The Sinister Six - In theaters TBA

tridon

Est. 2011
Dec 5, 2011
Thunder Bay
The Spider-Man cinematic universe begins!

Writer/Director: Drew Goddard

Sony Pictures Entertainment, in association with Marvel Entertainment, is expanding the Spider-Man franchise by turning to villains with “Venom” and “The Sinister Six.”

The studio, in an announcement late Thursday night, disclosed that a quintet of writers — Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci, Jeff Pinkner, Ed Solomon, and Drew Goddard — will collaborate on overseeing the developing story over several films that will be produced by Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach.

The five writers, along with the two producers and Marc Webb, have formed a “franchise brain trust” to expand the universe for the brand — licensed from Marvel — and to develop a continuous tone and thread throughout the films.

Webb directed last year’s franchise reboot “The Amazing Spider-Man” and the upcoming “The Amazing Spider-Man 2.” Kurtzman, Orci and Pinkner wrote the screenplay for the latter, which Arad and Tolmach produced.

“This collaboration was born out of the great experience we and Marc had working with Alex, Bob, and Jeff on ‘The Amazing Spider-Man 2,’” Arad and Tolmach said. “With more than fifty years’ wealth of stories in the comic books to draw upon for inspiration, the Spider-Man universe is truly boundless; in addition, the Spider-Man comics have the greatest rogues gallery of any series, and to have the chance to explore that on film is truly thrilling.”

Kurtzman, Orci and Pinkner are writing the screenplay for “The Amazing Spider-Man 3,” which the studio hopes Webb will direct. That film will go into production next fall for release on June 10, 2016.

Sony made the announcement late Thursday night via the web site ElectoArrives.com.

Kurtzman will direct “Venom” from a script he’s writing with Orci and Solomon. Goddard will write “The Sinister Six” with an eye to direct.

Venom first appeared in 2007′s “Spider-Man 3” and was portrayed by Topher Grace.

Columbia Pictures president of production Hannah Minghella and Rachel O’Connor will oversee development and production of the films.

The four “Spider-Man” films, dating back to 2002, have grossed a combined $3.2 billion worldwide for the studio.

“The Spider-Man film franchise is one of our studio’s greatest assets,” said Columbia Pictures president Doug Belgrad. “We are thrilled with the creative team we have assembled to delve more deeply into the world that Marc, Avi and Matt have begun to explore in ‘The Amazing Spider-Man’ and ‘The Amazing Spider-Man 2.’ We believe that Marc, Alex, and Drew have uniquely exciting visions for how to expand the Spider-Man universe in each of these upcoming films.”

The announcement noted that the “brain trust” has experience in franchises. Kurtzman, Orci and Pinkner worked on the “Star Trek” and “Transformers” movies and TV’s “Alias” and “Fringe”; Goddard worked on “Alias” and “World War Z”; Solomon wrote “Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure” and “Men In Black.”

The announcement comes a week after the film studio tapped Micheal De Luca to be president of production in a team-up with Minghella. The studio, which has been through a rough year with several major flops, announced three weeks ago it was trimming its slate and moving to cut costs.

The expansion of the Spider-Man universe will give Sony at least two more tentpoles in “Venom” and “Sinister Six.” “The Amazing Spider-Man 2,” directed by Webb, is slated to open May 2, 2014 and the next installments have been set to bow June 10, 2016 and May 4, 2018.
Courtesy of Variety

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
Roberto Orci Talks Challenges of Making ‘Sinister Six’ and ‘Venom’ Movies

Sinister-Six.jpg

http://www.slashfilm.com/roberto-orci-talks-challenges-of-making-sinister-six-and-venom-movies/

Without an idea of what happens in The Amazing Spider-Man 2, it’s difficult to predict how this new, linked Spider-Man universe is going to unfold. We know Marc Webb‘s next movie is out May 2 and Sony has another sequel planned in 2016, followed by Sinister Six and Venom. However, the idea of building to films starring a bunch of famous villains such as Lizard, Electro, Rhino, Green Goblin, Vulture and Doc Ock seems almost insurmountable. In a new interview, a member of Sony’s new Spider-Man braintrust joked about that very thing.

Roberto Orci, who is co-writing The Amazing Spider-Man 3 as well as Venom, talked about the challenges a Sinister Six movie poses and likened the process of creating a Spider-Man universe with villains at the epicenter to making a season of television.

Orci’s quote comes from an interview with IGN. He covers a lot, so here are some highlights:

On the challenge of creating a Sinister Six movie:

That’s the discussion we’re having right now; how exactly do you do that, and how do you do it without betraying the audience and making them all mean? Drew Goddard is going to be writing that one, so it’s kind of his problem. [Laughs] I’m kidding. We’re all working on each other’s stuff. So we want to be true to it, but there are some antiheroes in this day and age. There’s been examples of that even on TV — Vic Mackey on The Shield, one of the great antiheroes of all time. There are ways to milk that story. Audiences have seen everything. They’ve seen all the good guys who never do anything wrong. Is there a story in seeing the other side? That’s the challenge, and that’s the fun. I’m not sure how we’re going to do that yet.

