get the better of me would probably have to put them on my tablet ;)

Might just do that and just keep reading them on a big loop until WoW comes out :hilarious:

To be honest I read quite a lot a work, tend to get in an hour early then can't be bothered to go out at lunch so get in 2 hours a day most days (unless my boss won't leave me alone!)

Don't think I'd manage to read the paperbacks again my eyes aren't what they used to be and the teeny tiny print may get the better of me would probably have to put them on my tablet ;)

Might just do that and just keep reading them on a big loop until WoW comes out :hilarious:
Yeah the paperbacks do seem very small. I read the hardcover at home and on my iphone when I'm on the bus or somewhere it's not easy to read a big book ^^

Haha yeah that's a great idea! You might get to read them 20x times before that happens :LOL:

Thanks ! :naughty:

• Thanks
Reactions: bloodsnake007
Yeah the paperbacks do seem very small. I read the hardcover at home and on my iphone when I'm on the bus or somewhere it's not easy to read a big book ^^

Haha yeah that's a great idea! You might get to read them 20x times before that happens :LOL:

Thanks ! :naughty:

Yeah I did the hardcover on the bus to work with DwD used to get me some funny looks :D
Don't have that option anymore anyway the hardcovers I did have wondered off in the infamous house evacuation a few years back and they are way to expensive to replace now :(

Just checked and I do still have them all on my tablet so that saves me putting them back on again ;)

Yeah I did the hardcover on the bus to work with DwD used to get me some funny looks :D
Don't have that option anymore anyway the hardcovers I did have wondered off in the infamous house evacuation a few years back and they are way to expensive to replace now :(

Just checked and I do still have them all on my tablet so that saves me putting them back on again ;)
Expensive ? Which release did you have ? I have those: https://www.bookdepository.com/Game-of-Thrones-George-R-R-Martin/9780553103540 and it's about $30 a book. I mean yeah it's not cheap, but it was the original price right ?

Speaking of tablets and iphone, I saw there an iBooks exclusive version that had a lot of stuff in it. You can click on words, names, family houses, places and you get a detailed description. That's really neat, especially for those discovering this world. I wish I had this the first time I read them ^^

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2016...enhanced-edition-comes-exclusively-to-ibooks/

Expensive ? Which release did you have ? I have those: https://www.bookdepository.com/Game-of-Thrones-George-R-R-Martin/9780553103540 and it's about $30 a book. I mean yeah it's not cheap, but it was the original price right ?

Speaking of tablets and iphone, I saw there an iBooks exclusive version that had a lot of stuff in it. You can click on words, names, family houses, places and you get a detailed description. That's really neat, especially for those discovering this world. I wish I had this the first time I read them ^^

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2016...enhanced-edition-comes-exclusively-to-ibooks/

Yeah that's the original price give or take but if I re brought them now I would have to go with these which are a little more expensive :hilarious:

I don't have an iphone so can't try that, thought I can get away with a new avatar now though :D

Yeah that's the original price give or take but if I re brought them now I would have to go with these which are a little more expensive :hilarious:

I don't have an iphone so can't try that, thought I can get away with a new avatar now though :D
:LOL: Yeah not the same price indeed ! Well just wait until TWOW and ADOS are released and get the big ultimate collector limited expensive edition made of dragonglass and valyrian steel :hilarious:

Haha yeah your new avatar is perfect :thumbs: Stole it to use it somewhere else, I hope you won't mind:rolleyes:

• Thanks
Reactions: zesty
:LOL: Yeah not the same price indeed ! Well just wait until TWOW and ADOS are released and get the big ultimate collector limited expensive edition made of dragonglass and valyrian steel :hilarious:

Haha yeah your new avatar is perfect :thumbs: Stole it to use it somewhere else, I hope you won't mind:rolleyes:

Yeah think that's what I'll end up doing plus it gives me 10 years or so to save up for it :hilarious:

No problem here's the full size one if you want it had to trim it down and speed it up quite a lot to fit the avatar size on here :p

viserion-eyeball.gif

Yeah think that's what I'll end up doing plus it gives me 10 years or so to save up for it :hilarious:

No problem here's the full size one if you want it had to trim it down and speed it up quite a lot to fit the avatar size on here :p

viserion-eyeball.gif
Don't worry, I used the official HBO gif from giphy.com and trimed it on Photoshop ^^ But thanks ;)

Well if WoW comes out next year (and that's a big IF) it would have been 7 years of waiting. So yeah I wouldn't be surprised if for the last one we wait 10 years. Although Martin won't be working on the show anymore.. so I don't know. We'll have to see. Something I'm most eager to find out once the show is over, is what George's honest opinion on D&D writing is.

Don't worry, I used the official HBO gif from giphy.com and trimed it on Photoshop ^^ But thanks ;)

Well if WoW comes out next year (and that's a big IF) it would have been 7 years of waiting. So yeah I wouldn't be surprised if for the last one we wait 10 years. Although Martin won't be working on the show anymore.. so I don't know. We'll have to see. Something I'm most eager to find out once the show is over, is what George's honest opinion on D&D writing is.

Well the fourth book took 5 years, the fifth 6 years, looking like the sixth is 7 years, so 8 for the seventh?!? :p

I need to stop buying things https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0007580916/?tag=hidefnin-21 does look nice though :D

Never heard of that one !

Haha yeah well I wish it was that ! I really hope we won't have to wait more than 8 years for the last one ! And no more than 7 for this one !

Will be here tomorrow so I'll let you know what it's like :D

I hope it isn't but it wouldn't surprise me, hopefully we won't need Maester Qyburn to keep Martin alive long enough to finish it :hilarious:

Will be here tomorrow so I'll let you know what it's like :D

I hope it isn't but it wouldn't surprise me, hopefully we won't need Maester Qyburn to keep Martin alive long enough to finish it :hilarious:

Hahaha :LOL: Well maybe if he dies, the Lord of Light can revive him for one last purpose :p