Premium Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Usa
Price: 6,994 yen
Release date: June 24, 2015
Order: Amazon.co.jp

51kd8fvHi6L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Love the look of that. Very unsure if I will get it or not though. I already have the Play.com steelbook and a digipak with all 4 movies in it. That might be enough for me.

Reactions: Marco86
Looks fantastic but Amazon JP must get their sh/te together with their prices!
Unfortunately we've always had to pay a premium for Japanese goods. I dread to think how much I spent on Japanese DVDs back in the day

Japanese media is so expensive because they still use rental pricing. Nothing to do with Amazon or other stores marking stuff up; it's just the way things work over there. People generally live in small homes and don't have the space for massive collections, so the home video market isn't that big. People who buy movies in Japan are either wealthy or hardcore collectors who would buy things regardless of price so this outdated business practice has never changed. This is also why there are so many collector's editions in the Japanese market because home video is pretty much aimed exclusively at collectors.

Here's another pic of this release showing the spine (looks pretty thick)

This is supposed to have all the different Japanese dubs and television editions of the movie, so I'm guessing it's thick because it comes with a Japanese script book similar to other Japanese Fox editions like Alien and Die Hard.

Japanese media is so expensive because they still use rental pricing.

Ah, the good ol' rental pricing days. My parents and grandparents used to own a movie rental place when I was a kid. Since I was a film fanatic, they gave me the duty of ordering all videos for our stores. That's how I learned about box office, what's an A-movie and what's a B-movie, and so forth. I remember 95% of VHSs were $100+, so usually, there'd only be one copy of a film per store. Jurassic Park was sold for $20, though, so we ended up getting ten copies of that for each store. Man, those were the days. Memories. :)