Premium Supporter
Nov 26, 2017
Finland
4.00 star(s) Rating: 4.00/5 2 Votes
Title: The Pale Blue Eye

Genre: Thriller, Mystery

Director: Scott Cooper

Cast: Christian Bale

Plot: A seasoned detective investigates a series of murders at the U.S. Military Academy in West Point in 1830. He is assisted in his investigation by an intelligent and eager young cadet named Edgar Allan Poe.

pale_blue_eye.jpeg

An old-fashioned detective murder mystery of high quality and with a twist of sorts. Great cast, including two I wasn't familiar with - the actor portraying Edgar Allan Poe, who is almost the main character and carries at least half the movie, and I've also liked Lucy Boynton, who played the doctor's daughter.
There's a movie called "All about the Benjamins", well this could be called "All about the Daughters".

Reactions: Space Cadet
This is my vote for movie of the year at this point :thumbs:. A murder mystery set in the 1800s with a extremely high production quality and an outstanding cast made my viewing an absolutely enjoyable experience. I was engaged from the get-go with the opening music score followed by the perfect immersive surround rendition of the sound in the opening scene. The Dolby Atmos mastering is superb for the streaming format (hoping this would be released on disc) with an expansive stage and immaculate timing of foley and echo signatures of dialog in rooms with acoustics of those days (scarce furniture). I would venture even the audio is a character in itself from the sounds of marching soldiers, animal sounds, howling wind, melting snow, splashing waves, heel clicks on wooden floors, metal clinks of rifles on parade, I could go on. Reference demo for Dolby Atmos for sure. Don't miss this one!

An old-fashioned detective murder mystery of high quality and with a twist of sorts. Great cast, including two I wasn't familiar with - the actor portraying Edgar Allan Poe, who is almost the main character and carries at least half the movie, and I've also liked Lucy Boynton, who played the doctor's daughter.
There's a movie called "All about the Benjamins", well this could be called "All about the Daughters".
The actor playing Edgar Allan Poe is Harry Melling; a UK actor who originally was a child star made famous for the role of Dudley Dursley in the Harry Potter movies. He looks markedly different nowadays.
Agreed, he was great in this amongst a stellar cast.
harry potter the dursleys GIF

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database