Release Date: October 30, 2018
Prices and Links:

Criterion: $31.96
Amazon: $27.99
ED3AA3FF-FA02-43FC-B389-0F9D90BB9A81.jpeg

Director
: Rob Reiner
Writer: William Goldman
Starring: Cary Elwes, Robin Wright, Mandy Patinkin, Chris Sarandon, Christopher Guest
  • United States
  • 98 minutes
  • 1.85:1
  • English
  • Spine #948
474FB9E6-CDCA-44A2-BFEE-900F95389246.png

A high-spirited adventure that pits true love against inconceivable odds, The Princess Bride has charmed legions of fans with its irreverent gags, eccentric ensemble, and dazzling swordplay. A kid (Fred Savage), home sick from school, grudgingly allows his grandfather (Peter Falk) to read him a dusty storybook—which is how we meet the innocent Buttercup (Robin Wright, in her breakout role), about to marry the nefarious Prince Humperdinck (Chris Sarandon) though her heart belongs to Westley (Cary Elwes). The wedding plans are interrupted, however, by a mysterious pirate, a vengeful Spaniard, and a good-natured giant, in a tale full of swashbuckling, romance, and outrageously hilarious spoofery. Directed by Rob Reiner from an endlessly quotable script by Oscar winner William Goldman, The Princess Bride reigns as a fairy-tale classic.

C81A375A-8179-41F8-8CAA-769752C3DC11.png

SPECIAL FEATURES
  • New 4K digital transfer, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • Audio commentary from 1996 featuring director Rob Reiner, screenwriter William Goldman, producer Andrew Scheinman, and actors Billy Crystal and Peter Falk
  • Edited 1987 audiobook reading of Goldman’s novel The Princess Bride by Reiner
  • New program about Goldman’s screenplay
  • New program about Goldman’s tapestry based on the film
  • Archival interviews with Reiner, Goldman, and actors Crystal, Cary Elwes, Christopher Guest, Mandy Patinkin, Chris Sarandon, Fred Savage, and Robin Wright
  • New interview with art director Richard Holland
  • Programs about makeup, fencing, and fairy tales
  • On-set video diary filmed and narrated by Elwes
  • Five behind-the-scenes videos with commentaries from 1996 by Reiner, Scheinman, and Crystal
  • Trailer
  • PLUS: An essay by author Sloane Crosley and, for the Blu-ray edition, Goldman’s introduction to his Princess Bride script from the 1995 collection Four Screenplays, in a lavishly illustrated, clothbound book

Last edited:
  • Helpful Post
Reactions: PunkNinja
This’ll be my first ever criterion. One of my favourite movies!
Criterion is one of the best distribution company out there and if they do this special packaging editions consistently, they're gonna be the best. (e.g. steelbooks)
You won't be disappointed :thumbs::thumbs:

Reactions: cooey
Would have loved Arrow in the UK to have done this one. Simply don't trust Criterion these days on their encoding. Too many fails in recent years.

Pre ordered from amazon usa even though it could be more expensive then getting it after release date as i think this digi book will sell out and the price sky rocket

You may have some of their cases already in your collection. Scanavo supplies them all their clear cases. Scanavo calls them criterion cases while you hear them referred to as scanavo keep cases etc. but I understand you mean actual movie. ha.
This’ll be my first ever criterion. One of my favourite movies!

Anyone have an issue when pulling the info sheet off the back? Of course Criterion had to put the glue right on the writing, taking some of the yellow coloring from the lettering.