Release Date August 14,2012
Purchase: Amazon

United States
110 minutes
Color
2.35:1
English

DIRECTOR APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION

Royal Tenenbaum (Gene Hackman) and his wife, Etheline (Anjelica Huston), had three children—Chas, Margot, and Richie—and then they separated. Chas (Ben Stiller) started buying real estate in his early teens and seemed to have an almost preternatural understanding of international finance. Margot (Gwyneth Paltrow) was a playwright and received a Braverman Grant of $50,000 in the ninth grade. Richie (Luke Wilson) was a junior champion tennis player and won the U.S. Nationals three years in a row. Virtually all memory of the brilliance of the young Tenenbaums was subsequently erased by two decades of betrayal, failure, and disaster. The Royal Tenenbaums is a hilarious, touching, and brilliantly stylized study of melancholy and redemption from Wes Anderson.

Disc features:
  1. Restored digital transfer, supervised by director Wes Anderson, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
  2. Audio commentary by Anderson
  3. With the Filmmaker: Portraits by Albert Maysles, featuring Anderson
  4. Interviews with and behind-the-scenes footage of actors Gene Hackman, Anjelica Huston, Ben Stiller, Gwyneth Paltrow, Luke Wilson, Owen Wilson, Bill Murray, and Danny Glover
  5. Outtakes
  6. The Peter Bradley Show, featuring interviews with additional cast members
  7. Scrapbook featuring young Richie’s murals and paintings, still photographs by set photographer James Hamilton, book and magazine covers, and storyboards
  8. Studio 360 radio segment on painter Miguel Calderón, along with examples of his work
  9. Trailers
  10. Collectible insert with Eric Anderson’s drawings
  11. PLUS: A new essay by film critic Kent Jones

157_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

Three reasons:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: dirtyoak
I'm sure that at least late this year or next year Life Aquatic will be released on Blu-Ray. I don't have much hope for Fantastic Mr. Fox since its such a popular film for families. But who knows.

Did anyone else get this? Mine is in a simple clear amaray sized case and not a digipack? Are they doing away with that packaging?

ColombianLove41
Using Tapatalk on iPhone 4

Did anyone else get this? Mine is in a simple clear amaray sized case and not a digipack? Are they doing away with that packaging?

ColombianLove41
Using Tapatalk on iPhone 4

All of my Criterion blu-rays have come in the clear case. But I know they used to come in some kind of cardboard packaging and people absolutely hated it. So they began sending replacement cases for those who requested them and phased out the cardboard packaging.

Reactions: Colombianlove41
All of my Criterion blu-rays have come in the clear case. But I know they used to come in some kind of cardboard packaging and people absolutely hated it. So they began sending replacement cases for those who requested them and phased out the cardboard packaging.

That's funny because I really liked the digipack cardboard packaging. Well, thanks. At least I know what to expect now.

What? Most people that buy Criterion's must be stupid then. Digipacks are sooo awesome!
Sad to hear that they don't make them anymore. :(

Digipacks are nice but get damaged waaaaay too easily (usually scuffed corners). I really like the clear cases with no stupid logos up top. They look stylish, not cheap like those horrible blue amarays or eco cases.

Can’t find a U.K. release thread for this but picked it up in the HMV 2 for £25

This is My first criterion release

I plan to get bottle rocket and life aquatic (which came out last week) and I hope the U.K. Get Darjeeling limited and fantastic mr Fox too

0E8DA003-6911-485B-BCFB-8E911B794318.jpeg

91C94E9B-6270-476D-A206-C2C68EEFBCE1.jpeg

39A5603D-3185-4594-877D-E82EC58A6FBA.jpeg

2D79F752-4BD8-4A2A-A425-EE2C2FE2F891.jpeg

CC527BEE-85EA-446C-AAEE-68259460B79C.jpeg

Last edited:
Definitely get Bottle Rocket. That and GBH are my fav Wes Anderson films.

Bottle rocket is actually my least favourite but I just love wes

I’d say life aquatic, Darjeeling, tenenbaums and fantastic mr Fox are mine

Do love GBH and moonrise too (not seen isle of dogs yet)