On whether he thinks the new Spider-Man world feels overly ambitious:

No it doesn’t, actually. It feels very familiar, because Alex and I started in television. In television, you get a great team of writers together, a writing staff, and you’re working on five episodes at once. You’re prepping one, you’re shooting one, you’re writing one, you’re posting one, and you’re trying to make sure they’re consistent over 13 or 22 episodes. That’s how we learned how to do things. So it’s funny in the movie business, and you have different things being done by different teams and they’re not all communicating with each other. So when we talked about our interest in all this stuff, we said, “Well, the way would want to do it is kind of go to a TV model,” and then the distinction between the quality of TV and film has gone away. They’re both equally viable, awesome storytelling formats. So the idea of, let’s get a core group of writers and producers and directors — and even though I might not be the one writing Venom, I’ll be in the meetings talking about how to make it interesting. We could be putting in easter eggs and planning ahead in the previous movies, and then that guy over there is going to write that movie, and Ed Solomon’s gonna write another one with us. So having a committee, a board, of people who are creative, who are filmmaker, who just keep it all together, that’s kind of going back to the way we started.

On why they’re focusing on the Spider-Man villains:

One of our old sayings always is “Whatever you’re afraid of, go there. Follow the fear. Don’t turn away from the fear.” So what you’re saying is exactly the reason why we’re doing it. Like, let’s try and challenge ourselves. Do we think of ourselves as ballsy? No. We’re the luckiest guys in the world. There’s no courage involved in this. [Laughs] But thank you for saying so. But you’re raising the correct point, which is head towards the difficult stuff.

It’s early days when it comes to all this. The Amazing Spider-Man 3 is next after this year and that’s not out until 2016. Based on trailer teases, you’d think that would set up Doc Ock and Vulture. With those characters set, as well as whomever shows up in The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Orci – along with Marc Webb, Alex Kurtzman, Jeff Pinkner, Ed Solomon and Drew Goddard - will have lots of groundwork set for Sinister Six and Venom. But will Spider-Man be a part? That anti-hero talk sounds like maybe not.

:movie:

Last edited by a moderator:
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 to Set Up The Sinister Six! :LOL:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=116491

It was confirmed by Sony Pictures late last year that the studio is looking at expanding their Marvel fare with upcoming big screen spinoffs like Venom and The Sinister Six. Today, EW has both revealed its latest cover, showcasing Marc Webb's The Amazing Spider-Man 2, and dropped a few more details about the expansion of the cinematic Spider-verse.

View attachment 65191

“At the tail end of this movie we set up some of the other characters that will probably end up being in the Sinister Six,” Sony Pictures co-chairman Amy Pascal tells the magazine. “We’re going forward on all fronts.”

Although the line-up of villains for the bad guy ensemble hasn't been revealed, the trailer for The Amazing Spider-Man 2 suggests that characters like Doctor Octopus and The Vulture are being eyed as potential recruits.

“Villains can be very entertaining,” adds producer Avi Arad. “It’s not like somebody’s born and they’re a villain. Something happens and it changes their lives. Some people can deal with it — they become the heroes. Some people can’t and hate the world because of what they felt was done to them — they become the villains.”

:movie:

Reactions: Drum18
Here's the likely Sinister Six roster according to ComingSoon...

image.jpg

Looks like Green Goblin, Electro, Vulture, Kraven, Doc Ock and someone who could be either Mysterio or Chameleon.

What about Sandman?

Also they need to redeem Venom!!! Make him Killer looking and not scrawny like that other thing from that one movie that doesn't exist for me......

I read somewhere saying that "Spider-man" wont be in either Sinister Six or Venom.
I cant imagine how that would work..

I read somewhere saying that "Spider-man" wont be in either Sinister Six or Venom.
I cant imagine how that would work..

I think Venom could work without Spidey. Sinister Six, on the other hand... I don't understand how that'll work at all. Are they just going to be sitting around a table in a boardroom discussing how they'll screw up Spidey's life in his next solo film? I mean, how could you make a film with all these villains and no Spidey? Unless it's Goblin and Electro flying around the world recruiting villains.

Yeah I'm guessing a the Vemon spinoff would go by the Ultimate series route, I mean we still dont know the extent of Richard Parker's research has gone (Vemon Project?)

This is probably stuck back "in development" until a more formal plan with Spiderman is realized. I could see it being done eventually, but it'll take time.

This is probably stuck back "in development" until a more formal plan with Spiderman is realized. I could see it being done eventually, but it'll take time.

Agree with you buddy, i think after civil war movie, me might see the movie

Reactions: chunk